• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    I bought a Tactical Solutions dedicated .22 upper today at the 1500, and come to find out, it looks like I might need a un-notched trigger for it to function properly. I wish the dude I bought it from would have told me that.

I think there is something else wrong with it too, but I'm not 100% certain yet. When you pull the charging handle all the way back, the bolt gets stuck and the the only way to un-stick it is to pop the upper loose from the lower. It's frustrating to say the least.

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    I just read online a couple days ago that they wanted you to have a rounded hammer for this upper. Stinks he didn't know enough to forwarn you. Hopefully your sticky bolt is due to this too. Good news is the rounded hammer isn't too expensive to buy.

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    I just read online a couple days ago that they wanted you to have a rounded hammer for this upper. Stinks he didn't know enough to forwarn you. Hopefully your sticky bolt is due to this too. Good news is the rounded hammer isn't too expensive to buy.

Yeah, I found that info while Googling my problem. However, I'm not sure that is what's causing the bolt to hang up. I sent TacSol an email to see what they say. A new hammer is gonna run me $25 - :xmad:

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Kind of makes me sick at my gut to think I spent $510 on something that doesn't work right out of the box. I even went outside and read reviews on my iPhone for about an hour before I went back in and bought it. Not one review mentioned that hammer either. The bolt is what has me baffled though.

hotrodtba

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jun 4, 2008
    Ossian
    A guy I work with is running one on a lower with a notched hammer, and it has run 100% for him. Might want to try it out first.

lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    I worked on a Spikes dedicated upper awhile baclk. They recommend an un-notched hammer. While I had it, I tried several different lowers, including a lower with a regular notched hammer. Had no problems with it. As others have suggested, I would try it with your current system first before changing it.

The sticky charging handle/bolt is your main problem right now. Can you tell if the bolt is dragging on the bolt latch in the lower (the one for a .223 bolt)? Some systems require that you remove a few thousandths off the top of the bolt catch. If it was too tall, it could jam against the smaller contaned .22 bolt. See if there are any score marks on the underside of the .22 bolt.

If you're going to dedicate this lower to the .22 upper, you can just remove the bolt catch in the lower since you don't use it.

Good luck! :yesway:

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    I will try to take a video of it later when I get a chance, but the conversion bolt has to be pressed in because it gets stuck on the buffer spring I think. If I take the bolt out, the upper seats into the lower just fine, but with the bolt in, it will not seat. Also, I think I mentioned that the charging handle when pulled all the way back causes the bolt to become lodged in the upper.

I'm totally bummed about this deal. I am having buyers remorse in a HUGE way.

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Tactical Solutions just called me and they want me to send a video of what I am trying to describe. So far they seem like stand up guys over there as they seemed to try to go out of the way to help me out. That's a HUGE plus!

I will keep this thread informed as to what I find out.

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Unbelievable. I took this upper out to shoot tonight for the first time, and the bolt slid out of the upper, and fell to the ground in about 10 pieces. There were springs flying and parts and pieces going everywhere. Now I have a POS $500 paperweight with no bolt.

What a total turd of a buy.

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    You FAILED empathy school today! :D

Perhaps 360 is pulling an April Fool's Day joke on his INGO buddies....I hope that's the case. If not, then he's having a very bad day......:noway:
    It is absolutely NOT a April Fools. I found a lot of the parts that fell off, but I am pretty sure I am missing something. I can't find a diagram to tell me what goes where. I have a mystery washer, and I am missing a E clip.

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    I emailed TSol to see if they could provide me with a .pdf parts diagram. I also told them what a turd I feel I bought.

wetidlerjr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2008
    TIPTON
    I emailed TSol to see if they could provide me with a .pdf parts diagram. I also told them what a turd I feel I bought.

Yes, the bolt will fall out and yes, the hammer change will most likely (9 out of 10) solve both problems. I have a TacSol upper like yours but I knew going in what it needed so I didn't have any problems. I had done some reading on ARFCOM about dedicated 22LR uppers so that helped. TacSol is a good company with a good rep and I am confident they will take care of you.
    Sorry about your luck as my upper is nearly flawless.
    From their website:
    AR-15 Conversion
    Our Products: Barrels and Uppers > AR-15 Conversion
    M4%20M.jpg

The AR-15 .22 Conversion unit is the newest innovation from Tactical Solutions. It will work on most standard AR-15 lower and is sold as a self-contained complete unit (upper receiver and barrel). If your lower has a notched hammer, this may cause functionality issues and we recommend replacing it with a non-notched hammer which can be found here. (Please see picture below)

There are three model options available:

AR-15 M4: This option is similar to the standard military AR-15. It features an A1 Flash hider.

AR-15 LT: This lightweight option features a threaded aluminum barrel and Hogue forend.

AR-15 MC: This integrally suppressed conversion unit features a monocore unit with removable titanium baffles for easy cleaning.

notched%20hammer.jpg

This is a picture of a notched hammer. If you have a notched hammer, we have a very simple remedy that will not affect the functionality of your firearm. All you need is a replacement hammer that is not notched.

WARNING: We do not recommend the use of Remmington® Golden Bulk Ammunition. It is also recommended to not use CMMG Magazines with our product.

wetidlerjr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2008
    TIPTON
    The bolt should not just fall out. That is a design flaw IMO.

Things like that are why I always try to do some research before buying and it helped that a friend bought the TacSol upper before I did. If it is any comfort, I dropped mine even after I knew of the "fall-out" but mine didn't completely self-destruct. Caveat emptor. :dunno:

Top Bottom