• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GunnSlinger

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 5, 2009
    Building an HD shotgun on the Mossberg 500 platform. Plans include 18.5" barrel, ghost ring sites, tac light, etc. Looking for opinions on which stock to buy. I want a folder with a pistol grip and want to hear what you think about them and what brands people like/dislike and why. Thanks :biggun:

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    I want a folder with a pistol grip

Why? :dunno:

I've seen a few pistol-gripped (solid) stocks that are decent, and there are some pretty nice collapsibles out there, but I've never encountered a folder (side or top) for a shotgun that has been any good.

IMO, you would be best served putting on a fixed stock with a short LOP like the Speedfeed IV-S (pistol gripped) or Hogue (non pistol gripped).

I suggest you consult Ron @ TSG (he goes by Gungho_1989 here and is a Site Advertiser) for his expert opinion.

My :twocents:

motoman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 19, 2008
    Idaho
    have you thought of putting a collapable stock on it? those adjust for different needs and are sturdy. i use one on a saiga and it handles well.

redneck919

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2009
    southside
    id put an ati collapsible stock on it.18.5" barrel. mount you a flashlight and be done with it.dont really need to other non sense to clutter it up.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    That's because Mossberg has no buisness making rifles. They should stick to what they know, and that's shotguns. Why does everyone think because you add a light, ghost ring sites, and a pistol grip you have a tachtitool shotgun. I think people need to look up the word tachtical. I mean to drop all that money for a shotgun you will probably never use for self defense. Why not buy ammo, and practice your shooting skills. All that crap is not going to do you any good, if you cant shoot worth a damn. Praying, and spraying is not tachtical either. my :twocents:

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    I don't recommend the use of folding stocks on shotguns.

I am also not a fan of the Knoxx series of recoil reducing stocks.

I am a fan of the Choate pistol grip buttstock, buy the youth model for the short LOP. (This is for an Remington 870.)

Since your using a Mossberg shotgun, and the safety location is designed for normal, non-pistol grip type buttstock, I recommend using any "normal" type buttstock that has been shortened to fit the user/owner of the gun.

I had tried the MESA tactical adapter that allows use AR type buttstocks and pistol grips, and while it was well made and performed perfectly, it didn't give me the cheek weld that I was comfortable with due the the lack of "drop".

That being said, heed shooter521's advice and contact member Gungho_1989, he is the shotgun dude.

Calvin

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Bloomington, IN
    I have an 870p that I decked out at Tacticalshotgunner in Indy. I chose the following:

Mesa Recoil Reduction Stock
    Hogue Forend
    Enlarged Tactical Safety
    Choate +3 extension
    Some cool upgrade follower
    6 shot sidesaddle
    Slip over rubber butpad for the Mesa M-4 stock (further recoil reduction and comfort)

In the coincidence of coinidences I shot it for the first time today. All I can say is how tremendously pleased I am with it. What a great gun. I shot 7 1/2 and 00buck with no problems. Even my buddy, who is a terrible shot, tore it up with the shotgun at 50 yards. He loved the ergonomics and especially the Hogue grippers.

Also, I agree about the Knoxx stock having serious drawbacks. It cost me an additional 150 bucks to get the Mesa unit, but there is really no comparison.

After shooting a variety of AK-47 and AK-74s, we both agreed the shotgun was a very powerful weapon in it's own right. In many ways it was superior to the rifles at 50 yards. The experience has me thinking that a semi shotty might be something wonderful to own.

Just go into the Tacticalshotgunner store with a little time to burn and they will set you up.

As an added bonus you get to love on their dog :D

-Calvin

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    ok, I would like more info on the issues with the Knoxx stock. Ive planned to buy one and now you guys have me questioning that decision.

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    ok, I would like more info on the issues with the Knoxx stock. Ive planned to buy one and now you guys have me questioning that decision.

The only issue that I am aware of, is the possible friction issues if you use an aftermarket safety on a Remmington 870, but this is not firsthand experience only hearsay.

I don't like them because they are a un-needed moving part, but they do "do" what they are made to do, reduce recoil. Now, if you have a shoulder problem or are recoil sensitive, which is nothing to be ashamed about, by all means give it a try.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    I'm going to chime-in on stocks here. First, you don't *need* a recoil-reducing stock unless you are shooting very heavy 3.5" loads on a consistent basis. Any ol' stock will suffice because the way you mount and shoulder the gun makes the biggest difference in recoil management. I put about 600 rounds through my 870 in the last 3 days including slugs and 00buck and I don't have a mark on me, nor any soreness at all. The collapsible stocks offer you the ability to maintain your correct cheek-weld with different clothing such as when switching from shooting in a tee shirt to shooting with body armor or a heavy coat. If you want one because you like the aesthetics, then go for it, but it is not the only choice for recoil management.

I'll second BigCraig and Shooter521 with their recommendation of the Choate or SpeedFeed short LOP stocks. One school of thought is that the correct LOP for your shotgun stock should be measured by the length of your forearm. What you do is put the butt of the gun in the inside of your elbow, pointing upward. The second knuckle on your trigger finger should be in line with the trigger. This would be the correct stock length.

I run SpeedFeed short LOP stocks on my 870s because they just fit me better. I tried a Choate and it didn't fit me so good, but it was not a short/youth stock. That said, I like the grip feel on the Choate.

While we're on the subject, and it's fresh on my mind, some things that are useful on a "tactical" gun are quality mag extensions, quality sights and a quality sling. I could go on all day, but you asked about stocks and I answered (and then some).

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Nick do you have any more detailed pictures of your stocks besides the one with the shottys leaned up against the safe?

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    Will this photo help?
    policestuff_2065_75580303

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Folders suck as a primary gun and of course they can tear the hell out of you. The only one I have ever owned was the Knoxx and it serves a specialized use for me, by no means my primary gun. It is light weight, travels great in a 3 gun bag, fits under my truck seat, great in camp and.........

The one use a Folder truly has, that few ever see is large game hunting. You get in and out of a truck, crawl up and down uneven terrain. A shorter gun/folding stock is great for all that and the recoil reduction of the Knoxx allows you to shoot prone with slugs and not kill your shoulder. If you look closely you see the loop to connect to my Urban ERT sling, this gun will sling under my arm and not drag the ground, even with the hastings barrel on it. This gun now has a Nordic +2 mag ext and Nordic mag clamp with rail and TLR1 light.

870knoxx004resized.jpg

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    The only issue that I am aware of, is the possible friction issues if you use an aftermarket safety on a Remmington 870, but this is not firsthand experience only hearsay.
    It's a fact Jack.................stock safety only and no side saddles of any kind.

Last edited:

Calvin

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Bloomington, IN
    My issues with the Knoxx stock are twofold.

First, there is the issue of the aftermarket safety not clearing the frame into which the action recoils back into the stock. Mine was the smaller of the aftermarket safeties and it had about 1/8 of an inch where it would hit the side of the grip cutout for the recoil of the action.

Second is the way that it recoils up the ramp. One of my goals in this build was to make a shotgun that my wife could shoot as well as myself. Since she weighs less than 110 pounds I needed to take as much off the recoil as possible. It also happens that she has naturally curly hair which I found would lay directly on the recoil ramp. The last thing I wanted was to have her hair somehow get caught in the ramp after firing a round. I also hear men with beards can have the same issue (not an issue for me). It also looked quite possible that I would get cheek pounded by it as I like to get my cheek down on the stock.

Anyways, the Mesa unit has none of these issues at all. Because my aftermarket safety and my wife's ability to shoot the shotgun were my top priorities, the choice for me was a no brainer.

-Calvin

Top Bottom