• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    Sometimes I think this is like the Japanese navy in the Pacific during WWII. While great a night fighting, early in the war their procedure was to switch on searchlights to light up targets. American response: aim at the searchlights. Japanese counter-response: stop using searchlights.

shoot the radio

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2011
    Have gtl10 glock lite on my g19...I use it for home defense. My thinking,all in one go to package if half asllep middle nite disturbance...my .02 cents

turnerdye1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    North Central IN
    2 cases in which the flashlight would benefit you

1: It most cases if you have to draw your gun on somebody you should be willing to pull the trigger. If your light goes on somebody and they are a friend then you dont shoot. But if it is a enemy then you pull the trigger before he does. The light makes sure you shoot the bad guy not your friend.

2. Flashlight can also cause a quick case of blindness which gives you a few seconds advantage over the bad guy

danielocean03

Come in, Manacle Shark.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Hamilton County

1: It most cases if you have to draw your gun on somebody you should be willing to pull the trigger. If your light goes on somebody and they are a friend then you dont shoot. But if it is a enemy then you pull the trigger before he does. The light makes sure you shoot the bad guy not your friend.

2. Flashlight can also cause a quick case of blindness which gives you a few seconds advantage over the bad guy

Both excellent and valid points. :yesway:

Jtgarner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Bloomington

THIS! I carry one because if I need it I have it already pointed at the target. The idea of a weapon mounted light is not to search around, it is to ID the target before pulling the trigger.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    I prefer a separate flashlight for my most likely uses but have a rail mounted light I can swap between various firearms as well if needed.

Vince49

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2010
    Indy urban west.
    Arc light!

Anyone that could look into the beam of any of the modern LED lights and get off an even close to accurate shot must be wearing a welding helmet. Those things are NOT your Daddy's flashlight! I have a TLR-1 mounted on my home defense G22 that will only be switched on when I am ready to shoot. I am too old and too much of a Klutz to dink around with a pistol and a handheld light. :cool:

PS: I do train extensively. I go to the range at least twice a week and practice very hard everyday at not shooting myself in the foot!

Shay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Indy
    Proper training in how to better use a light and a weapon at the same time will improve your ability to shoot people in low light and at the same time help you not get shot.

Turning your light on and standing still in a gun fight may not bring the positive results you are looking for.

riverman67

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Morgan County
    I prefer the separate light approach
    I won't want to sweep my muzzle over everything that I may need point the light at.
    As far a making you a target , the light shouldn't be on constantly and you should be moving while using it:twocents:

mercop

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    PA
    Too often is it used as a light with a gun attached instead of a gun with a light attached. Even for police the only people that "need" them are SWAT for bunker work and dog handlers. Just my $.02. YMMV- George

Patrolman1981

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2010
    Richmond, In
    Yes in some cases it could give away your location. In my role as a LEO, I have used it as an advantage blinding my suspect for a moment before I make my defensive move. It really does give you a moment to react by stunning your suspect.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom