• ...and so much more!
  • Tandor

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 4, 2011
    Chesterton
    My question:
    "what if any laws regarding carring a "Asp" like baton. 21" in length. I bought one for my daugthers (under 21 but over 18 years old).:dunno:

Tandor

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 4, 2011
    Chesterton
    Yes, Indiana (Northwest)
    One goes to school In Ft. Wanye Not sure what her school says about them, may not be a good idea

Rating - 100%
    139   0   0
    Sep 3, 2010
    They're a weapon that tends to take some training and lots of practice to employ effectively, and can be somewhat hard to retain if the aggressor is stronger....I wouldn't recommend one to most females, unless maybe its for follow on shots after the pepper spray is used.

PaulF

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I am not a lawyer so I cannot comment on the legality of batons in Indiana, however I would caution you against arming your daughters with such a cumbersome weapon that can easily be used against them...if they choose to carry it at all. Pepper Spray seems like a much more reasonable choice, as it is easily carried and is non-lethal should the attacker get his hands on it. I mean, seriously...can you imagine what would happen if an enraged attacker got his hands on your little girl's collapsable steel baton!?!

Just a thought...

Tandor

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 4, 2011
    Chesterton
    Hoot, got my answer, for others, you can carry these in Indiana as long as its for defensive purposes and not used as a offensive weapon (ie used to commit a crime) Duh, as a law abiding gun owner I'm not the one Law enforcement should worry about..

lrahm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Newburgh
    The last couple of posts hit the nail on the head. They can be used against them also they would need training (on going training). I don't know if this is a good thing. Ask them if they would be interested in a good martial arts class.

Tandor

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 4, 2011
    Chesterton
    It will be deployed (such a strong word) with pepper spray, They both carry. Just alittle something until they can CC. Also @Homebrew, I tried tactical ballons but they don't really help even on clowns..

thebishopp

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 26, 2010
    Indiana
    to the OP.

You may want to check out Kimber's line of OC spray. They have a defender model that fits in the palm of your hand and fires out two shots of high pressure OC at 90mph. In addition to the keltec 380 I bought for my GF to carry (which is a pita to get her to do so - but that is a whole 'nother rant) I got her one of those pepperblasters (which she does carry more often - she is a nurse and the hospital won't fire her for carrying it on their property).

Kimber America > Products

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Also a baton might be quite hard to conceal for a female, depending on her body type and the type of clothes she's wearing.
    If she cant have it on her person, and has to leave it in her bag (steel batons are somewhat heavy and thick if you carry them inside the waist band) then it's like not having a weapon at all.
    And like some other mentioned, baton takes training, to deploy, to use, you need to practice draws, practice strikes on bags, practice retention skills and such.

Like some have said already, a pepper spray (either on keys on pocket, or both, on her person) may be a better option.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    to the OP.

You may want to check out Kimber's line of OC spray. They have a defender model that fits in the palm of your hand and fires out two shots of high pressure OC at 90mph. In addition to the keltec 380 I bought for my GF to carry (which is a pita to get her to do so - but that is a whole 'nother rant) I got her one of those pepperblasters (which she does carry more often - she is a nurse and the hospital won't fire her for carrying it on their property).

Kimber America > Products

I dont think the Kimber spray is the best option, it's a two shots only.
    That's not a lot especially if you miss with the first one because your attacker is moving and you are under stress.
    With a regular small can of spray you can get 6 to 10 shots.
    Also with the Kimber spray, how do you train with it? You cant, you need to buy a second one just for that (and they are expensive compared to regular spray), then you have to carry one not knowing if it will work when you need it to work.
    With regular cans you can spray it once to make sure that you carry a working unit, you can also buy another cheap one to empty during training.

:twocents:

lrahm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Newburgh
    They're a weapon that tends to take some training and lots of practice to employ effectively, and can be somewhat hard to retain if the aggressor is stronger....I wouldn't recommend one to most females, unless maybe its for follow on shots after the pepper spray is used.

Plus you have to look at the use of the baton. Certain strikes have to be considered "deadly force".

thebishopp

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 26, 2010
    Indiana
    I dont think the Kimber spray is the best option, it's a two shots only.
    That's not a lot especially if you miss with the first one because your attacker is moving and you are under stress.
    With a regular small can of spray you can get 6 to 10 shots.
    Also with the Kimber spray, how do you train with it? You cant, you need to buy a second one just for that (and they are expensive compared to regular spray), then you have to carry one not knowing if it will work when you need it to work.
    With regular cans you can spray it once to make sure that you carry a working unit, you can also buy another cheap one to empty during training.

:twocents:

It was a thought I had when I originally saw this item however...

the spray comes out at 90mph. That is pretty darn fast and at a pretty high pressure. getting hit in the face by a 90mph blast of pepper spray can NOT be pleasant. it will force it's way up into the nasal cavities at the very least even if they have their eyes closed.

the thing is that more spray does not mean better nor does it help. you either hit the eyes or you do not and you will do so by the first or second shot. it is unlikely that continued spraying will hit an attack after those first moments.

the one thing I like about the design is that it fits right smack in your hand and points quite naturally.

having been sprayed in the face with oc back in my badge wearing days I can say that it wasn't that bad (imo). I am pretty confident in saying that I would not have liked being hit in the face OC at 90mph.

thebishopp

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 26, 2010
    Indiana
    Another note about the baton... the fact is that it also is designed to use hydrostatic shock delivered to key points to disable an aggressor. It does a lot less damage than a solid old fashioned baton would. While great in some cases it may also take quite a bit more hits to stop an attacker. Of course strikes to areas like the head would work most effectively however this a "no-no" for leo's (I am an ASP certified instructor). Since the daughter is not an LEO such head strikes may not be an issue for her.

Of course OC has it's own set of problems regarding effectiveness as well as most any non-lethal means of defense.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Another note about the baton... the fact is that it also is designed to use hydrostatic shock delivered to key points to disable an aggressor. It does a lot less damage than a solid old fashioned baton would. While great in some cases it may also take quite a bit more hits to stop an attacker. Of course strikes to areas like the head would work most effectively however this a "no-no" for leo's (I am an ASP certified instructor). Since the daughter is not an LEO such head strikes may not be an issue for her.

Of course OC has it's own set of problems regarding effectiveness as well as most any non-lethal means of defense.

I like the baton because you have 3 different levels of force depending on the threat level.
    That's how I understand it anyway, I train with the baton and I have a martial art background, but no "official certification".
    You can either target large muscle groups to induce pain, that wont cause long lasting damages to the victim and will make most attackers think twice about hurting you.
    If that's not enough you can hit bones, a hit to the knee cap will bring your attacker down.That will be long lasting damages but wont kill the victim.
    If that's still not enough you can use deadly force and strike the head.

With pepper spray you just have one level of force which is non lethal.It can be good because you wont kill the person by accident, but it can be bad too in case you need deadly force because a simple spray to the eyes is not enough to stop the attack.

As far as head strikes to the head by LEOs it's only a "no no" if the use of force is NOT justify, right?
    If the use of force is justicy it doesn't matter if the LEO uses his handgun, shotgun or baton to kill the attacker.It would be still justified.
    That would be logical.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom