• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SerereWarrior

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2012
    I'm interested in a tactical .22. I'd like to have something with a sizable magazine, but just a basic model.

I would appreciate some feedback as to what to avoid as well as what's the most suitable firearm.

kbailey

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Lafayette
    I like the Sig 522 and a lot of people like the S&W 15-22. You could also buy a dedicated .22 upper from CMMG for an existing ar15 if you have one. Or you could convert a Ruger 10-22 with a kit like the archangel.

ForceTA308

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 4, 2012
    I'm sure that many of the "tactical" variant 22's offered are good pieces, but from personal experience I have an M&P 15-22 that's been a blast and worry free so far. Only issue I have had has been a failure to feed due to the magazine.

bigmedicine

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood
    I love my 15-22. I actually went kinda/sorta crazy and put the same trigger in it as I have in my M&P 15 (a Wilson TTU). Now it is the perfect trainer for me.

OMG-ZOMBIES

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 7, 2012
    You won't regret a S & W 15-22. So much fun to shoot, got mine out to play one day last summer and the college kid helping me decided it was the best day at work ever!

mshogren

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 20, 2010
    Arcadia
    Sig 522 here...I love it except for the factory iron sights that I almost lost the first time I shot it. I put a 1-4 Millett on it and she shoots great!

Mark

TAT7

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 27, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I vote M&P 15-22....but if you want the 10-22 by ruger then...

004.jpg

astenftenagel

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2012
    Dubois Co.
    I own a colt m4 carbine .22 with a 2x7 scope on it, i cant stop shooting it, its addicting, and a very nice rifle. no complaints so far, thats what i chose anyway, but I have a friend who owns a 10/22 and he seems to like it quite a bit, and between the mp15 and 10/22, i would choose the ruger and put all the tactical gear on it. i think any route you go you'll have a blast with it, especially if you're new to ar's like i am!

chef larry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 27, 2010
    Hobart,In
    I was loking at the S&W 15-22 also and found the Henry Lever Action Rifle as a better way to go. Picked up a HOO1 tube fed for 15 rounds of .22 long rifle, 17 rounds of .22 long, and up to 21 rounds of .22 short. Just another option, a little cheaper and spend the difference for more .22 ammo.

SerereWarrior

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2012
    Thanks everyone for your suggestions. Now I have a place to start research.

Hjharnett: I've always been a strong fan of all things Mossberg and was surprised to read of jamming problems. Thanks, I'll stay away from that rifle.

Bikerdad61

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Dec 4, 2010
    Sullivan
    I have a Colt M4 Also All the important parts are metal. The Colt accepts all the AR accessories. It's a real Fun gun!

^^^^^^^^ +1 The Colts are a great little AR style 22. I wouldn't trade the one I have for a dozen of the plastic S&W 15-22. My next in line is the GSG-5 HK MP5 clones. Have two of them and they both shoot great.

Regular Guy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2012
    NW Indiana
    I own a colt m4 carbine .22 with a 2x7 scope on it, i cant stop shooting it, its addicting, and a very nice rifle. no complaints so far, thats what i chose anyway, but I have a friend who owns a 10/22 and he seems to like it quite a bit, and between the mp15 and 10/22, i would choose the ruger and put all the tactical gear on it. i think any route you go you'll have a blast with it, especially if you're new to ar's like i am!

Agreed with the Colt M4. It's made in Germany by Walther, and imported by Umarex. A lot of people bash them around gun forums, but from what I saw a lot of people that complain about them don't actually have one, but they've "heard" they're no good because they're "made by Umarex". There were some issues with the earlier ones, but a Colt / Umarex tech rep told me design changes were made around the 50,000 serial number range to improve things. Mine functions great.

Ruger 10-22 is also a good choice, throw on a Butler Creek folding stock and a 25 round magazine and you're good to go. And, it's easy to throw the wood or synthetic factory stock back on it if need be.

Last edited:

bstewrat3

Master
    Rating - 100%
    144   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Beech Grove
    I vote 10/22 just because there are so many directions you can take it. If you ever want something other than a tactical style the Ruger will get you there easier.

LionsFan1911Man

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 3, 2012
    I ended up getting an ISSC MK22, which is a clone of the FNH SCAR. I gotta say, this gun is sweet. The metal foreends are sturdy and the 22rd mag is great too. It also has battle sights that flip down to be pistol sights. Highly reccomend this if you have been interested in a fun .22!-----I actually just posted this in a new thread because I was so happy with it and I had not seen this one :)

Top Bottom