• Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I was talking about handling a panhandler/unknown contact that is approaching you earlier with a friend. I recall a technique that was basically tell, yell, etc. but I cant find the link in my notes.

When approached you politely decline (no thanks, I dont have any cash), then firmly respond when they dont take no for an answer, and finally yell at them to attract attention and make it 150% clear you arent having any of it.

Anyone have the link to the story?

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Tactical rudeness. "No, thanks." "I said no thanks." "WTF is wrong with you? I said No Effing Thanks now get the eff away from me." Gavin di Becker's "Gift of Fear" talks about it, though not in those particular terms.

It's important to watch body language indicators. Are they just being annoying, or are they maneuvering for position and becoming more aggressive? Are they chemically "augmented", are they fronting in front of their buddies? That can dictate the appropriate response as well.

I was waiting on IndyJohn and OkieGirl in a parking lot to get my coin. Homeless Joe comes up to my truck and says "I'm a homeless veteran and..." I interrupted him and asked to see his VA card. He said "they didn't give it back to me". I told him to have a good day and then just started at him. He blathered for a few minutes and I gave zero reaction, just continued to look at him, no facial movement, no body movement, I denied him ALL verbal and non-verbal communication. It made him nervous enough he thanked me and hustled off mid-beg before he even asked me for anything. I don't recommend this for everyone and for every situation, but it works for me. Practice it with a surly customer service rep sometime. It's amazing how eerie total lack of communication is to people, particularly in emotionally agitated states. It has to be *total* non-communication, though. No twitching, no fidgets, no overt staring without blinking but prolonged eye contact and *nothing* else.

What you're likely referencing is a version of "ask, tell, make"

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Ask tell make... thats it. Thank you sir!

And I can only imagine how unnerving that could be. A variation of "Out crazy the crazy".

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    Last edited:

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads