• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • X piller X

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2014
    Indy
    Went in at 9pm open carrying. No one else was there. The manager was taking my order and looked down and asks if I ever have issues carrying like that. I simply say in our state legally licensed persons can carry how they choose. I said it in a kind informative way and the manager fires back with an attitude and says "well I dont have to serve you" I tell him " and I dont have to support this business" he then said " well if someone complains I will have to ask you to leave."I think ill just be making a call to the corporate office to get their input on policy and the situation.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    Been in there, didn't have an issue. Quite likely, if you ask corporate, they'll say 'No', then immediately have their stores post GFZ signs.

What MIGHT be better, is to explain to Corporate the rudeness with which you were treated while being lawful in the store, explaining that you COULD sue them for being harassed, and demand the Manager's termination.

JMO, don't "ask permission", but demand action. That they uphold your rights.

IMO, what has to happen is that these various public businesses are defined as such. Yes, one's home is 'private property'. But any business that invites in customers and allows them on premises is not. It's a 'place of public access', and for purposes of carrying, should be required to follow the same laws as the parks, zoos, etc.

NO public business should be allowed to violate the Indiana or U.S. Constitutions under any guise of "private property". A city or town cannot write an 'ordinance' that preempts gun carry laws, NO business should be able to do it, either. That would put a stop to this nonsense.

Last edited:

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    Went in at 9pm open carrying. No one else was there. The manager was taking my order and looked down and asks if I ever have issues carrying like that. I simply say in our state legally licensed persons can carry how they choose. I said it in a kind informative way and the manager fires back with an attitude and says "well I dont have to serve you" I tell him " and I dont have to support this business" he then said " well if someone complains I will have to ask you to leave."I think ill just be making a call to the corporate office to get their input on policy and the situation.
    That's dumb. What was that Taco Bell guy's problem? Geez...some people just don't get it.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    That's dumb. What was that Taco Bell guy's problem? Geez...some people just don't get it.

Well, his first problem is he manages a taco hell.

And I'll second MG. Call corp and complain that you were treated rudely by a manager. Thats really all that matters. Nothing like a manager on a power trip. :n00b:

And I have been in a similar situation. My wife says I sound like a jerk when I am explaining something matter of factly that I am confident about. If you are like me he probaby misread your polite information as you being a cocky know it all. Then again, a manager shouldnt react that way during a conversation unless you were being belligerent.

Oh, and in before the CC/OC crowd gets in a tizzy.

ilikeguns

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Prairie Creek
    JMO but most people don't like being preached at and it is easy to come across wrong when saying something in An "informative way." You probably just rubbed the guy the wrong way and it went downhill from there. As for the rest of the conversation, I have the freedom to go sit at taco bell, yelling into my phone with my mouth full of eight hour old ground meat of dubious origin smothered in hot sauce, lettuce flying out of my mouth while dropping the F-bomb every other word and calling my sixth wife a fat useless hooker. But if the people around me complain I am going to get asked to leave. Has nothing to do with my rights or freedoms and everything to do with the business pleasing the most people at once and making the most money possible.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    Oh, and in before the CC/OC crowd gets in a tizzy.
    LOL, yep. I primarily CC, but I'm a JFC guy.

Here's a thought. Business aren't allowed to 'discriminate' against any other group, and will immediately come under 'fire' and loud, screaming 'protest' because they've "been wronged", always under the "that business violated my rights" guise, whether the claim is legitimate or not.

Well, the OP had a legal right to be where he was, a legal right to openly carry, and was legally in a place of public access. WHY, then, haven't HIS rights under the Indiana and U.S. Constitutions been violated? :scratch:

Sorry, I'm still strongly of the opinion that places that invite the public in to gain business should be required to adhere to the 'law of the land'. If ya can't refuse to serve someone for being a certain skin color, religion, or sexual persuasion, then ya can't refuse if they're legally carrying. BOTH violate the person's rights.

Any business that doesn't like that should not be able to conduct business with the public. JMO, that's what it's gonna take, a few publicized lawsuits, to get businesses to change their 'anti-gun policies'.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    "well I dont have to serve you"

I would get incredibly irate and start mumbling about another homophobic store manager refusing to serve gays as you pull out your phone and talk about calling your lawyer. Ask the guy to spell his name and the name of the owner of the store. totally put him on the defensive. You'd probably get free food.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    The company that owns Taco Bell and Pizza Hut and others (yum foods), doesn't support even their employees having the right to defend themselves with legal firearms, so I don't support them with my money. Their tacos suck anyways

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    The only time I go to TB is for those ridiculous Doritos tacos. Those things are good.
    But yes, the above mentioned usually hits some time after. Sigh

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    The manager was taking my order and looked down and asks if I ever have issues carrying like that. I simply say in our state legally licensed persons can carry how they choose.

I wonder if the reason he "got an attitude" is because instead of answering his question, you lectured him on open carry. Seems like a simple "yes" or "no" would have been sufficient. I wasn't there, and I can only go by your description of the encounter.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Since when was Taco Bell a "public business"? WTH is a "public business?

You guys do realize that the Consitution tells the GOVERNMENT what it cannot do. It does not apply in any way to a private individual or business?

X piller X

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2014
    Indy
    I don't think it was the way I informed him that set him off. I think his attitude came from the fact he has to micro manage 16 year olds all day, and thinks he can treat his customers in the same manner.

It just kind of shocked me, this was the first time in 6 months of OC that I've had a bad experience. I guess some people get mad when someone is giving them a little sense of safety.

I'll stick to my Beech Grove tacobell from now on. Never had an issue there

Last edited:

Destro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 10, 2011
    The Khyber Pass
    I don't think it was the way I informed him that set him off. I think his attitude came from the fact he has to micro manage 16 year olds all day, and thinks he can treat his customers in the same manner.

It just kind of shocked me, this was the first time in 6 months of OC that I've had a bad experience. I guess some people get mad when someone is giving them a little sense of safety.

I'll stick to my Beech Grove tacobell from now on. Never had an issue there

you really showed him

Top Bottom