• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Spot Me 2

Expert
    Rating - 97.8%
    45   1   0
    I have decided to make my 10/22 into a tack driver. So far I just have a lot of parts on order. I ordered a custom "tack driver" stock from Richards. I have a shooters ridge .920 target bull barrel coming along with some other things.
    Here is a pic of the stock. Mine will be a little different and in different colors.
    SilhouetteLHSide.jpg

SilhouetteRHSide10inch.jpg

And here is how the gun sits now.

n1444864843_30352123_7842932.jpg

I will post more pics as the parts come in and the build comes together.:rockwoot:

Last edited:

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    just a thought, while you have everything out you should polish the inside of the receiver where the action slides back and forth, should help with your tack driver mission.

standeford

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Any trigger plans?

They will stand in the way of driving tacks, but they are pretty easy to work over. KIDD also makes a fantastic drop in replacement.

Spot Me 2

Expert
    Rating - 97.8%
    45   1   0
    Any trigger plans?

The plan right now is to do my own trigger job. I have all the info I need and what to do from a gunsmith that sells his jobs on Rimfirecentral for $90 with a ton of good feedback. Trigger pull should be right at 2lbs with verylittle pretravel and no creep. If I don't like it when I am done, I will buy one from somewhere. Everything will get a good polishing in the reciever including the ruff bolt ruger now puts in their 10/22s.

SamW

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 28, 2009
    W. Lafayette
    Ah, the good 'ol days of building 10/22's.

Triggers can be made very good, very easily. The JB weld sear trick with a VQ hammer, and mechanical pencil return spring work very well with very little $$$ investment.

I have no experience with shooter's ridge bbls though. Randy @ CPC does a very good job of correcting headspace and bolt jeweling.

The stock looks great. I had a few in Fajens with a similar design, but I had trouble getting a consistent cheek weld with anyting other than off-hand shooting.

It has probably been 5 years since my last 10/22 build though. I'm sure something has changed for the better by now.

Spot Me 2

Expert
    Rating - 97.8%
    45   1   0
    The stock looks great. I had a few in Fajens with a similar design....

Thanks. I fell inlove with how is looks and it is said to be a good performer. It should arrive next week at 96% inletting and very ruff. I know the stock will take up the majority of my time getting the action inletted and bedded correctly before I finish it. I just like the idea of starting with a ruff cut stock over a prefab finished one.

GregD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Oct 7, 2009
    Madison County
    I always enjoy watching a 10/22 build. Was it Skeeter that you got your info on the trigger? He rechambered a barrel for me and it shot great. I agree the CPC does some good bolt work but also check with the guys at Dirty Bore Customs.

Spot Me 2

Expert
    Rating - 97.8%
    45   1   0
    OK. I have the trigger job and bolt polishing finished. The trigger has no creep, a very crisp break, and pull feels right around 2 lbs. I still need to check on that. I polished everything that contacts each other. The trigger plunger is re-radiused and polished for a much smoother trigger pull also. More was done but I am sworn to secresy on that part.

101_2999.jpg

Next was to tackle the bolt. Ruger leaves a lot to be desired with their machining these days. I can see why after market parts have become so popular. The first pic is to show the bolt as it came from the factory

101_3001.jpg

and after the polish. I also radiused the bottom of the back of the bolt. This aids in cycling and help you gun to run on any ammo.

101_3004.jpg

I also polished the mating surfaces on the receiver. I cannot believe the difference in the cycling effort. The action cycles with minimum effort.

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    Wow nice job.
    Are you going to swap out the metal pin in the rear of the receiver for a urethane buffer? I think they run about 10 bucks and really quiet down the action when it hits it. Also it reduces wear and tear since it's not slamming back so hard.

Spot Me 2

Expert
    Rating - 97.8%
    45   1   0
    Has anyone used Richards microfit stocks??? I ordered the stock, which was instock, last Monday 10/26. I was told that it would go out the same day. I know it hasn't been shipped yet because I haven't been charged for it yet. They haven't returned phone calls or emails either. It shouldn't take over a week to get something that was instock shipped out. If I can get ahold of them I think I will cancel my order.

OK rant over.

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    Has anyone used Richards microfit stocks??? I ordered the stock, which was instock, last Monday 10/26. I was told that it would go out the same day. I know it hasn't been shipped yet because I haven't been charged for it yet. They haven't returned phone calls or emails either. It shouldn't take over a week to get something that was instock shipped out. If I can get ahold of them I think I will cancel my order.

OK rant over.
    Patience, man. Patience.

standeford

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I've bought from Richard's a couple of times and never ran into a problem. They've been around quite a long time and you generally hear good things.

Top Bottom