• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • illini40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2010
    Hey INGO,

What insight can you shed on budget friendly table saws?

I am a newbie that is interested in some woodworking and to also have in my tool arsenal for DIY. I have looked at the standard saws of Craftsman, Dewalt, Porter Cable, Kobalt, Masterforce, Ryobi, etc....and I'm just lost.

Budget: $400 and under
    Uses: intro woodworking and house projects
    Experience: minimal
    Sources: big box stores (HD, Lowes, Menards, Sears, etc)

I really don't know what to look for.

Or.....am I just better off with getting a straight edge saw guide and using a circular saw?

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Are you looking at the portable 10" table saws or a saw to sit in a shop and not move? I have owned both and currently own a Delta portable saw with an aluminum table. It works well for the job site and I can move it to wherever I am working.

That said, I do not cut plywood on it. I use a circular saw and depending on the precision I need, I use a straight edge. I can get a better cut that way and it's more accurate. Plus plywood is hard on blades and the blade on your circular saw costs' much less than the one on a table saw.

I use the table saw to rip smaller boards.

Even with a stationary saw, unless you build a pretty good sized table around it, it can be difficult to safely cut up large sheets of plywood.

Based on your budget and experience level, buying one of the big box ones will probably work fine for you. I'm not a fan of Masterforce, Ryobi, Kobalt, but I really can't tell you why.

Your other option is to pick up a used stationary saw if you have the room. You can find older belt driven(better) saws within your budget.

I would also budget for a chop saw. It is much better to cross cut on a chop saw than a table saw though the table saw will do it.

I could go on and on as a hobby and once professional workworker, but others will also help you out.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    My knowledge about that class of saw is rather stale now but for what it's worth, I'm a big fan of Delta and Porter Cable. I think they're both part of Black and Decker now but the stuff I've bought from them in the past is first rate.

PMR

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 28, 2013
    NWI, Cedar Lake
    I went from a Craftsman to a Ridgid TS 3650, found one used in very good shape for $250 about three years ago. It's on wheels but your not going to toss it in the car and go. It has a pretty large table top, 36 inch capacity to the right of the blade, if you move/shift the fence rails to the right you can get 48 inch capacity.

It's about one of the best contractor saws you will find in my opinion. I would stay away from saws that have two piece fence rails, I just think getting everything lined up can be a PITA.

Check the specs on what size DADO blade it can handle, you want the arbor long enough to take a full 3/4 blade stack and preferably a 8" DADO blade instead of 6".

Another option which is what I did, is to buy a cheap saw(Craftsman) for about $120.00 use it for a year or so to make sure it's a hobby that your going to be into for years to come and if it is sell the cheap one and move up to a better saw.

Good luck shopping, have fun and USE THE BLADE GUARD!!!! So ya keep all of you digits.

Pat

p.s. Check out Free Woodworking Videos, Plans, Projects, Articles, and Shop Tours | The Wood Whisperer lots of good free how to videos.

Scuba591

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    Noblesville
    You can sometimes find good old iron on craigslist. Delta from the old days is a solid saw. You may have to spend some time cleaning and tuning... but that has its benefits as well. In some circles I'm called 9 fingers; so, I can say with experience that the table saw can be your worst enemy if you let your guard down. I have an upgraded Craftsman saw. My next will be the SawStop. What I paid in medical bills would have bought me a new SawStop. Just something to think about.

Sybaris

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    I have a Bosch 10" table saw I got at Menards several years ago. With a variety of blades it has been the most used tool in my shop. Previous responses have made some good recommendations and no, don't let your guard down when using one, those things will bite.

Harleyrider_50

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    So. Indiana
    I'll sell ya 1 o' deeeeezz.......

Feb3_2007_%20007.jpg

mobile base...dustbag under...30" uni-fence......does NOT have the table x'tensions left or right.......ya got'a make them......

:popcorn:

nailknocker

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2011
    Horsepower is your friend, 3hp is as big as you can get with 110volt units I think, 11/2hp is the most common.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Some of the smaller units have the motor and drive as one piece. When the motor pukes, you have to get that exact system again. Good luck with that, IF the drive motor is still available it is pricey. A belt drive system lets you get the replacement motor from anyplace, and you can end up with a better motor

Harleyrider_50

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    So. Indiana
    Some of the smaller units have the motor and drive as one piece. When the motor pukes, you have to get that exact system again. Good luck with that, IF the drive motor is still available it is pricey. A belt drive system lets you get the replacement motor from anyplace, and you can end up with a better motor

:yesway:...At's whut this'n is.....1-1/2 H...CAN be run on 220, switch'n the leads...seldom use it anymore......I've got'a Bosch, jobsite saw.....waaaaayyyy easier ta transport, an' it'll rip 25"......take stack'd dado heads, etc......

illini40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2010
    Thanks for all of the input everyone.

To clarify - yes , I am looking for a portable unit. I doubt it will move much out of the garage, but I do want better storing and transporting options.

So with most of the big store brands referenced above, am I going to notice many differences? It sounds like for my experience and specs, I would be served well by about any of these?

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    When it came out I thought the Bosch with the gravity stand was the best designed portable table saw. That was a few years ago but if looking for portability I would pay much attention to how it will transport and the quality of the fence. There is a million different ways manufacturers try to rate their motors as marketing ploys, but I would look at the amperage rating, not the HP rating to determine its power.

Anonymous

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 13, 2009
    Noblesville
    Woodnet.net forum is a good source for reading about good contractor saws. At one point or another, Rigid, Bosch, and DeWalt were a favorite. I haven't shopped for them, so not sure what the flavor of the month is.

I'm just a DIYer, but I have a Jet with 7' rails and used it for everything until I came across a used Festool plunge saw with a 9' rail. Now I use the plunge saw to break down plywood and rip wider board and the table saw to rip narrow boards for face frames, and dados. Where applicable, I use a chop saw to cut to length, and it is the most used tool in the shop.

If I had to get rid of one, it would be the table saw. The plunge saw is just too handy, and the cut is phenomenal...but so is the price of blades.

Harleyrider_50

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    So. Indiana
    When it came out I thought the Bosch with the gravity stand was the best designed portable table saw. That was a few years ago but if looking for portability I would pay much attention to how it will transport and the quality of the fence. There is a million different ways manufacturers try to rate their motors as marketing ploys, but I would look at the amperage rating, not the HP rating to determine its power.

:yesway:.....I got this'n......15 amp saw, and it' ACCURATE run'n dude (blade wobble/play, etc....).....ain't look'd back since, an' DON't miss have'n ta break the Delta down ta go job ta job......the Bosch also got'a onboard chip/governor in the motor ......detects bog-down....and compensates.....
    bosch-4000-table-saw-review.jpg

It git's alot'a use.......

sig-guy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 2, 2013
    I've been very happy with the DeWalt DW745 $299 @ HD (3850 RPM 20" cut to the right).
    They also make a DWE7480 $369 @ HD (4800 RPM 24" cut to the right).

The 7480 wasn't available when I purchased the 745 or I would have bought the 7480 for the extra 4" width.

Light weight for moving outside. Rubber feet keeps it put. The fence is well made and very accurate. Electric cord wraps up on the left. Blade guard on the right. Push tool on the right side of the fence. Layout is nice and the tool is well made. Built in hand grips on the table for easy handling.

Both of them look like the one below:
    DW745_1_500X500.jpg

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I have some better stuff for other purposes, but a basic bought-on-sale Craftsman for a table saw. It's the skill of the operator even more than the quality of the tool; know what you're doing and you can pull awesome results out of some basic tools, like a great guitarist can blow your mind with a Kay vs some pretender giving you a headache with a strat. In other words, get something basic and practice, practice, get a feel for different woods and working with their grains. When you get good enough, you'll know it's time to get something really good. You may never feel that way. I haven't.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Ditto what others said about Craigslist, etc. I picked up a Ridgid TS 3650 at a garage sale a couple of years ago for $100, great condition, cast iron table, on wheels, etc. It didn't come with a miter gauge but so far due to laziness I haven't purchased one yet although for what I've used it for it hasn't been needed. The only downside is that it's a largish unit that takes up quite a bit of real estate.

Hoosierman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 1, 2013
    Another vote for craigslist. There are a ton of saws on there for half price or less that have been used very little. Spend the extra money on even more tools! You can easily get a good saw for $150.

illini40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2010
    I've been very happy with the DeWalt DW745 $299 @ HD (3850 RPM 20" cut to the right).
    They also make a DWE7480 $369 @ HD (4800 RPM 24" cut to the right).

The 7480 wasn't available when I purchased the 745 or I would have bought the 7480 for the extra 4" width.

Light weight for moving outside. Rubber feet keeps it put. The fence is well made and very accurate. Electric cord wraps up on the left. Blade guard on the right. Push tool on the right side of the fence. Layout is nice and the tool is well made. Built in hand grips on the table for easy handling.

Both of them look like the one below:
    DW745_1_500X500.jpg

Thanks for the information. This saw caught my eye - liked the price point of $299 and seems to carry the Dewalt brand well.

With only a 20" cut, is that a significant limitation? I'm new to this, so I'm having a tough time envisioning any limitations. Scrap side against the fence?

Top Bottom