• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bigus_D

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Country Side
    I'm new to Muzzleloaders. I just purchased a T/C Omega and intend to replace my shotgun with the Omega for deer hunting.

I've seen muzzleloaders, but have never before handled one. Now that the UPS man was nice enough to drop this long 'box' off at my door while I was away at work, I have a new 'man toy'.

I've read the Safety & Instruction Manual twice through, but am still not 100% on real life best practices. Any tips would be much appreciated! In fact, I'll be taking it out next saturday (the 12th) if anybody is interested in joining me and/or providing guidance (Indy resident headed to WW unless otherwise directed).

At this time the main question I have is as follows (hopefully somebody will see the humor in this as I do, while there is still probably some validity to the language in the manual):

From the Thompson/Center Safety & Instructional Manual for the Omega Muzzleloading Rifle
    "The instant before firing, you must prime the Omega muzzleloading rifle..."

... my question is related to the word "instantly"... I suspect this is where the lawyers got caught up with themselves, but I still want some opinions...

... So I'm sitting in my tree stand waiting for my deer. Suddenly I see my deer. Only then do I prime my gun? REALLY? Seems like I should be ready to shoot when my deer comes walking up on me.

Do you prime your gun before "instantly" before you are ready to shoot?

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    prime the gun as soon as you get in the tree. thats why they have a hammer/safty.

for evening hunts i prime before i start my walk in. for morning hunts i wait till im in the tree

Engine03

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Indy
    I hunt and have hunted a long time with the Omega series from T/C. There are telling you to prime right before shooting just like other gun companys book say not to load your firearm until you are ready to shoot. The primer on an inline muzzleloader is just like puttting a bullet in any other gun

hntrdav

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    Madison county
    The law says you can't have it primed any time before or after legal shooting time. Other than that prime it and only cock it when you see the deer.

bigus_D

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Country Side
    Thanks for the input on the specific issue of when to prime. I had planned to prime once up in my stand whilst hunting, and at the range or otherwise only when 'ready' to shoot. I'm curious about exactly the law with regards to legal hunting hours, but, regardless, didn't plan to 'walk around' with it primed.
    (the language in the manual is a little funny though... the "instant" before... really?)

I purchased 209 (nsi TYPE209/686) primers and triple se7en pre formed pellets (50GR. equivalent). For bullets I purchased some 295 Gr. powerbelt areotips, and the gun came with 250 Gr. Shock Wave Sabots. Hopefully this is the right stuff. At Gander Mountain there were several 209 primers (209/M, 209/686, 209/somethingelse, etc.)

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    i walk around with mine primed. there is no reason not to its no more dangeres than walking around with any loaded gun.

as far as shooting hours its very veg. im pretty sure the book says 1/2 hour before and after sun rise/set but sun rise/set is not a specific time.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    I'll load up at the Jeep, then prime it when I'm actually ready to hunt. Meaning after I'm set up in the blind or have pulled it up in the tree.

lancinator

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2009
    Dekalb County NE indiana
    if you look in your local newspaper it gives the time for legal sunrise/sunset. i go by this exclusively because the DNR will tell you that ignorance is not an excuse. if they catch you in a scew up, they will usually write you a ticket. so that the next time you will be sure to remember. i watch for the legal time then i prime. the gun is as safe as any other gun that's loaded. you just cock the hammer when you see a deer.

bigus_D

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Country Side
    I purchased 209 (nsi TYPE209/686) primers and triple se7en pre formed pellets (50GR. equivalent). For bullets I purchased some 295 Gr. powerbelt areotips, and the gun came with 250 Gr. Shock Wave Sabots. Hopefully this is the right stuff. At Gander Mountain there were several 209 primers (209/M, 209/686, 209/somethingelse, etc.)

... does it sound like I've got the appropriate primers/pyrodex/bullets, etc? I was confused by the different types of "209" primers and had a hard time deciding which pyrodex to purchase.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jojo99
    Top Bottom