• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • the only Qualk

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Valpo
    What are you trading for it? I own one. As well as two others I know. Mine did not like when shot left handed for some reason. The trigger pull for mine is long. Heavier pull than some higher priced guns. And the pull is gritty but that is an easy fix. Easy to field strip. And it is decently accurate.

IndianaSigma

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2011
    Huntington, IN
    I've had mine for a month or so and like it.

Positives: Low price (got mine new for $285 at the Fort Wayne gun show). / Very similar to a Glock / 14 round mags / Accurate / I've shot almost 500 rounds out of it without any problems or jamming / Excellent S&W customer service

Negatives: Heavy trigger pull (for safety reasons and can be altered) / Plastic sights

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    For a $300 gun it's pretty decent. I have a friend with one who couldn't afford more than $300 and he's perfectly happy with it.

Jubba

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2010
    WAL-MART
    I have a friend who just bought one at the 1500. He bought it due to the price, and easy trigger pull. He has arthritis bad in his trigger finger andshoots his Sigma better than anything else he owns. I'm not sure where the long hard trigger stories are coming from as it seemed easy to me.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    392   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Bad Juju on Sigma..

what dose every one think of the SW 40VE Sigma I'm thinking of trading for one and would like some feed back .
    Thanks
    Dave

My Son bought one-For the price point..$275.00=Could not ever get over the trigger=Sold it for $250.00+bought a Beretta 92FS===LOVES THE 92.
    A good friend bought one NEW for $299.00=Six months later the trigger pin fell out-jammed up the gun-WITH a loaded round in the chamber=Took a hammer to the gun to cycle slide to remove loaded round...Sent back to S&W for repair-3 weeks turn around from Smith..shoots fine now (IF you can call their trigger FINE??), but for how long???
    I own 6-8 different Mfg. of hand guns--NO S&W Sigma...THIS will not change for me...Bill.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    What are you trading for it?

Have you fired one before?

For the price it is a pretty good gun. All of the experience I have with the Sigma pistols is positive as far as reliability goes. The trigger is not great, but I know several people that don't mind it. If you have shot one and liked it then I say go for it (depending on what you will be giving up in the trade).

greyhound47

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    I owned one. They are OK for a Glock copy cat gun but extremely rough and unrefined compared to the Glock. The trigger is like dragging an anchor over a field of boulders. The "rail" fits no lights I know of (I know someone must fit it but I do not know which). For another $150 bucks you can get a little used Glock 19. Save your money, IMO. BTW< I am a big S&W fan but NOT of this gun.

kboom524

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    New Haven
    I have no problems with mine. Very accurate, feeds anything I put in it. Bought mine because I wanted a 40 S&W to play with and the price was good. Very happy with it.

LFD102

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Oct 25, 2011
    Brownsburg
    Think I'm going to pass on the Sigma have seen several reviews with the same trigger problem Back to saving my money and get something with a better track record
    Thanks for all the info and I'm glad some have had great luck its like me and my Lorcin its junk but have had no issues with it. it was my first hand gun had to start some ware

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    I was issued two, first generation models. Had what I call catastrophic failures with each.

The first was after four days at the range. It wasn't shot that much at all, maybe 200ish rounds a day, if that. On day #4 just as we were ending the day, I noticed that on slide reset, the slide seemed off. I didn't really pay attention, being new to guns, because it was firing and I was able to reset it by hand in the proper place (I know better now). Gave it to a co-worker after we were doing firing and he dry fired it while pointing it at the ground. The slide just fell off, onto the ground. Range instructor took it with him and had to use a dental pick to clean it. What had happened was that enough dirt or whatever had gathered under the barrel and above the slide lock piece. As it gathered even more, the stuff pushed down on the piece causing the slide not to be held in place.

Second failure was with my replacement. Front sight was crocked, causing some issues with my sight picture. Pointed this out to the range instructor who tried to fix it by turning it. It broke off.

After that second failure, I got an HK-USP Compact and may have had one failure over many years of carrying that gun.

I heard the recent models of Sigmas aren't too bad. Many report reliable functionality, but 90% report a hatred for the trigger. The trigger never bothered me, maybe because it was really the first handgun I actually shot tons of ammo through. I guess if you are trained on the worse, everything else is easy to get used to.

Other failures with the first gens I saw: Another front sight issue, two strikers break.

Avoid the first generation Sigmas.

tmccorkel

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 21, 2009
    Chesterton
    Sigmas do have crap triggers in stock form, but there are very simple and free remedies. I have the .40 and it's a great shooter- reliable and accurate. I've read bad reviews on them too, but supposedly the problems were only present on early models.

I've been helping with a trigger thread on a Sigma 9mm- same stuff applies to the .40.
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/handguns/177488-s_and_w_9ve.html

TheAxehand

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2012
    I've had my sigma .40 for about a year now. Put about 500 rounds through it with no problems. I lightened my trigger up a bit with a 10 min mod. It's not the most accurate but for the price you can't beat it:D

natetheace

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    Decatur, IN
    I've had one in 9mm for 3 years. I like it. It goes bang every time I pull the trigger. Very reliable for the money. The trigger isn't great, but it is manageable. I like carrying cheap and reliable guns because if I ever have to use one, I won't mind it getting ruined in the investigation. Thats why I don't carry my 1911.

SaintsNSinners

Shooter
    Rating - 94.1%
    16   1   0
    Mar 3, 2012
    At Work in Indy
    I have handled a sigma and fired one as well they are not to bad. They look and feel cheap but they arent bad guns. If i were to buy one i would probablu just throw it in a box as part of a emergency kit. I wouldnt have one as an EDC.

Toolepqk

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 96.3%
    52   2   0
    Jul 25, 2011
    You can find a kahr cw40 for not much more. The trigger pull is long but in my case it isn't heavy and it is very smooth.

headleyj

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Bloomington
    Ive had mine for about 2 years and its ok, but thats about it imo. I dont lile the grip, i think its too thick and wide, i put a grooved hogue on it and that helped a bit., but obviously made it even bigger. Dont lime the trigger as some have said. Its a good keep in your console unit but thats about it for me.

Loganwildman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 29, 2012
    Logansport
    RE

I just bought one Saturday and after removing the pigtail spring and polishing out the tool marks on the sear, I am really liking the gun. Out of the box it was dead on accurate with the LRN reloads I bought at the gun show.

Top Bottom