• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SKINNER82

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2009
    Anyone ever considered building one?

It's likely that in a true bug-out situation the majority of us would have to flee in our vehicle (unless you live close to woods/mountains/etc.). So, for those of us with capable off-road vehicles (FJ60 LandCruiser for me); have you considered building a "Bug-out trailer"? Something along the lines of this:
    attachment.php

For the entire build see here :My scratch built expedition style trailer build up thread

With a rig like this, you could leave it packed & be ready to go in no times notice. Have all your gear, mobile shelter, etc., all in one place.

My wife and I have a pop-up now, I just don't think it would be capable of "deep concealment" if needed. I may need to add a trailer like this to my projects list.

Thoughts?

2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    While that looks like a good trailer I think that in practical terms it isn't very at all .

Unless , you have some warning a few days ahead of a SHTF scenario and have the time to actually use it to get to your preplanned destination .

Maybe I'm just cynical but I don't think the roads in the larger cities will be any good because they'll be clogged with abandoned vehicles left for whatever reason by folks who tried to bug out .

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    I think that's a great idea.

I have a jeep instead of a pickup and something like this would be perfect for camping/fishing/hunting/bug-out situations.

edit: I just spent the last 30 minutes looking at your build, that thing is amazing!

I really wanna build one now

Last edited:

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    I think it's a great idea because it can remain mostly packed up and ready to roll. So if the s does htf all u have to do is throw your day to day stuff in,hook it up and roll out. And on top of it being a huge time saver it's basically a rolling closet so it saves u some room in the pantry. I think I might try to build one. Nice post

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    I have a 1 1/2 Army trailer that is loaded with out mountain gear. We have the generator, fuel, water, both wall tents, camp gear, etc. Fuel the diesel, hook up, and were going for elk. They are a great bargain, but heavy for those with samller vehicles. I learned quite a bit from that site link, thanks.

clt46910

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Akron Indiana
    A hunting/fishing partner and I build one out of a stepside bed. Put a lid on it, same tires as the jeep. Two extra tires and two ten gallon gas cans around the outside. All our gear packed inside. We only had to hook it up, throw in the beer and fresh foods. Then off we would go. We cleaned and repacked if after each trip so it was always ready to go. Was really handy and we used it a lot.

Dr Falken

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    I looked at your build. Very Nice! I have a basic utility trailer that I bought at Lowes. It has the 12" tires that those trailers come with and I have thought at least of modifying the axle to run 5x5.5, 15" wheels like my jeep and move the tail lights and add holders for gas cans...I think trailers are pretty slick.

SKINNER82

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2009
    While that looks like a good trailer I think that in practical terms it isn't very at all .

Unless , you have some warning a few days ahead of a SHTF scenario and have the time to actually use it to get to your preplanned destination .

Maybe I'm just cynical but I don't think the roads in the larger cities will be any good because they'll be clogged with abandoned vehicles left for whatever reason by folks who tried to bug out .

Really? I think if you take a harder look at the thread with the trailer you will change your mind. This trailer (and those like it) are set up for the nastiest offroad situation possible. I've seen them towed through the Rubicon & some of the nastier trails in Moab.

They are typically set up with a pintle hitch to allow for maximum articulation while hooked to the towing vehicle. There would be no need for a city road with this trailer. Of course, you'd have to have a capable off-road tow rig.

shftn6

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2010
    NW Monroe Co.
    I'd consider a camo paint job. That blue looks like a UN trailer to me. The zombies will be attracted to it looking for their free handouts!

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Got me to thinking on how I can make some quick add on modes to my 6x12 trailer.

Don't need anything that aggressive around here, and I got 16 tires with 18 inch clearance underneath, so I think I'm good to go on that. I got a 2000 pound rated axle under it and I know it can handle some weight because I've had my medium duty zero turn mower and my buddies heavy duty zero turn mower on it and they weigh out at 1650 and it carried the load just fine over a very rough road and terrain last summer.

I already have 3 foot panels to go around the sides to use as a dump truck style for hauling mulch so I'm thinking of having a thick rubber mat made to add to the floor, to prevent water/moisture from coming in.

Also thinking of having a huge tarp sewed up so that I can use fiberglass poles and arch the tarp to make a quick setup tent right on the trailer. I can use the front 5.5x6 feet for all items to be brought along and use 1 foot along one of the back side to store items also, this gives me a nice 6.5x5 foot area for me and the wife to sleep, sit and stay at. May make the storage compartments modular, so I can easily load and go.

Also got spots to mount on the exterior for gas cans and water tanks and can store my genny and a 50 gallon drum stove kit on it for heat/cooking.

If I implement this I'll start a thread and take pics as I go. Whoo Hoo, just may have me a project boys!

I just make do this sometime soon and use it one weekend

Top Bottom