• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Yojoe1964

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 9, 2014
    Lafayette
    Has anyone gotten the surplus M-16 magazines and just repainted them? I am not sure if it would cause an issue with the gun if I just paint them. I do not want to get paint flakes inside the receiver. I have seen where they have used dry film lube but I can't find it at the local hardware store.

Thanks for for any advice in advance!

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    Eh , as long as they function I don't care what they look like.
    If I was going to refinish them, I think i would us dura-coat or something similar.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    If you want new looking GI mags Palmetto State Armory has them on sale often for $7 each. By the time you buy a surplus mag, buy paint and spend the time you'd be better off just buying a new mag from PSA.

N_K_1984

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    If you're overly concerned, and it's fine if you are, insert an empty mag into a clear/safe gun, trace lightly with pencil around the bottom of the magwell on your magazine. Pull the mag out, tape off the area along and above the line you just traced. Paint with desired color! I have painted many of my mags using this method. I have yet to have any negative results. Good luck, OP!

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Wow, I can remember buying those that the OGCA show for a quarter and bringing them back to Stout Field and selling them for a dollar.:)

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    HView attachment 32152

Here is one of the magazines.

This looks exactly like most of my mags. Its a tool. Just use it. If you want pretty for a wall hanger, buy a new one for display.

As others have said, these are just now getting broken in. Strip them down, clean them, and use them as they are. Dont worry about how pretty they are(nt).

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Everything I have is old, like me. I don't have any that look that good. But they all feed every time into a rifle that goes bang every trigger pull.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom