• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kurr

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2011
    Jefferson County

The U.S. Supreme Court ruled on Monday that immigrants detained in the United States are not entitled to a bond hearing, a decision that means that the thousands of people with open immigration cases who are currently in federal holding facilities can continue to be detained indefinitely.

The high court also ruled that federal courts lack the authority to grant class-wide relief to detainees. In other words, if any detainees want to argue in the future that they have a right to a bond hearing, they will need to bring their cases individually, despite the fact that immigrants are not entitled to counsel during immigration proceedings.

The Court’s ruling maintains the status quo. For-profit corporations, like Geo Group and others, currently detain thousands of immigrants in prison-like centers. Such immigrants are not charged with a crime, nor do they have a right to a hearing justifying their detention. The Court also maintains the U.S. government’s broad discretion over immigrant detention, ruling that immigrants can only have a bond hearing if the government says so.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    You know the game you're playing when you come here illegally. Want to stay out of immigration detention? Stay home. :dunno:

Although personally I don't think anyone should be in immigration detention for any length of time. They should be removed from the US within a few days of arrest to await their court date either in their home country or whatever safe country they entered from, i.e. Mexico. I do not agree with indefinite detention in the US until some faraway immigration court date. It is ruinously expensive, violates human rights, and is not necessary in the way that bail denial for some criminals is necessary for public safety. I am not interested in operating vast internal camps where illegals reside for potentially years at a time waiting to have largely phony asylum claims adjudicated. They should never get to that point.

The ruling is correct, I'm criticizing the policy.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I don't like the idea of anybody, citizen or otherwise, being held indefinitely without being either charged with a crime, then facing trial in a court of law, at which point prison or freedom.

However, this seems to be regarding only "bond" hearings. I presume(?) that this does not impact their right to a habeas corpus challenge or other lawful methods of gaining freedom.

I DO agree that if they are not here legally then send them home.

I believe even more strongly in fining the hell out of EVERY company that hires illegals. Put a few restaurants, hotels, landscapers, and building contractors out of business and soon we won't have an "illegal" immigration problem.

Regards,

Doug

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    As long as they have the ability to say "uncle" (or Tio, or 叔叔, or تره, or العم :): ) at any point and be sent back home, I'm cool with this. Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

Or even better. Limit the detention to X weeks, and if we are not able to process them in time, send them back. Anywhere but here.

And I'd love to see the folks that broke the law and crossed illegally scanned biometrically and added to an immigration"no fly"* list . Make it easier for those that want to come legally. And damn near impossible for those that ignored the law and tried to sneak in. Prioritize those that follow the law.

*or at least bar them from receiving any "welfare" support from the govt.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    As if the ruling matters. Sure, they could be detained indefinitely, they could also be hosed down with hydrochloric acid and left to die in the sun. There is an equal likelihood that either will happen under the current piece of shot administration.

What is more likely to happen is that somewhere north of a million illegal immigrants will be allowed into the country, billions will be spent to take care of them and ****o will be done to slow it down by the evil ****s in DC.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom