• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Some say the 1st Amendment was upheld in this ruling. What do you guys think?

Supreme Court Removes Limits on Corporate, Labor Donations to Campaigns

In a stunning reversal of the nation's federal campaign finance laws, the Supreme Court ruled 5-4 Thursday that free-speech rights permit groups like corporations and labor unions to directly spend on political campaigns, prompting the White House to pledge "forceful" action to undercut the decision.

In a written statement, President Obama said the high court had "given a green light to a new stampede of special interest money in our politics." He called it a "major victory" for Wall Street, health insurance companies and other interests which would diminish the influence of Americans who give small donations. Obama pledged to "work immediately" with Congress to develop a "forceful response."

"The public interest requires nothing less," Obama said.

Siding with filmmakers of "Hillary: The Movie," who were challenged by the Federal Election Commission on their sources of cash to pay for the film, the court overturned a 20-year-old ruling that banned corporate and labor money. The decision threatens similar limits imposed by 24 states.

The justices also struck down part of the landmark McCain-Feingold campaign finance bill that barred union- and corporate-paid issue ads in the closing days of election campaigns.

Justice Anthony Kennedy wrote the main opinion, which reads in part that there is "no basis for allowing the government to limit corporate independent expenditures."

"There is no basis for the proposition that, in the political speech context, the government may impose restrictions on certain disfavored speakers," he wrote. "The government may regulate corporate speech through disclaimer and disclosure requirements, but it may not suppress that speech altogether."

Dissenters included Justices John Paul Stevens, Ruth Bader Ginsburg, Stephen Breyer and Sonia Sotomayor.

"The notion that the First Amendment dictated [today's ruling] is, in my judgment, profoundly misguided," Stevens wrote for the others.

"In the context of election to public office, the distinction between corporate and human speakers is significant. Although they make enormous contributions to our society, corporations are not actually members of it," he added.

The ruling is sure to send a jolt to political campaigns throughout the country that are gearing up for the 2010 midterm elections. It will also impact the 2012 presidential race and federal elections to come.

Arizona Republican Sen. John McCain, whose name bears the law that was upended Thursday, said he hadn't read the decision but thought that it was headed that way when he listened to arguments presented last fall. McCain said he does not think it completely repudiates the law he wrote with Wisconsin Democratic Sen. Russ Feingold.

Feingold issued a statement that notes the decision does not overturn the ban on soft money donations to political parties, which can then distribute cash to candidates.

"But this decision was a terrible mistake," he said. "This court has just upended that prohibition, and a century's worth of campaign finance law designed to stem corruption in government. The American people will pay dearly for this decision when, more than ever, their voices are drowned out by corporate spending in our federal elections."

The case involves the film by conservative group Citizens United, which criticized then-presidential candidate Hillary Rodham Clinton during the 2008 Democratic presidential primary campaign.

Citizens United planned to air ads promoting its distribution through cable television video-on-demand services. The FEC said the film amounted to a campaign ad and that Citizens United, an incorporated entity that takes corporate money, could only use limited, disclosed contributions from individuals to promote and broadcast it.

The U.S. Chamber of Commerce, AFL-CIO, National Rifle Association and other groups sided with Citizens United in calling a loosening of restrictions.

"This is a victory for Citizens United, but even more so for the First Amendment rights of all Americans," said Citizens United President David Bossie. "The fault line on this issue does not split liberals and conservatives or Republicans and Democrats. Instead, it pits entrenched establishment politicians against the very people whom they are elected to serve."

In concluding his opinion, Kennedy drew a parallel with concern raised over a movie that many consider a classic, "Mr. Smith Goes to Washington." Kennedy wrote that some government officials tried to discourage the film's distribution. He said people will naturally disagree with the content and meaning of Hillary: The Movie, but "those choices and assessments, however, are not for the government to make."

But watchdog groups like Common Cause and Public Citizen called the ruling a blow to democracy. Public Citizen said it is "going to do everything we can to mitigate the damage from today's decision, and to overturn this misguided ruling."

Feingold said he too is working on new legislation to restore restraints on corporate participation.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    It's too bad they didn't go farther and throw out McCain-Feingold in its entirety. This is one case where they got it right, they just didn't go far enough.

TRWXXA

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2008
    I'm not even going to read the decision.

If Chuck "She's A B!tch" Schumer hates it... It's gotta be good thing!!!

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    I'm going to be the dissenter here. Even speaking as the owner of a small incorporated business, president of a not for profit corporation, and officeholder in a nationwide 501C3 corporation, I think granting corporations the same rights as people has been one of the worst things that has ever been done for individual liberty.

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    This decision seems to be solid to me. Now I _do_ think that they need to uphold the right to work as well. I shouldn't have to contribute to stuff I don't believe in, in order to be able to work. But if any person, corporation or group wants to contribute to a cause, they should be able.

Hmmm... how so, shibumiseeker? Just saw your post, and I'm curious.

Last edited:

Designer99

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Have you all gone mad??? Do you realize what this decision means?

It means corporations can buy which ever political candidate they want!!!

Do you know who owns corporations? Lots of other countries! For example, CITGO Petroleum Company is owned by Venezuela and Hugo Chavez. And it's not just Chavez. The Saudi government owns Houston's Saudi Refining Company and half of Motiva Enterprises. Lenovo, which bought IBM's PC assets in 2004, is partially owned by the Chinese government's Chinese Academy of Sciences. And Singapore's APL Limited operates several U.S. port operations. A weakening of the limit on corporate giving could mean China, Saudi Arabia, Singapore, and any other country that owns companies that operate in the U.S. could also have significant sway in American electioneering.

Let me give you a scenario: Corporation X has 6 shareholders. Three are American, one is Russian, one is Saudi Arabian, and one is Chinese. Corporation X wants to pay less taxes to the United States and cut benefits to it's workers. Corporation X also wants to cut all American jobs and send them to China so their profit margins go up. NOW, not only do Americans get a say in our elections, but so do Russians, Saudi Arabians, and Chinese. Sound good to you?

I know you probably didn't gather all of this from the article, since FOX News put it's spin on it. Democracy is dying.

Designer99

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Seriously people. Just because "your team" doesn't like it, doesn't mean you shouldn't read it. You've got to stop looking at issues through a "conservative vs liberal" view. That's how they mislead you.

I'm not even going to read the decision.

If Chuck "She's A B!tch" Schumer hates it... It's gotta be good thing!!!

DustinG

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2008
    The decision was right, except it didn't go far enough, any government regulations are a bad thing...the less government regulations the better.

Designer99

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Yes, we definitely want multinational corporations involved in our political process! We should have let the Chinese vote with us a long time ago.

Please get another take on this than the FOX News spin.

The decision was right, except it didn't go far enough, any government regulations are a bad thing...the less government regulations the better.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Yes, we definitely want multinational corporations involved in our political process! We should have let the Chinese vote with us a long time ago.

Ok, show me where non American citizen Chinese, Russian, etc people are going to be able to go to the voting booth and vote?

I think there shouldn't be any limits to campaign contributions. Only make them transparent. That way, we as voters can see who is being bought out.

How is corporations making donations to buy votes any different than politicians handing out tax dollars to their constituents to buy their votes?

Designer99

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2010
    Indianapolis
    It's pretty simple really. A corporation is owned by foreign interests. This corporation spends $50 million in lobbying, advertising and buying off elected officials. The vote goes their way. Once elected, their bought off Congressman passes laws in their favor. Bye bye democracy.

I agree it should be transparent. But when theirs no limit, money rules the vote. Who has more money? The foreign owned multi-national corporation or the average American citizen.

Also, corporations should not have the same rights to free speech as individuals. Corporations don't bleed, don't get sent off to war, don't die, don't get married, and only care about one thing... profits. If making profits means their going to send your job to China, then thats what their going to do.

Ok, show me where non American citizen Chinese, Russian, etc people are going to be able to go to the voting booth and vote?

I think there shouldn't be any limits to campaign contributions. Only make them transparent. That way, we as voters can see who is being bought out.

How is corporations making donations to buy votes any different than politicians handing out tax dollars to their constituents to buy their votes?

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    It's pretty simple really. A corporation is owned by foreign interests. This corporation spends $50 million in lobbying, advertising and buying off elected officials. The vote goes their way. Once elected, their bought off Congressman passes laws in their favor. Bye bye democracy.

I agree it should be transparent. But when theirs no limit, money rules the vote. Who has more money? The foreign owned multi-national corporation or the average American citizen.

Also, corporations should not have the same rights to free speech as individuals. Corporations don't bleed, don't get sent off to war, don't die, don't get married, and only care about one thing... profits. If making profits means their going to send your job to China, then thats what their going to do.

And how is that any different than what is going on now? Did Bayh vote how his constituency wanted on the health care bill?

Class warfare much there?

Designer99

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2010
    Indianapolis
    The difference is UNLIMITED spending by corporations who now have the same rights as you and I!! You don't see a problem with that?

No Bayh did not. We need to vote these people out of office and replace them with people who vote for their constituents! Thanks to this new ruling, that will be even harder!!!

Why are you trying to argue with me when we both want the same thing - elected officials who vote on the side of the people!

Do you just get off on arguing? This is exactly what the system wants, Americans bickering amongst themselves and doing nothing about it.

Congrats. You've played right into their hands.

And how is that any different than what is going on now? Did Bayh vote how his constituency wanted on the health care bill?

Class warfare much there?

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    What provision in the Constitution granted the government the power to regulate who could give money to whom in order to advance a political agenda?

henktermaat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009

All of your 22 posts when views as a body of work have the smell of a liberal troll.

Half of them are regurgitated versions of "let's not label liberal or conservative" and such platitudes.

The other half support a constitutional abomination of government making laws against free speech.

Sprinkle that with trollish comments designed to bait members of this forum, and we have ourselves a clear picture.

Designer99

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Thanks for that. You've pegged me completely. I have so much time on my hands that I look for websites to bait people.

It's not the free speech part that is the issue. It's who's getting the free speech! This ruling lets mulit-national corporations get to donate as much as they want to our political process. That means corporations owned by China, Saudi Arabia, Japan, Venezuela etc. get to donate and help fund the candidate of their choice.

Are you ok with that? Does that bother you? I for one think it's a bad thing.

Don't take my word for it. Read: Campaign Money From Foreign Firms May Be Coming - The Two-Way - Breaking News, Analysis Blog : NPR

All of your 22 posts when views as a body of work have the smell of a liberal troll.

Half of them are regurgitated versions of "let's not label liberal or conservative" and such platitudes.

The other half support a constitutional abomination of government making laws against free speech.

Sprinkle that with trollish comments designed to bait members of this forum, and we have ourselves a clear picture.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    Thanks for that. You've pegged me completely. I have so much time on my hands that I look for websites to bait people.

It's not the free speech part that is the issue. It's who's getting the free speech! This ruling lets mulit-national corporations get to donate as much as they want to our political process. That means corporations owned by China, Saudi Arabia, Japan, Venezuela etc. get to donate and help fund the candidate of their choice.

Are you ok with that? Does that bother you? I for one think it's a bad thing.

Don't take my word for it. Read: Campaign Money From Foreign Firms May Be Coming - The Two-Way - Breaking News, Analysis Blog : NPR

I ask again:

What provision in the Constitution granted the government the power to regulate who could give money to whom in order to advance a political agenda?

Top Bottom