• ...and so much more!
  • avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    MAJB Retired said:
    Hopefully this will become law. However, what we really need is an overhaul of the Federal law that currently requires a Class III license and $200 tax for each suppressor!:yesway:

I'd settle for getting "approved" after your first NFA item, so with subsequent items can simply pay the tax at point-of-sale and take your toys home without bogging the system down again with pointless checks of purchasers who have already been checked one (or more) times.

chuckp

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2009
    Central IN
    Today, NRA-backed Senate Bill 243 passed in the Senate Judiciary Committee by a 7 to 1 vote!

Hopefully this will become law. However, what we really need is an overhaul of the Federal law that currently requires a Class III license and $200 tax for each suppressor!:yesway:

For what its worth all non dealer individuals do not have a Class III license and can have suppressors. I have Form 1's and Form 4's for my Title II NFA suppressors. I think it is a bit confusing to people out there when people mention that they need a Class III license to own them. A Class III is a license to deal in NFA firearms.

I would love to see hunting with suppressors.

Maybe we can get this forum renamed the Title II/NFA forum so it would educate people instead of confuse them.

Chuck

Last edited:

GMack_1

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2009
    Montgomery Co.
    Assuming the law passes, and I wanted to put one of these devices on the end of my AR for coyote's..., what would I apply for? Class II or Class III? And what about handguns? Do they apply to today's vote?

Jeez, thought I had this all figured out and now I'm totally confused. Maybe about current law..., and what is being voted on now?

If anyone could shine some light on this it would be greatly appreciated.

samot

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2009
    Your mamas house
    For what its worth all non dealer individuals do not have a Class III license and have a few suppressors. I have Form 1's and Form 4's for my Title II NFA suppressors. I think it is a bit confusing to people out there when people mention that they need a Class III license to own them. A Class III is a license to deal in NFA firearms.

I would love to see hunting with suppressors.

Maybe we can get this forum renamed the Title II/NFA forum so it would educate people instead of confuse them.

Chuck

I agree ....
    However what dealers license is called C3 ??????
    I know of different variations of SOTs but nothing dubbed " class 3 " ??
    Care to Edjumacate me ?

chuckp

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2009
    Central IN
    I agree ....
    However what dealers license is called C3 ??????
    I know of different variations of SOTs but nothing dubbed " class 3 " ??
    Care to Edjumacate me ?

Hope this helps.
    From National Firearms Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Registration, purchases, taxes and transfers

It is a common misconception[12] that an individual must have a "Class 3 License" in order to own NFA firearms. An FFL is required as a prerequisite to become a Special Occupation Taxpayer (SOT): Class 1 importer, Class 2 manufacturer-dealer or Class 3 dealer in NFA firearms, not an individual owner. Legal possession of an NFA firearm by an individual requires transfer of registration within the NFA registry. An individual owner does not need to be an NFA dealer to buy Title II firearms. The sale and purchase of NFA firearms is, however, taxed and regulated, as follows:

Chuck

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Assuming the law passes, and I wanted to put one of these devices on the end of my AR for coyote's..., what would I apply for? Class II or Class III? And what about handguns? Do they apply to today's vote?

Jeez, thought I had this all figured out and now I'm totally confused. Maybe about current law..., and what is being voted on now?

If anyone could shine some light on this it would be greatly appreciated.

If you want a suppressor you would find a dealer that sells them and they would help you fill out the paperwork. It's about the same info that's on a normal gun purchase form (4473) but you also need to get fingerprints and photos done. It's a one-time $200 tax per item. There is no license to apply for. Read the sticky at the topic this section. It will help you as well.

ssgjason

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    Southern IN
    You wouldn't be able to legally carry any handgun that isn't "deer legal" while deer hunting, even if this passes.

What about for personal protection?

Per
    http://www.in.gov/dnr/fishwild/files/fw-deerhuntguide.pdf

Carrying firearms: An individual must not
    possess a handgun while hunting deer or
    while accompanying the youth hunter
    during the youth season unless the individual
    possesses a valid unlimited license to carry
    a handgun issued under IC 35-47-2; or is
    not required to possess a license to carry a
    handgun under IC 35-47-2-2.
    It is not legal
    to take a deer with a handgun except during
    the firearm and muzzleloader seasons and in
    compliance with DNR regulations.

combat45acp

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    DeMotte
    if you have a LTCH in Indiana you can carry while hunting, even bow hunting and non-deer calibers...I hunt in Gary (rated the murder capital of nation from time to time) a lot, and ALWAYS carry my Glock 21 when I do.

MikeA

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2011
    Per
    http://www.in.gov/dnr/fishwild/files/fw-deerhuntguide.pdf

Carrying firearms: An individual must not
    possess a handgun while hunting deer or
    while accompanying the youth hunter
    during the youth season unless the individual
    possesses a valid unlimited license to carry
    a handgun issued under IC 35-47-2; or is
    not required to possess a license to carry a
    handgun under IC 35-47-2-2.
    It is not legal
    to take a deer with a handgun except during
    the firearm and muzzleloader seasons and in
    compliance with DNR regulations.

I believe this is the first year that that took effect.

Top Bottom