• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DCM8513

Marksman
    Rating - 93.3%
    14   1   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Im in the process of saving up for a suppressor for my .308. Dont have the money for the stamp and suppressor all at once but im wondering if i can purchase the stamp before i purchase the suppressor. It would be nice to the stamp ready to go when it comes time to make the purchase so i dont have to wait forever to get the stamp. Is this possible? Also, if for whatever reason your aplication doesnt go through for the stamp, do you get your 200 dollars back?

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    Nope, the Stamp (Form 4) needs the serial for the suppressor. Its specific to THAT suppressor, not just permission to buy one.

Here's a good thread about the process and how it works
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/class_iii_nfa/26144-nfa_from_a_beginners_perspective.html

And I'm pretty sure if you get denied for whatever reason, the price is refunded. However, you have to pay for the suppressor before you apply for the stamp and some dealers might have a restocking fee. Usually if you can get your LTCH you can probably get a suppressor.

mjrducky

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Jun 16, 2009
    North Liberty, IN
    Im in the process of saving up for a suppressor for my .308. Dont have the money for the stamp and suppressor all at once but im wondering if i can purchase the stamp before i purchase the suppressor. It would be nice to the stamp ready to go when it comes time to make the purchase so i dont have to wait forever to get the stamp. Is this possible? Also, if for whatever reason your aplication doesnt go through for the stamp, do you get your 200 dollars back?

You have to purchase the suppressor first as you will need the serial number to apply for the stamp.

Yes if your application doesn't go through you can request your 200.00 back - It will take a long time but you can get it back.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    You have to purchase the suppressor first as you will need the serial number to apply for the stamp.

To clarify for the OP, you can't apply for a transfer stamp until you actually own the suppressor. So, you buy it but just can't take possession of it until the paperwork is completed and you receive your stamp. It's not enough to just have the serial number.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    To clarify for the OP, you can't apply for a transfer stamp until you actually own the suppressor. So, you buy it but just can't take possession of it until the paperwork is completed and you receive your stamp. It's not enough to just have the serial number.

Well, technically according to the law, that's not true. A dealer could do the deal AFTER the paperwork came back.

However, no dealer in their right mind would do that, and in real life practice, you DO have to buy the can before you submit the Form 4.

Just wanted to clarify that the "you can't" isn't law, but just common business practice.

There ARE deals where people transferring a high-dollar MG will do half down and remainder upon delivery, so the transferee technically does not own the NFA firearm. These transactions are perfectly legal, and quite rare.

Mechy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    You may already know this, but the paperwork takes about 7-8 months. I submitted mine in June 2011 and the stamp just came through. Just a heads up.

Top Bottom