Suppressor... Silencer.... Whats the Dif?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MTC

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    The federal government says its a silencer.

Functionally it's a suppressor.
    This one, regardless of how any government agency might classify it. Similar to, but not quite as inaccurate as calling a magazine a "clip". Once again, if you are among friends - specifically knowledgeable gun owners - you can call it a silencer and they will know what you mean within the context of the topic.

When in mixed company or otherwise, I always refer to them as suppressors, not to be politically correct, but to be accurate and most importantly to help eliminate the impression given by Hollywood movies and the media of "OMG! Silencers! :runaway: Only bad guys and assassins use silencers! Those things should be banned!

Similarly, ATF classifies everything that fires more than one round with each pull of the trigger as a "machine gun" even though the term used to mean -and should still mean - a fully automatic belt-fed weapon (may in some cases come equipped with a selector switch for semi), as differentiated from a magazine-fed select-fire rifle or carbine.

The main point of this is to not only get used to accurate terminology, but to move your audience from an influence of "those oughta be banned" to "I want one, too, and these bureaucratic and statutory infringements on my birthright are bull****."

:) :patriot: :ar15:

Last edited:

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    153   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    Just taking technicalities, but according to Webster

Main Entry: machine gun
    Function: noun
    Date: 1867
    : a gun for sustained rapid fire that uses bullets; broadly : an automatic weapon
    — machine–gun verb
    — machine gun·ner noun

Doesn't sounds like belt fed, or even rifle caliber (rifle or sub uses "bullets") weapon, is neccesary to be considered a machine gun by definition.

MTC

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Just taking technicalities, but according to Webster ...

And that's all well and good. If I had a chance to sit down and talk with the folks at Webster, I would definitely see about persuading them to clarify or differentiate the definitions for greater precision and accuracy, within that particular context.

ETA: In the weapons reference books on hand, belt-feds were covered (classified) in their own chapter titled Machine Guns, as were select-fire rifles in a separate category, as were submachine guns (pistol caliber being the main point of difference), as were suppressors (or silencers) and their history and development.

The main point of my post was not to tell people what to do or say, rather a suggestion (and reason why) to consider how to approach this topic with others, toward a particular goal. (or at least spark some interest and keep them away from being influenced in the opposite direction)

HTH

Last edited:

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    So, since its so much clearer for me now, would a flash hider be a suppressor since it suppresses visible flash?
    and what about a muzzle break? Doesnt it suppress barrel climb?

Go ahead... I'll wait!

Those are called "clips", or sometimes "barrel shrouds".

MTC

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    So, since its so much clearer for me now, would a flash hider be a suppressor since it suppresses visible flash?
    Interestingly enough, it is often abbreviated FS in posts and articles by certified armorers and/or many who seem very familiar with nomenclature. In informal conversations with some I've known who were dealers, armorers or otherwise much more knowledgeable, they didn't get bent out of shape when I used the term "flash hider" as, if nothing else, a slang term commonly used 'round here. :): (This was usually skipped over as no big deal 'cause we wanted to move along to a related, yet different topic, such as the noise reduction device that will attach to it, and whether or not it will require a proprietary mount.)

... and what about a muzzle break? Doesnt it suppress barrel climb?

Go ahead... I'll wait!
    Muzzle brake

Appreciate your patience and wanted to pass along a few links and comments on the outside chance they may be somehow useful.

Getting back to the OT, the Germans, for example, use the word Schalldämpfer. Among the entries found are muffler, silencer, and noise absorber (noise dampening device).

Examples of Schalldämpfer

A manufacturer or dealer might choose to market it as a 'silencer' and among shooting buddies it wouldn't matter so much how it was referred to. The key point, however, is to change the image, the way these sound suppressors are viewed or perceived by the public at large. Not as some sinister devices used by villains and therefore in need of legal restriction, but as firearm mufflers to be made available over the counter to the conscientious citizen who wishes not to disturb the neighbors, but rather to help ensure domestic tranquility.

Provided they could be normalized and the negative stigma removed, that is, given no more concern than the muffler on your car or truck (and why would anyone go without one anyway?), we might at least have an opportunity at some point in the future to get them removed from the Title II list. This was one possible goal previously alluded to by one of our esteemed attorneys, though it would almost certainly have to be done through the legislative process.

RobbLG

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2010
    I'll add a 3rd term... Moderator... You'll mostly see and hear this one from the European Crowd... I think it's the most descriptive...

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    153   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    facility_shootguard.jpg

Silencer. :P

SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Be glad they called it a silencer in the NFA. If they had called it a suppressor then flash suppressors and muzzle breaks would require a $200 fine.

Somemedic

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    So...

"Suppressor" is is the preferred term by gun enthusiasts for a device that muffles the report on a weapon when it is fired. Usually it threads onto the end of a barrel and is legal to own. THIS is not to be confused with a "Flash Suppressor" or "FS" though it does infact suppress muzzle flash along with noise.

"Silencer" is the preferred term by lay men and lawmakers for "suppressors". Hollywood digs this term, too. Its a catch all phrase for a device that quiets the firing of a gun and can be a device that threads onto a muzzle or a hacked up soda bottle. Traditionally used for illicit purposes.

"Flash Suppressors" are devices that thread or clamp onto a muzzle to reduce the amount of visible burning propellant that is associated with firing a weapon. The do not effect sound, just flash.

A "clip" is sometimes confused with "magazine" but should mean a "barrel shroud" or something my daughter has in her hair.

Last edited:

Effingham

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Franklin
    Until they make one that REALLY makes that "pfft" sound you get in the movies, I'm calling 'em "suppressors." On THAT day, I will call them "silencers." ;)

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    I'll tell you the difference in a nutshell: If you tell your wife you want to buy a "suppressor" for her, you MIGHT not sleep in the barn tonight.

Top Bottom