• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bmbutch

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    About to pull trigger on Octane 9 HD w/ 3 Lug Adapter, but wanted some feedback/confirmation:
    1) Are they that much fun? $900, including stamp + xfer fee ($511 suppressor + $125 3-lug + $50 xfer +$200 tax stamp)
    2) If taken care of, approx round life?
    3) YouTube videos tough to tell, how quiet are they? Example: You don't need hearing protection, but still loud, or barely hear it go bang. Yes, I know it's not "Hollywood" movie quiet

Any advice/feedback?

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    If your choice is between putting food on the table or buying a suppressor, then it's not worth it. If it's spending money and you can afford it, then yes, it's worth it.

BrandonHtwo0

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 14, 2012
    Portage, IN
    Ive got to agree with Scutter on this one. Cool stuff.

I was actually in the market a while ago and was turned off by a number of things. If you have a private range, it may be really nice, but i would think most of the time you may be somewhere that other people are shooting, in which case you have to wear hearing protection anyway. That coupled with the price and waiting time the question needs to be asked if you would have more fun with a quieter gun or for the same price picking up 1-2 new ones lol.

There is definately some serious cool factor to supressors though. Round count varies supressor to supressor and unfortunately im not familiar with that model.

Good luck on the decision!

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    I would be hard pressed to make the justification on the rig you describe, but as the owner of a MUCH less expensive .22LR suppressor, it is well worth the money. I've found it useful for much more than just shooting it at the range where, admittedly, it has limited purpose beyond "cool factor".

JTinIN

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2010
    Home Range Richmond
    Have friends that want more noise, for them it is not worth it (instead they purchased additional $450 HK sears in the 90's ;-).

I would say if you have a question, wait until you have fired someone's suppressor first than then decide.

Last question is what are you putting it on ... assume HK or clone by three lug.

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    now if we only bought what we NEEDED we would have a single shot 22 rifle and a 12 ga pump, in Indiana that's all you need to hunt, and what other reason would you have to own a firearm.

I can only say I started with the huntertown arms 22 rimfire can and my only regret is i could have went ahead and got a 223 can and used it on the rimfires, it's like anything else, if your unsure start with a 22lr can and build up from there, or if you get the can and find out you don't smile so hard your face hurts then put it in the safe and get it out for holiday's (lol)

good luck with your decisions

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    How quiet it is depends upon the can, the weapon and the ammunition used.

When I fire my M&P 15-22, Guardian 22 and subsonic 22lr ammo all you hear is the bolt moving and the bullet hit the target.

bmbutch

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    Last question is what are you putting it on ... assume HK or clone by three lug.

Building 9mm SBR (will not finish lower until tax stamp). TROS 5" Barrel w/ 3-lug mount. Have all parts for upper except Charging Handle.

Yes, I can afford it, "adult kids" can still eat. Was very gung-ho, not sure why the sudden, Do I really want this suppressor thing popped up.

Thanks for responses, keep them coming.

Dog1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 15, 2010
    Clark County, Indiana
    About to pull trigger on Octane 9 HD w/ 3 Lug Adapter, but wanted some feedback/confirmation:
    1) Are they that much fun? $900, including stamp + xfer fee ($511 suppressor + $125 3-lug + $50 xfer +$200 tax stamp)
    3) YouTube videos tough to tell, how quiet are they? Example: You don't need hearing protection, but still loud, or barely hear it go bang. Yes, I know it's not "Hollywood" movie quiet

Any advice/feedback?

I see you are from Southern Indiana...where abouts?

I live in Clark County and have a AAC Eco9 can. You are more than welcome to come and try it.

I thought the best thing I ever did was to get a stamp for 2 SBR's.

Then I bought a can. Is a centerfire can Hollywood quite? No, but it's quiet enough...

I shoot out back and not one neighbor hears me.

I shoot 22lr through it too. It's stupid quite with subsonic 22.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    i justified my rimfire suppressor because it would help me teaching kids safty and markmenship. no ear muffs mean its easy for me to give instructions that everyone can hear without taking off and putting on muffs.

then i got bit so i dont know how im going to justify my 308 suppressor, but the aft wont let me have it until octoberish so ill figure out some justification between now and then:D

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    i justified my rimfire suppressor because it would help me teaching kids safty and markmenship. no ear muffs mean its easy for me to give instructions that everyone can hear without taking off and putting on muffs.

then i got bit so i dont know how im going to justify my 308 suppressor, but the aft wont let me have it until octoberish so ill figure out some justification between now and then:D
    Because you want it!:rockwoot:

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Here's a couple shorts of myself and KLB shooting his suppressor. Notice the subsonic 22s work better.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njReWtfWHqI[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5iBpu1APpSw[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGNq_qWG7bc[/ame]

JTinIN

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2010
    Home Range Richmond

So you don' bother / wake up the rest of he family and neighbors ... or just because it is lower cost than other options ....

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    Building 9mm SBR (will not finish lower until tax stamp). TROS 5" Barrel w/ 3-lug mount. Have all parts for upper except Charging Handle.

Yes, I can afford it, "adult kids" can still eat. Was very gung-ho, not sure why the sudden, Do I really want this suppressor thing popped up.

Thanks for responses, keep them coming.

I went around and around on the can I bought. Just a .22 but I had a rifle with a threaded barrel so I did it. While I waited I bought a pistol and a thread adapter.

When it came in I took it out and shot it in the rain with a big dopey smile on my face.

Since then I built a pistol AR and am currently in a holding pattern while I wait for the Form 1 to return. While waiting I built a 10.5" upper in 5.56 for it. Can still play, but really want the stock on the thing.

As soon as a .308 serviceable can comes out I will be all over it as well.

Do I need any of these, probably not. Do I enjoy shooting them, most definitely.

First buy was nerve wracking. Now it is just waiting for what I want to start all over again.

2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy

Any advice/feedback?

Well , yes and no . Clear as mud yet ?

The journey for me took just shy of 1 full year .

Knowing the process was going to be a PITA going into it , I elected to do two at one time . I bought 5.56 and 7.62 cans , both YHM .

The 5.56 works with .22's and the 7.62 works with AK's and bolt guns so there are multiple applications .

The "cool factor" wears off after awhile so if you want them just for that , get a fake one and save your money .

IMO , the real question is what do you want to do with them ?

I'm glad I bought two at one time but the whole process soured me to the point that I'll never do it again .

Last edited:
    Top Bottom