• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    First off, I know there is a difference between 223 and 556. My AR and Mini14 are rated for both, I asked Ruger specifically since the rifle has 223 Rem on it. For that matter my KelTec SU16C and PLR-16 are as well according to KelTec.

Can you use one suppressor for all four, AR, Mini14, SU16C and PLR-16? I have never looked into a suppressor before.
    Now, what is a good choice for a suppressor for these rifles and pistol and I am looking to not spend a lot of money though I still know it is better to spend it on the best than need to spend again.

I also have several 10/22's and a Walther P22 and a Ruger SR-22 (pistol), same questions here.

I would likely use the .22LR for a little plinking with the pistols though I might try a squirrel or bunny with the 10/22 though I don't know for sure.

The 223/556 would be used for hunting stuff like boar at night (already have the NV needed to do so). Though on the pistol it would just be a fun item IMO. :dunno:

Eventually I plan on doing other things as I have SBR suppressed plans for something too. Which also makes me ask, if I SBR my AR, can the suppressor still be used on all of them? Yeah, then there is a shotgun.... so I am trying to do this one step at a time, Suppressors first.

Edit: How advisable is it for me to set up a Trust before I start adding suppressors and/or SBR's or SBS's or AOW's to my current mix? :dunno:

Last edited:

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    For your 5.56/.223 guns, you should be able to use the same suppressor for all of them. If they are all threaded 1/2x28 that's even easier, since you could buy a less expensive direct thread can. However, a lot of modern suppressors have changeable attachment points, allowing for different threading or QD mounts.

Now, for .22, you can shoot it through a 5.56 suppressor. However, .22LR is very dirty compared to centerfire 5.56 and will leave a lot of deposits in the can (this is why basically all .22LR suppressors are user serviceable, as they need to be cleaned). But, I have read that you can burn off a lot of the .22LR crud from your 5.56 can by shooting a full mag of normal velocity 5.56/.223. It will get the can hot enough to burn out most of the deposits.

I will say that 5.56 suppressors are going to be a bit heavy for .22 host use and since it is a rifle can, may cause functionality issues on your .22 pistol hosts, unless they are fixed barrel (in which case it won't matter).

As to SBRs, you have to pay attention to the barrel rating of the suppressor. A lot of 5.56 cans will have a minimum rating of 10" to 11.5" for the barrels (the pressure gets a lot higher, the shorter the barrel), though there are some, like the DeadAir line that don't have those restrictions.

You also might want to consider getting a larger can, a 7.62 or even larger rated one, letting you have basically a single suppressor to handle just about anything. Something like the Silencerco Hybrid might fit that bill, letting you shooting anything up to .45-70 or .458 SOCCOM, along with pistol calibers and most rifle calibers smaller than that.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Look at the Griffin Optimus. Its user serviceable and will handle 22 up to 300 win mag. The only real downside will be the fact that it's much heavier than a dedicated 22 can.

The Optimus is rated for a 10.5 inch barrel in 556.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    As for a trust, are you the only one who will ever have access to your NFA items? If so, you don't need one. Do you have a wife, children, friends you trust? A trust would make sense and you'd want to get that before you purchase anything.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    Just me, no wife or kids. Have a few friends but I am not sure I would ever loan them a can without being there with them. Not because I don't trust them but because I would be afraid it would somehow come back on me and get me into trouble? IDK how loaning something like this works. :dunno:

will need to measure the bbl on the PLr-16 but I think it is too short. Oh well. I don't see myself needing it suppressed anyway.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    As long as they are on your trust, they are GTG. However, I understand being hesitant - I don't have any friends on my trust and I doubt I ever will. I'm going to get more personal in order to try to give a better answer. When you die, what will happen to your assets? I don't expect an answer, but, if you have someone in mind, I'd add them to a trust (you could always not tell them and let your will inform them). That way, they don't have to pay $200 for each item.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    My family hates guns. I don't know what will happen to them but likely they will be sold off so they can have the money for clothes and "stuff"." I am the only Christian in my family too, my nephews may come around in time as they are still young. IF one of them comes around, then maybe they will express to me a desire to have my guns but it is unlikely. In any case I will only have the one suppressor and I am not even sure I will ever SBR or anything else and machineguns are way out of my price range. Unlikely I will ever have one of them. I do get to shoot other people's stuff now and then at shoots which is enough for me.

Thanks for the info. Will the can suggested work for a .22 pistol too or just the rifle??

I do have a few 762 rifles so maybe one can for all? I have not problem screwing them on and I am never in a hurry so...

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    It will somewhat work, but it's just heavier.

For example:

Optimus in it's shortest configuration - 12 ounces
    Huntertown Guardian (not a recommendation) - 4 ounces

That's the beauty of the Optimus and the Hybrid - they can handle multiple calibers. The hybrid isn't the best for 22 because it isn't serviceable.

Last edited:

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    Thanks for the info, so it is gonna be more than one suppressor and more than a lot of time to get the money.

I appreciate your help Rookie. I really do. I will have to ponder what to do for a bit. :)

So, back to the original q, what would work best for my AR mostly and the other 223 rifle too?

Last edited:

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    OK, Opimus or Hybrid, where can I find these or should I just Google it? :D

Thanks, I do come here for this sort of info and am glad you and Beowulf helped me out. :ingo:

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    OPTIMUS SILENCER

I got mine (still in jail) from ZR Tactical Solutions.

https://silencerco.com/silencers/hybrid/

They're both good. Each has it's pros and cons.

Optimus
    Pro:
    User serviceable
    Can adjust length according to your needs.
    Con:
    Not as many calibers as hybrid. Limited to 300 win mag.

Hybrid:
    Pro:
    More caliber option
    Con:
    Not user serviceable.

For me, the Optimus was a better fit. I like the user serviceable part which allows me to shoot 22. Also, I don't see myself going larger than 308, so I didn't need the calibers the Hybrid allows.

Last edited:

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    Same here, not going more than 308. In fact I sold a lot of firearms so I could limit myself to five calibers rather than every caliber known to man. :):

Thanks again, I will look into this and get things going asap.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    guess I will have to get with my dealer to know how much this will be. I know him well enough so maybe he will cut me a good deal.

Thanks!

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    Gary, I thought you were just telling me recently you weren't wanting to do NFA? Hahahaha

I bought a Hybrid and as rookie is telling you, it'll work on basically everything but a 22lr. The optimus will work on it all though... It gets pricey by the time you buy all of the accessories thought too. I have a hybrid that I should have out of jail within the next couple months if you aren't getting in a big hurry to buy. If you go over to Terre Haute Guns he has both an Optimus and a couple Hybrids in the shop that people have purchased. You can buy through him or he is also a powered by deal for silencer shop. Highly recommend using them. Great prices, and local to us!

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    well, I like being able to take it apart to clean it. Myself. Costs less in the long run. Likely gonna use it primarily on my AR with a MAYBE on my G3/HK91.

still not sure I will do this but wanted some idea of how much.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    As long as they are on your trust, they are GTG. However, I understand being hesitant - I don't have any friends on my trust and I doubt I ever will. I'm going to get more personal in order to try to give a better answer. When you die, what will happen to your assets? I don't expect an answer, but, if you have someone in mind, I'd add them to a trust (you could always not tell them and let your will inform them). That way, they don't have to pay $200 for each item.

If they are in your will as the beneficiary of that item, it will transfer tax free to them without having to have a trust.

tacticalmaster45

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 18, 2016
    Evansville
    My dad runs a Gemtech HALO for his 556 AR needs and I run an AAC SDN6 for my AR needs (both 300blk & 556). Honesty I am impressed with the performance of the SDN6 using 556 - it is still loud but a lot better than unsuppressed (yes I know its an older design but I didn't do my research when purchasing it last year). If I was going to do it over again I would probably get the Rugged Suppressors Surge 7.62 or Dead-Air Sandman-S. I would highly recommend purchasing a 30 cal can for your first rifle suppressor to give you more options.

Top Bottom