• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Binkster

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Nov 3, 2012
    Greenwood
    I know nothing about suppressors other than I want one. I would like to suppress an M&P 22 rifle and an unknown 22 pistol in the future. My first question involves the tax stamp, does it specify an actual firearm or is it legal to move between 2 guns? My next question is what is good can for a 22? I am leaning towards one of the lower cost (around $200) that I have seen but since I am paying the ATF $200 for the stamp I don't want to buy garbage. I want it to last a long time. Any suggestions from you guys who know what you you are doing what brand I should be looking at? Thanks

Last edited:

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    One stamp per can, use it on any firearm it fits. I like the Huntertown Guardian I bought. If I had to do it over again, I MIGHT buy a 5.56mm suppressor, or even a 9mm suppressor, in order to use it on more calibers than just .22LR - but since I run mine on 4 different hosts currently, I probably would still own a dedicated .22LR can, and the Huntertown Arms Guardian is in my opinion a pretty good one to choose.

ctbreitwieser

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    DuCo.
    You can put it on as many different guns as you want. That's one of the benifits of a thread-on vs. an integral.

And I recommend a Huntertown Arms Guardian, as will most people here I think. They sound awesome, and you can get stainless baffles if you feel the need for them. I kinda wish I would've got them, but I still love my aluminum one.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    I will add another thumbs up for the Guardian.

I prefer a dedicated 22 suppressor. I will be adding suppressors for other calibers as I go. Next up is .300.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    I too love my Huntertown .22 can. I upgraded to the stainless baffles. Easier for me to clean. Little tougher. Not enough weight difference that it hurts on a pistol.

9mmsubgun-m11

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 13, 2011
    Would recommend a Silencerco Sparrow due to the ease of disassembly and cleaning. It does cost a little more,but you get what you pay for.

Clarity

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2012
    +1 on the Sparrow, but I also like the SWR Spectre. Side by side, it's a bit quieter than the Sparrow, and it is full auto and multi-caliber rated (can also shoot 5.7 mm, .22 WMR Hornet or Mag, and .17 HMR).

Faine

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 2, 2012
    Indy (South Side)
    well

I'm actually looking for the same thing, I've now shot several different cans between Hush and NFA Day so I'll throw my two cents in the pool here. From what I can tell, any "known/reputable" company is going to put out a solid product. Huntertown, Gemtech, Silencerco, AAC, etc... I've shot all of these and a few more and I can tell you that overall they gave the similar performance and sound reduction, I'm sure that technically one is better than the others in that regard but in the end they all got the job done.

(doesn't answer your question at all does it?)

So, this is what I came up with... I want a design that will allow ease of cleaning. I want a company that will stand by its product and has a good reputation for their customer service. I want to know my 200usd tax stamp didn't just buy a paperweight, and I want it for a good price. So, I took all the companies above ranked them in each of those categories and came up with the suppressor I am going to get. Which one is irrelevant, but I do suggest that if you're looking into it and you're not in a hurry that you go to Hush next year and shoot some, see if weight, wet or dry, full auto capable, or anything else is important to you. Talk to the manufacturers, see what they have to say, see what kind of service they give, ask them all your questions and then make a decision.

I really think it's worth the wait if you're unsure, you're talking about wrapping up 200usd for the stamp and the cost of the can itself for 7+ months of waiting, I for one wanted to be absolutely happy with my choice, no regrets, after all you can sell the can but you're not getting that 200 bucks back.

Hope this helps and I hope you're not in a hurry really because it's possible to end up disappointed if you pay too much for your can, buy a cheap one, don't get an option or get an option that's pointless....

+1 on the Sparrow, but I also like the SWR Spectre. Side by side, it's a bit quieter than the Sparrow, and it is full auto and multi-caliber rated (can also shoot 5.7 mm, .22 WMR Hornet or Mag, and .17 HMR).

I know you didn't say it but your statement sort of leads one to believe the Sparrow is not full auto capable or for multi-caliber, for the record, it is full auto capable and for multi-caliber. Just my perception of what you put, totally not trying to be a tool about it.

Last edited:

Clarity

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2012
    No offense taken. Wasn't sure about the Sparrow, as the Sparrow I shot wasn't mine. Do know the facts about my Spectre. Both the Sparrow owner and I agreed the Spectre was quieter.

9mmsubgun-m11

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 13, 2011
    I have the original design aluminum Sparrow and the only limitation is that it's not rated for 5.7x28. The later stainless steel design will handle the 5.7x28. Both designs will handle full auto fire. Best thing about the Sparrow,it comes apart very easy when dirty. With the SS model you can use the dip to clean,my aluminum model gets cleaned with a homemade soda blaster.

w_ADAM_d88

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Greenfield
    I've got a Tac 65 and love it. Very user friendly, and serviceable. I too wish I would have waited and saved up a little more to get a 5.56 or 7.62. Since I've got the. 22lr next is the 7.72 I think.

Faine

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 2, 2012
    Indy (South Side)
    I've seen the buildup a few hundred rounds (.22lr) can leave in a suppressor, I know you can use a larger suppressor but I for one will have a dedicated .22lr suppressor so I don't need to concern myself with the user serviceability of the cleaner caliber suppressors.

Top Bottom