• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mjelder

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    West lafayette/Columbus
    So i have a huntertown arms .22 suppressor. Can someone give me some insight as to how I would keep it pretty clean. I shoot it a lot and sometimes go 300-500 rounds between cleanings. It's got a lot of carbon caked on that I literally can't get off no matter what I try.

Also I was told to put anti seize on the end caps and around the baffle contact points where it touches the tube when inserting them. Is that wise or will it cause more carbon to stick?

This is my first endeavor with suppressors and certainly not my last. I figured this was a good cheap one to get by the learning curve with.

Any knowledge would be great.

BCCS

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2012
    If you got the stainless baffles then an ultasonic cleaner would work great.

dubsac

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    Indianapolis
    How big of an air compressor is needed to run this?

i run a 10 gal 3 hp i believe, Ive tried it on a 1/3 hp 3 gal before but it took forever, it would work for 5 sec then you would have to wait for the pressure to build up again.

or you can go the even cheaper route and just buy the gun
    21 Oz. Hopper Gravity Feed Spot Blaster Gun
    add baking soda and ur G2G. i have used soda blasting with both my outback IID and Liberty can. Just make sure you wear a mask when ur blasting to prevent the inhaling of the carbon

Ahedge

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2012
    I would just give 21st century firearms a quick call, they are the supplier for huntertown, and ask them. Friendly guys they will be able to help

ctbreitwieser

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    DuCo.
    Best method for aluminum baffles is the soda blaster. I have the original Sparrow and after cleaning it looks brand new.

What kind of set up are you using? My dad has what I assume is a 3 gal. air compressor, and Im planning on making a stop at Harbor Freight next week to pick up a blaster. Ill probably get the $35 one the dubsac posted. Will this be sufficient enough to do the job? I just dont want to get something and then it end up not working. Can I just use Arm & Hammer baking soda?

Dave Doehrman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I have the TAC-65 with aluminum baffles and clean my suppressor about every 200 rounds. If I wait much longer than that, the lead build up makes it almost impossible to easily remove the end caps and baffles.

I went to Menard's and bought a 7/8" oak dowel rod about 3 feet long. I remove the end caps and spacer and insert the dowel into the can with the dowel up against the flat ends of the baffles. I smack the dowel down on a hard surface while holding the can and the baffles usually pop out on the first or second blow. I put everything into a quart jar of 50%/50% Hoppes and Kroil and let everything soak for 24 hours.

I use a Dremel tool with a couple cone shaped brushes and carefully brush away the lead and carbon. A 12ga. brush works well to remove the deposits from inside the tube. I've seen some guys using Shooters Choice Lead Remover, but haven't tried that on aluminum.

I make sure the baffles slide into the tube with just finger pressure and then apply Anti-Seize to the end cap threads.

The whole trick is to clean it frequently or the whole can will weld itself solid with lead and carbon, requiring a trip back to the manufacturer for dis assembly and cleaning.

9mmsubgun-m11

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 13, 2011
    What kind of set up are you using? My dad has what I assume is a 3 gal. air compressor, and Im planning on making a stop at Harbor Freight next week to pick up a blaster. Ill probably get the $35 one the dubsac posted. Will this be sufficient enough to do the job? I just dont want to get something and then it end up not working. Can I just use Arm & Hammer baking soda?
    I use a 60 gallon compressor at around 100-120psi. I made the blaster out of spare junk. Yes,Arm&Hammer will work fine,I have been buying small boxes of Bakers Corner @ $.50 per box at Aldi.I found out yesterday the soda blaster works well on stainless revolvers.I had 2 .357's that were crudded up from shooting last weekend,so bad that the cylinders almost would not rotate,They now look like new. You might look into one of the blasters at HF which has the hopper on top.

Dave Doehrman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    My dad has what I assume is a 3 gal. air compressor, and Im planning on making a stop at Harbor Freight next week to pick up a blaster. Ill probably get the $35 one the dubsac posted. Will this be sufficient enough to do the job? I just dont want to get something and then it end up not working. Can I just use Arm & Hammer baking soda?

Unless you have a lot of time to wait for the air tank to re-fill, you will be wasting your money. I tried a couple of the smaller blasting units and even a 2 1/2 hp unit with a 20 gallon tank wouldn't allow me continuous operation. A buddy had a 5 hp unit with an 80 gallon tank and that would keep up. If you have the time to wait, it would probably work. Check the CFM consumption on the package that the blaster comes in and compare that to the output of the compressor.

Top Bottom