• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • yj-guy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    brazil
    is there a fully suppressed barrel for the 597. i am wanting to suppress it but dont want a can. and does it improve and decrease accuracy?:popcorn:

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.4%
    153   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    I don't know how the barrel attaches to the Remingtons, but am guessing it's not a quick detach like teh Ruger 10/22. A good Class III Gunsmith could build you an integrally suppressed Remington, but the screw on can is much more versatile. I know the integral suppressors look much nicer, but you are talking big bucks for a one off if it's not a regular cataloged item and then it's only useable on that one rifle. You can get several .22 cans for around $300 and then use it on any threaded rifle or handgun. I've got three rifles and a pistol that I can use my OutBack II on and it works great on all kinds. I've got a SU-22 for quick shooting fun and a bolt action Savage for near totally silent shooting. The chopped down Ruger MKII pistol is too much fun with the can on it!

Doug K

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.4%
    153   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    The OBII is a sealed can, so the only way you can clean it is to spray it with a solvent, like WD-40 and blast it out with air. I've had it for about six months and have put quite a bit of rounds through it. I like it a whole lot. I know you can send it back to Gemtech for cleaning/overhaul. I've heard rumors of cans going back that weighed twice what a new suppressor weighs and still worked OK. Unless you are doing a whole lot of semi-auto balsting or full auto, I don't see a sealed can being a problem.

Doug K

yj-guy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    brazil
    The OBII is a sealed can, so the only way you can clean it is to spray it with a solvent, like WD-40 and blast it out with air. I've had it for about six months and have put quite a bit of rounds through it. I like it a whole lot. I know you can send it back to Gemtech for cleaning/overhaul. I've heard rumors of cans going back that weighed twice what a new suppressor weighs and still worked OK. Unless you are doing a whole lot of semi-auto balsting or full auto, I don't see a sealed can being a problem.

Doug K
    well this might change my mind. i like the fact that i can be completely stealthy. when i get i will have updates and pics

Rick983

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 24, 2009
    I have a Gemtech Outback II suppressor like Slow Hand does, and agree with him on how practical a can that can be used on more than one firearm is. My Outback fits 5 of my rimfires. It's not as quiet as my integral suppressor I have on a Ruger Mark II. I've shot my Outback a lot and the only cleaning I do is what Gemtech advises, I blast it with compressed air occasionally and that seems to do it. Best $300 I ever spent. :rockwoot:

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    agree with him on how practical a can that can be used on more than one firearm is.

Huge :+1:

Integral suppressors might look nicer and be a tad quieter, but they are WAY less versatile. There are times when I want to shoot the suppressor on different guns, and times when I want to shoot my host guns unsuppressed. My GT Outback allows that; an integral setup would not. In fact, ALL of my cans are capable of being used on multiple hosts; I'm all about getting the most value out of my tax-stamp buck.

My :twocents:

M4_556

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    I would second the recommendation not to buy an integrated barrel. They are either inferior to detatchable cans, can't be taken appart, really expensive or a combo of these. Also, a traditional can may be used on multiple hosts. Make sure if you get a factory barrel threaded that it's alligned to the bore, not exterior, otherwise baffle strikes are coming your way.

Rick983

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 24, 2009
    M4_556 is absolutely correct about having the barrel threads aligned with the bore. A friend of mine had the local manufacturer of his suppressor also thread his barrel and he had constant baffle strikes. This is one area you don't want to skimp on. Get a good machinist/gunsmith to do this. :ar15:

yj-guy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    brazil
    definitely appreciate all the comments. you guys have a way it changing people minds, at least mine anyway. probably gona get it at the beginning of the year. does anyone happen to know someone around the central Indiana area that will make sure it is all lined up. Just so i don't have baffle strikes? didn't even realize that would happen. i don't have a factory threaded barrel.

Longshot308

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Westfield, In
    There is really only one way to correctly thread a rifle for a suppressor or a break. Few people in the area understand this. It can be concentric at the muzzle and still have round strike. It has to be concentric-less than .0005" runout-- atleast a couple of inches out from the muzzle. It does not matter how the projectile got from the breach to the muzzle- the direction of flight is determined by the last few inches of the bore. Setup is everything on barrel threading. It takes longer than the actual cutting.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    definitely appreciate all the comments. you guys have a way it changing people minds, at least mine anyway. probably gona get it at the beginning of the year. does anyone happen to know someone around the central Indiana area that will make sure it is all lined up. Just so i don't have baffle strikes? didn't even realize that would happen. i don't have a factory threaded barrel.

I would send it out to Tornado Technologies:

Tornado Technologies - Services

They would charge you $75 to thread your 597. It WILL be concentric. They specialize in barrel threading for cans.

Also, ADCO is a great place too. You would have to e-mail them for a quote probably.

Adco Firearms LLC

I don't really trust local 'smiths to do it because they make big claims, but you won't know if they did it right until your can got wrecked.

I've got a 597 as well, and I'll be sending it off to Tornado Tech to get it threaded for my AAC Prodigy.

Top Bottom