• ...and so much more!
  • Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    Until recently I carried my CZ Compact all the time. I recently bought a RAMI for summer carry. I should have the trigger job completed here in a couple of weeks and, hopefully by then, will have a suitable IWB for it. It is probably heavier than most people would prefer but I like it. It is comforting to me to still have 14+1 in a subcompact with the same MOA as my primary. I will still carry the Compact sometimes but I like having options. For me, 9mm is as low as I go for a carry gun.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    ^^^ This. FWIW, it seems to be about a 50/50 split here on INGO with respect to people who change their carry gun with the season, and those who don't. [1]

I don't. The probability of needing a defensive handgun doesn't go down just because it's summer. If anything, the risk goes UP a bit...

I can only say this for now, though.

I've not yet shot my Shield... But that, too will probably become a primary carry - winter or summer.

Then I'm back to square one. :D

buckstopshere

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Greenwood
    If you can score a shield, it's a great carry piece summer, winter, spring or fall.

If conceal carry is your thing, the shield can disappear pretty easily in shorts or pants.

alhambra lion

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    Not knowing what your normal carry is I would go one of a few routes.

If you are a 1911 guy or prefer single action triggers and/or a safety on your weapon I would look at the Sig P938 or P238. They are Mustang clones and will have a manual of arms you are familiar with if you shoot/carry 1911's normally.

If you are a wheel gun fan get a J frame. Easy answer there.

If you are into striker fired then I would recommend the Kahr P380. I know they had issues with this model at first but they have worked those out and mine has been flawless.

I have all but the J frame (not a wheel gun guy myself) and, of all these, recommend the P380 above all others. The Sig P238 is a great gun. It is by far the best .380 I have shot and I love mine. Very low felt recoil, excellent stock night sights, light & short trigger. But as a carry piece you will make some sacrifices if that is your choice. Due to the beaver tail and 1911 design it will be larger and heavier than other pocket .380s. I also don't like having an exposed hammer on a pocket gun. For the size/weight I would move up to a micro 9mm like the Kahr CM9(another gun I own and would throw in here).

The reason I prefer the P380 from Kahr is that you don't have to make the compromises you do with the P238 for size/weight yet I still have fun practicing with it at the range. It is smaller, lighter, and easier to carry in a pocket all day while also having good sights. The trigger is much longer than the Sig but is very light and with a crisp break. I expected recoil to be much worse than my P238 but it is a joy to practice with at the range too.

For me, it is the ideal pocket .380. It is pricey, but so is the Sig. You are trusting your life to it, though. You could look around for a used one or hold out for the cheaper CW380 that should start showing up this summer hopefully. Along those same lines the 9mm CM9 is another more affordable option that could be used IWB or in the pocket depending on your wardrobe. All the things I said about the P380 would apply to it.

Bigbuck5

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Arcadia, IN
    If you are looking for something to drop in your pocket, I like the Kahr pistols for their size.......I don't like the trigger. I currently have a Beretta Nano that I really like. However, as has already been said, it's not that difficult to carry a compact size pistol i.e. a Glock 19 sized firearm if you dress around the gun and have quality holster and belt......doesn't have to be expensive, but it has to be good.

+1 on the suggestion of Hawiian shirts. If those aren't your style, try a square cut button up shirt. With a good rig you can conceal a G19 under a T-shirt with no problem.

.356luger

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    martinsville
    I carry 3 guns im proficient with a, ss fnp 9mm for places such as big cities and high traffic areas with a mag in my weak hand pocket no coins or keys there. Also in the summer when the stainless isnt affected by sweat. A ss Taurus snub nose 357 for dressy occasions and what i consider low risk trips. Lastly my 6" stainless ruger gp 100 with 50 rds in my back pack 6 in a speed loader and 6 in it when i go hiking camping fishing or hunting or have watched "tombstone" in the past 2 weeks.

FootLoose.45

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 23, 2012
    Indianapolis
    the LCP is super easy gun to conceal but i hate shooting mine. i choose to carry the gun i am most proficent with and have a tuckable holster. i like the crossbreed supertuck alot and it is very concealable. but i hear the wait time for one is crazy now adays.

averycustom

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    As much as I love the 1911 Government I find myself carrying a Glock 36 as the weather heats up and I'm wearing lightweight clothing.

Regards,

Mark

snowwalker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    In the sticks
    I carry a Kahr CW45 or a Glock 36 most of the time year round, but I do make a change for winter or summer. Winter is Corbon Pow'Rball 165 grain +p 45acp, summer is Ranger SXT 230 grain +p 45acp.:D

JLL101

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 3, 2013
    Central Indiana
    Many quality options. Some are; Ruger LCP in 380 or LC9 in 9MM. Sig P238 in 380 or P938 in 9MM. Kahr small 380 and 9MM. I have shot each of these except the Kahr 380 and all are reliable and easy to handle. Some have safties and some do not. Some are DAO and some are SA. Also owned the Kel-Tec 380 but sold it after acquiring Ruger LCP as in my opinion the Ruger is a better built gun. Taurus of course has 380 and a 9MM CC size guns a lot of folks like, especially at their price point. Kel-Tec has a couple of 9MM at a similar price point as Taurus which gets a fair amount of good reviews.

Armed*Italian

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Griffith
    My advise is do your homework. Handle as many as you can before you decide. My wife has an LCP it fits her perfect, for me it was just to small. I wanted something with a comfortable grip and good control. One I could put 200 plus rounds through in a day at the range with no issues. Summer and winter carry did not factor into my decision. I ended up with a Glock 17. Carrying for personal protection is something that sould not be taken lightly.

markrageh

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2013
    Glock 36 + spare magazine.

I think a big part also comes down to the holster(low profile/comfortable).

CMac

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2013
    B-town
    I carry a SW 638 in a smartcarry holster. It's a little tough to draw from the smartcarry at first, but with practice it comes. I have done everything using this combo from hanging out at BBQs to jogging/running. When worn correctly the smartcarry is amazingly comfortable.

I also love that little 38. Semi shrouded hammer so no snagging on the draw and still have the choice between single/double action.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    I carry full size (LOL, one might be considered bigger than FS), compact, sub-compact, year around. I've adjust the wardrobe accordingly and have zero issues wearing anything I carry in any season.

And no, for the most part, I don't bother with OC on a daily basis. At the range, hunting, etc. sure.

JimmyR

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Clark County
    FWIW, I have a variety of guns I carry, more based on wardrobe that by season specifically.

For CC, I have tried some different ones out, and for now it's either a FEG pa-63, Bulgarian Makarov, or Beretta Tomcat. If I'm feeling really adventurous, I CC my CZ-75BD. I can conceal all of them about the same, i just have to pick my attire carefully.

Top Bottom