Summary of my recent 'cheap gun' purchases.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bassat

I shoot Canon, too!
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2022
    Osceola, Indiana 46561
    I know some folks cannot afford top-of-the-line hardware like Ruger, S&W, and Colt. Over the last year or so, maybe longer, I have read very mixed reviews on the likes of Kahr Arms, Charter Arms, and Taurus. I wanted to find out for myself what happens when someone (me) buys theses guns. The hardware in question here is the Kahr Arms CM9, the Charter Arms Off Duty, and the Taurus 856 Defender.

The TLDR version. I am happy with all three of these guns. Happy enough to carry the CM9 and the Off Duty. The 856 Defender 3" is too big for me to carry, but I trust it. For me, all three of these guns were worth the money I spent to purchase them. Oh, I bought all new.

Longer versions:
    The Kahr would not shoot straight out of the box. Misfeeds, misfires, failure to extract, failure to eject; you name it, I had it. Kahr customer service paid for return shipping, said the gun was too far out of spec to be repaired, and sent me a new one. I have over 1,000 rounds through it with no issues. I carry this gun.

The Charter Arms was bad out of the box and got worse as I shot it. After 2 complaints to CS, and 1 request to fix my gun, CA CS sent me a call tag. They had my gun 11 days. I have not had a problem with it since Customer Service cleaned and adjusted (huh?) whatever they clean and adjust. I know I am over 500 rounds through my repaired Off Duty, with no issues. I carry this gun.

The Taurus 856 Defender worked fine when new, but it had THE ABSOLUTE WORST TRIGGER I'VE EVER PULLED. Period. Full-stop. Ugly. Very heavy, gritty, jerky. I dry-fired it 500 times (IIRC) before my first range trip. After that trip, I dry-fired DA maybe 1500 more times, and several hundred SA. The trigger was then way smoother, but still very heavy. I now have a Galloway trigger return spring, and a stock Taurus hammer spring in it now. It works just fine. It shoots to point of aim with 148gr WC and 158gr SWC ammo. I trust this gun it is now in my home defense rotation.

I suppose one could draw the conclusion from all this that these guns were worth the cost, and saved me 50% over buying S&W, Glock, Sig or some other brand. To me, that would be a huge leap of faith. At roughly $25/hr for range time, and $30/box for ammo, I have way more in these guns than I otherwise would have buying upscale. For instance, my S&W 442 cost me about $100 more than the Charter arms. Factor in the 3-5 hours of range time, and 500+/- rounds of ammo and the cost of the Off Duty skyrockets. Ditto the CM9. 2 hours of range time and maybe 200 rounds before I sent it in, then 3-5 more hours and ~300 more rounds after I got it back, makes the CM9 a bit expensive. Comparison: my P365. In one hour I put 100 rounds 9mm FMJ, 50 rounds of 147 HST and 50 rounds of Critical Defense through it. Done. I'll carry it. Ditto the 442. 1 hour, box of Fiocchi 148gr WC, box of Double Tap 148gr WC, box of PPU 158gr SWC. Done. I'll carry it.

If you want a cheap gun, go ahead and buy Kahr, CA, Taurus. If you have the faith to carry it untested, I worry about you. In the long run, I believe you'll save money, and be better prepared, to buy name brand off the shelf working hardware. A month or so ago I picked up a 686+ 4" for $879. Lately, I've been eyeing a Taurus 82 (same size/weight) which is on sale for $389. I did try the 82 in the store today. The Taurus 82 in the store has a way better trigger than my recently purchased 856 Defender. Sale ends Thursday. Still debating.

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    The Taurus 82 in the store has a way better trigger than my recently purchased 856 Defender. Sale ends Thursday. Still debating.
    Just do it. You know you want to! :stickpoke:;).

One comment I will make about your ammo as part of the cost analysis: yes, it is a line-item expense. But it can be a productive expense. I spent a lot of time, money, and ammo getting my P228 running. The money for the replacement parts I won't get back. But I used the time and the ammo to run drills while I was testing the gun...I didn't just dump rounds into the berm or shred a single piece of paper with 100 rounds. My testing was training, I swapped targets between drills, tracked progress, and even the malfunction clearance drills (there were a lot of those) had value. It's undeniably frustrating to have a gun that doesn't work right, but I bought the gun to shoot it, and even if the primary goal was troubleshooting, I'm still shooting the gun.

led4thehed2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Oct 16, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I'm glad you are enjoying your new pistols! The issues you reported would have the opposite effect on me - they would make me want to not own weapons from those companies and would convince me that a Glock or S&W was worth the additional expense. Oh well, different strokes. The Kahr P9 was a pistol I considered when I was looking for a first handgun, never had a chance to shoot one.

Bassat

I shoot Canon, too!
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2022
    Osceola, Indiana 46561
    Just do it. You know you want to! :stickpoke:;).

One comment I will make about your ammo as part of the cost analysis: yes, it is a line-item expense. But it can be a productive expense. I spent a lot of time, money, and ammo getting my P228 running. The money for the replacement parts I won't get back. But I used the time and the ammo to run drills while I was testing the gun...I didn't just dump rounds into the berm or shred a single piece of paper with 100 rounds. My testing was training, I swapped targets between drills, tracked progress, and even the malfunction clearance drills (there were a lot of those) had value. It's undeniably frustrating to have a gun that doesn't work right, but I bought the gun to shoot it, and even if the primary goal was troubleshooting, I'm still shooting the gun.
    Well said. I suppose counting the ammo I used in testing is a bit much. I am still getting good range time and good trigger time. I shoot two hand, strong hand, off hand, SA, DA, vary the distances and such. One drill that the misfires actually got me to do was: NOT stop shooting just because a round does not go off. With the Charter Arms, and again with the 856, when I got 'click' instead of 'bang', I would stop shooting and hold on target for 30 seconds. That is a left over from my M2 'cook-off' training. I had to force my brain to ignore the misfire, and pull the damn trigger again. That is one of the nicest things about shooting revolvers: just pull the trigger again. Easiest clearance drill in the world.
    By the way, I've fired two more boxes of my PPU 158gr SWC backup ammo without another bullet popping out (up?) from the case and jamming the cylinder. Still considering switching my speed strip ammo to something like Critical Defense. What I like about the PPU is penetration. The CD doesn't reliably expand at 2" velocities, and it isn't heavy enough to penetrate. I want to use non +P ammo in all my .38s because the CA is not rated for +P.

Bassat

I shoot Canon, too!
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2022
    Osceola, Indiana 46561
    I'm glad you are enjoying your new pistols! The issues you reported would have the opposite effect on me - they would make me want to not own weapons from those companies and would convince me that a Glock or S&W was worth the additional expense. Oh well, different strokes. The Kahr P9 was a pistol I considered when I was looking for a first handgun, never had a chance to shoot one.
    I mostly agree with you. The S&W and Sig-Sauer hardware I've purchased over the last few years was more expensive than the Charter Arms, Taurus, and Kahr. The less expensive guns kept me at the range, shooting, and testing. I like shooting. I like finding the answers to the problems that come up. My 442 only cost me $100 more than the CA Off Duty. Ok, the 442 was a better deal. I'm not sure the same logic applies when a Taurus 82 or 65 is about $400, and the S&W 19 or 686 is $1,000. Don't even get me started on Colt pricing. Like you said, diff'rent strokes.

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    Your choices are solid. I also have each of mentioned handguns, luckily no issues. I try to run a couple hundred rounds through semi's, and fair to say at least 100 rounds through revolvers before carrying. These handguns offer a little variety, and are my solid BUGs.

On occasion, a milk and bread run gets me and one of them to the quick Mart.

Read bought your spring job on Taurus. Glad it worked out. My 856 is a vanilla plain 38 spec that has a smooth trigger from practice too.
    Good luck. Nice review on the 3 kinds.

Bassat

I shoot Canon, too!
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2022
    Osceola, Indiana 46561
    Over the last few weeks, I've put about 300-350 rounds through my Taurus 856 Defender, and my Charter Arms Off Duty. For the most part they work just fine... now. All in all, I'd recommend neither to someone with a limited supply of money. I like them, they work, but getting them to the point of carry reliability has cost more than I saved on the purchase price over similar S&W products. To me, it appears to be true, you get what you pay for.
    Exception to the cheap gun rule: my Kahr CM9. Over 1200 rounds and still running smoothly (after the original gun was replaced by Kahr Customer Service).

Knights1776

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 27, 2024
    Idaho
    Nothing wrong with budget guns, just sometimes they need some tweaking before they actually work. Bought a Taurus G3C optics ready two years ago. Don't regret the purchase one bit. I bet if it had another name stamped on the slide it be more popular and accepted.

Paid $240 OTD before $25 rebate. They're even cheaper now!

AWJA18

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2023
    Terre Haute
    As long as it reliably fires and continues to do so, I say continue with them. Don’t get me wrong, there is something to say for quality made items. With prices increasing recently, it only makes sense that people will begin looking at what may be considered “cheaper.

BerettaMike

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2024
    Crown point
    You could use valve lapping compound on the slide. Manually rack while watching TV or whatever. I usually just fine stone all metal to metal parts just to smooth out a little. I believe Glock uses a break in paste that's just valve lapping compound. Top of barrel in front, top of barrel outside where slide for ejection is. Then rails and striker/trigger face. Don't need to shoot anything to break in just takes a little time. Then when you clean it up put some grease for summer or iwb in winter.

Squid556

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 26, 2022
    Wabash Co.
    Good write up.
    Id say it fairly spot on with what I've come to find true. Its better to have a cheaper tool and know it works / how to use it....... Than to spend a lot on something and never test it.

But yes sometimes it is nice to just buy something quality and it work well every time. The real kick in the teeth is when you buy something expensive and it still doesn't work right out of the box!

I've had several ruger pistols that didn't run right from the factory. Ruger fixed em and now they are right as rain. I expected it when buying them. Which is why I tested extensively before carrying.

A mid grade glock build I did had a break in period before it was reliable. Same with some Shadow Systems pistols ive seen. Even a Sig 365.

Last edited:

DD15CBUS

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 16, 2024
    Columbus
    Agreed w/ the TLDR here. I have plenty of different handguns, and some were on the cheaper end or a discounted used purchase. Until I have a chance to put them to the test, nothing makes it to carry duty. I will say, with my 22 pistols specifically, the only one so far to have any hiccups w/ CCI Subsonic and a sparrow has been a TX22 compact. But taurus isn't marketing it to people ready to run suppressed, in all honesty

Last edited:

sairax

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Sep 2, 2024
    Indianapolis
    I know some folks cannot afford top-of-the-line hardware like Ruger, S&W, and Colt. Over the last year or so, maybe longer, I have read very mixed reviews on the likes of Kahr Arms, Charter Arms, and Taurus. I wanted to find out for myself what happens when someone (me) buys theses guns. The hardware in question here is the Kahr Arms CM9, the Charter Arms Off Duty, and the Taurus 856 Defender.

The TLDR version. I am happy with all three of these guns. Happy enough to carry the CM9 and the Off Duty. The 856 Defender 3" is too big for me to carry, but I trust it. For me, all three of these guns were worth the money I spent to purchase them. Oh, I bought all new.

Longer versions:
    The Kahr would not shoot straight out of the box. Misfeeds, misfires, failure to extract, failure to eject; you name it, I had it. Kahr customer service paid for return shipping, said the gun was too far out of spec to be repaired, and sent me a new one. I have over 1,000 rounds through it with no issues. I carry this gun.

The Charter Arms was bad out of the box and got worse as I shot it. After 2 complaints to CS, and 1 request to fix my gun, CA CS sent me a call tag. They had my gun 11 days. I have not had a problem with it since Customer Service cleaned and adjusted (huh?) whatever they clean and adjust. I know I am over 500 rounds through my repaired Off Duty, with no issues. I carry this gun.

The Taurus 856 Defender worked fine when new, but it had THE ABSOLUTE WORST TRIGGER I'VE EVER PULLED. Period. Full-stop. Ugly. Very heavy, gritty, jerky. I dry-fired it 500 times (IIRC) before my first range trip. After that trip, I dry-fired DA maybe 1500 more times, and several hundred SA. The trigger was then way smoother, but still very heavy. I now have a Galloway trigger return spring, and a stock Taurus hammer spring in it now. It works just fine. It shoots to point of aim with 148gr WC and 158gr SWC ammo. I trust this gun it is now in my home defense rotation.

I suppose one could draw the conclusion from all this that these guns were worth the cost, and saved me 50% over buying S&W, Glock, Sig or some other brand. To me, that would be a huge leap of faith. At roughly $25/hr for range time, and $30/box for ammo, I have way more in these guns than I otherwise would have buying upscale. For instance, my S&W 442 cost me about $100 more than the Charter arms. Factor in the 3-5 hours of range time, and 500+/- rounds of ammo and the cost of the Off Duty skyrockets. Ditto the CM9. 2 hours of range time and maybe 200 rounds before I sent it in, then 3-5 more hours and ~300 more rounds after I got it back, makes the CM9 a bit expensive. Comparison: my P365. In one hour I put 100 rounds 9mm FMJ, 50 rounds of 147 HST and 50 rounds of Critical Defense through it. Done. I'll carry it. Ditto the 442. 1 hour, box of Fiocchi 148gr WC, box of Double Tap 148gr WC, box of PPU 158gr SWC. Done. I'll carry it.

If you want a cheap gun, go ahead and buy Kahr, CA, Taurus. If you have the faith to carry it untested, I worry about you. In the long run, I believe you'll save money, and be better prepared, to buy name brand off the shelf working hardware. A month or so ago I picked up a 686+ 4" for $879. Lately, I've been eyeing a Taurus 82 (same size/weight) which is on sale for $389. I did try the 82 in the store today. The Taurus 82 in the store has a way better trigger than my recently purchased 856 Defender. Sale ends Thursday. Still debating.
    I was always wondering what I should get as my first gun on a budget. This is good insight

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    I guess I would not have Put Ruger in the list of expensive hardware, well at least not until I checked the Price of their 1911’s . Regardless I have always felt money was well spent on their offerings.

Top Bottom