Suing doctor for getting pregnant: could you do it?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Maybe we are in the minority, but my wife and I's two children were 100% planned.

That's true, and that's the case with us too. But would the same be true if you believed it were impossible for you to conceive?

also, properly performed tubal ligation leads to subsequent kids for 0.3% of women. Nothing is perfect.

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    well, keep in mind the patient lays on their back for the procedure, and depending on where they're standing the patient's right could be the doctor's left...

That's why we address this as "patient left tube."

AS for this lawsuit, I couldn't sue for "damages" being the child, but damages in this instance would be the procedure. You paid for something, you didn't get it, you're entitled you a refund for the services rendered.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    That's why we address this as "patient left tube."

AS for this lawsuit, I couldn't sue for "damages" being the child, but damages in this instance would be the procedure. You paid for something, you didn't get it, you're entitled you a refund for the services rendered.

I'm not debating whether funds should exchange hands. I just can't imagine making that intellectual argument regarding a child.

she is claiming how much suffering he will have with his intermittent sickle crises, but is there no credit given for the joy of life? Let's say she wants $5 million. If your options were to pay $5 million or be dead, which would you choose? The patient was given the gift of life, and his mom wants a lot of money in exchange for that gift. Just a curious situation.

"loss of consortium" is a classic add on in malpractice cases. But what is gain of consortium worth?

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    84   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    I'm asking if you could sit there and argue that you didn't want your child and ask for someone else to pay to raise it. I'm also not saying the doctor shouldn't be responsible if it was truly done improperly. I'm asking if you could go to court and argue that you didn't want your child and you shouldn't sustain financial impact from having another child in the home.

Sickle cell disease being labeled a handicap would be quite a stretch under most circumstances. She's 44 and "tired" from "chasing" her special needs child. That I just don't follow.
    If you don't want a child put them up for adoption. I think 4yrs is a little too late to be bringing up a lawsuit.

Mustang380gal

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 13, 2012
    Ohio's Amish Country
    Did he really cut the wrong tube? Is that admitted? The fallopian tube is not directly connected to the ovary. If an egg released, it can float to the other fallopian tube. I have heard of this happening after injury or disease to one of the tubes, and the opposite ovary.

I have also known couples who got pregnant after vasectomies, too.

The only sure way not to get pregnant is to keep the male parts away from female parts.

I would not sue.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    If all people really wanted when medical procedures go bad was the cost of treatment, lost wages and some for pain, I'd be out of a job (as a med mal defense lawyer). What most people seem to want is the opportunity to not work, or get the big house or the fancy car.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Did he really cut the wrong tube? Is that admitted? The fallopian tube is not directly connected to the ovary. If an egg released, it can float to the other fallopian tube. I have heard of this happening after injury or disease to one of the tubes, and the opposite ovary.

I have also known couples who got pregnant after vasectomies, too.

The only sure way not to get pregnant is to keep the male parts away from female parts.

I would not sue.

And my car in my first post wouldn't wreck if I never took it out of the garage.

I had a vasectomy and I realize it's not 100.00000%. But cutting the wrong tube takes the ability of getting pregnant from 100% to 100%, not .3%.

They claim raising a kid from birth costs over $200,000. That's a lot of money out of pocket when you paid for a procedure to go from 100% to .3% and you came out with 100%.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Vasectomies have a tendency to be reliable when they cut, remove a section of vas deferens, tie and cauterize (I don't want to talk about it). Then you either have repeated testing or wait at least 90 days and test, confirming no sperm (I really don't want to talk about it).

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Vasectomies have a tendency to be reliable when they cut, remove a section of vas deferens, tie and cauterize (I don't want to talk about it). Then you either have repeated testing or wait at least 90 days and test, confirming no sperm (I really don't want to talk about it).

Been there, done that. Do they do a test for women like they do men to make sure it worked?

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I guess my point was unplanned doesn't always equate to unloved. I don't see any inherent contradiction with saying "I didn't want to get pregnant, and believe you have some responsibility in this matter. However, now that I am pregnant I will keep the baby and love the child regardless."

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    You're really going there? Is this where we have to have patients draw on themselves with a sharpy to mark where the incompetents are supposed to cut? If a doctor is that stupid he should be off flipping burgers not practicing medicine.
    Ha ah, dotted line that says "cut here", circle with slash that says "no cut" everywhere else! I think I actually read about someone who did sharpie themselves before surgery with cut-no cut zones?

Top Bottom