• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SkullDaddy.45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    0hio
    And I forgot the most important thing to being a success and living a happy life. DON'T BE AN ***HOLE! Cause nobody likes them, nobody wants to hire them, and nobody wants to marry Them! I wish someone would of told me this little bit of information earlier on in my life! Other then that, all statements above are right on target!

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    So, Im gonna be 32 this year. I have always had a job, and Ive always worked hard(and I always have to take 2-4 alieve a day, and expect back surgery some day because of it). But Im horrible at planning and having any idea what I want, to even start to plan. So really its all been for nothing, and thats pretty much what I have to show for it.

So, inevitably I find myself thinking about the narrowing window on trading my present path, of no real future. To something that might be worth a damn, and give me a chance to maybe have something better than a 1BR apartment in a city I hate, 2 vehicles with a combined age of 45 years, and a small pile of firearms(of which I would keep over most everything else)

I sometimes wonder how lucky alot of people would think I am, given their hindsight, and criticisms of how THEIR lives turned out, to be 31, with no kids and no wife, and no mortgage, and no car payment.
    But its funny how much Id rather trade them. I guess some of us are never really happy with what we have, no matter what we have.. lol

My working background has led me to do many things, when I was younger and GWB was in office, it was EASY to get a job (thanks liberalism) and it was nothing for me to work a job for a week, not like it, and get another one, in another field, to see what I liked. I cant say I REALLY liked any of them.

I guess Im wondering how you people all got where you are? Those of you with careers(not just meaningless jobs), and some money in the bank, and confidence that you have a solid future, I ask, how did you get there, and what can I learn from you to help myself find my way there?

This is a big topic, and might be alittle too touchy feely for some.. Thats fine, feel free to speak your mind, Ive been alittle off my whole life(natural 3rd shifter) so Im totally used to it.
    We had/have a plan. But you have to know what you want before you can create a plan for it. And to know what you want, you have to know who you are.

Exactly! How could anyone not like Mars Hill??

A couple banks...a couple trailer parks...a couple liquor stores...a couple bars...a couple teeth... :):
    a couple cars on blocks
    a couple of couches on the front porch
    a couple of mongrels in the yard

What's not to love?

pgfrmr

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 30, 2012
    Fishers
    There are no right or wrong answers about what you must be or what field you should be in. Do something you enjoy doing, but you don't have to love it everyday. Family, wives, friends, church, and hobbies help us fill in the gaps. This is a big world The Lord created for us and YOU ARE part of that creation, therefore, you have just as much of a right to do whatever you want and be successful as the rest of us.......Now go do!

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Lots of good advice here. Like the OP, I kind of drifted around for the first thirty-something years of my life until I decided I was tired of working with my body and wanted to work with my mind and went back to school for a field that I felt presented opportunities. Blew some good opportunities along the way, and while there is a tinge of regret about those, I have to realize and appreciate that everything up to now has made me what and who I am today. I'm not rich (although 30 years ago, I would have thought that what I make now was a fortune!), but I have a home, a woman that loves me, a job that I enjoy and hope to retire from eventually, good friends and a loving family. Still not married, and no kids, although there are "grandkids" in the picture now. I have no complaints. :)

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    ...I decided I was tired of working with my body and wanted to work with my mind and went back to school...
    I had a stripper tell me this exact same thing. I helped pay her way thru medical school.

images

:):

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    And I forgot the most important thing to being a success and living a happy life. DON'T BE AN ***HOLE! Cause nobody likes them, nobody wants to hire them, and nobody wants to marry Them! I wish someone would of told me this little bit of information earlier on in my life! Other then that, all statements above are right on target!

Until I met my darling wife (#3....gee whiz) I resembled this remark. A$$ head, self centered, angry and just, well, you know.

Until I met her my life wandered with no real goals set. I worked and did OK but no expectations down the road. If you do not have a target (88 stated this so well) you will not strive to excel. No reason to if all you are doing is getting through the week.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    :):.......or damn near it........:):........

If had ta add the $$ from start.....ta finish.....my 2nd 1 had ta cost 1/4 mill.....:rolleyes:......DID keep my house an' property, an' was my main objective in the end......:yesway:

My 1st one was as bad. Total loss of home/business/guns/race car/boat/on and on.

Marry wisely. I did not. I paid the premiums on that idiocy.

Harleyrider_50

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    So. Indiana
    Deep question.
    I have been doing a lot of inner searching myself. I had the exact same attitude of hey, screw it I'm gone. 2 "X" wives and 6 kids. All raised and paid for.
    Worked in many fields/professions from HVAC-R (mainstay) to carpenter, plumber, fabricator, racing on a professional level and more. I have to say the only one of these I really liked was the racing. I was close to dropping the HVAC part of my career and going racing full time but changes in the sport (IRL) and family life made me reconsider.
    Like you I have busted my butt all my life. Wife has as well. Savings have come and gone for many reasons partly my fault and the rest out of my control. Life and plans will change in a heart beat.
    I am retired but was not financially ready for it because of the reasons listed. Wife is no longer able to work so I am here with her.
    All I can say to you is stay the course. A job/career is something you have to have not something you have to like. If you are lucky enough to find something you enjoy doing it to will get old with time. Changes in the workplace happen so fast these days. Great job today....new boss/owner and it totally sucks tomorrow.

I guess I have not answered any part of you question. All I can really say is life can be tough when you do it alone. My wife has been the best part of everything I have ever acomplished since I met her.

:yesway:......Yeah that........an' 'at go's with ANYthing enjoyable...(hunt'n...fish'n, etc....).......ya do sumthin' LONG enuff.......then it get's ta be nuth'n more'n a JOB......no fun, anymore......

Harleyrider_50

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    So. Indiana
    My 1st one was as bad. Total loss of home/business/guns/race car/boat/on and on.

Marry wisely. I did not. I paid the premiums on that idiocy.

Well........my 2nd ......did'n/don' even know whut happen'd to herself......an' STILL don't......an' was a heartbreak'n da*n shame....she was gorgeous gal,an' I thought the sun set/rose in her a_zz,LOL!...an' fought the battle ta stay in it fer 8 yrs.....anyways....still keep in touch with my step young'n (28,now.....14 when met her mom) kind'a keeps me inform'd......no better.......STILL nosedive'n like a B52 with no hope ta stay airborne.......sad, really......she'a make the news , some these times......if she don' quit breath'n while sleep'n......

calum

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    N.Central Indiana
    Get married. Have kids. It's the best thing ever. It's the hardest thing ever, but it will make you less selfish and a better person. And you'll get more out of life.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom