• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    Can any one offer some suggestions for books to read that would offer some training exercises? Or offer some low budget options for improving My skills.Right now I practice drawing and using multiple targets. I lengthened my back stop so I could set more targets up at once. I usually set eggs out at varying distances and heights. I also have a couple of stacks of pallets set up that I practice shooting from behind and moving to the other stack and shooting at more targets.I Also do a lot of dry fire and practice off hand and shooting with one hand.I may be wrong but to me it doesn't seem practical to be too focussed on getting tight groups while practicing the perfect stance and because to me if something were to happen seems like you might not have time to get set up to do the smallest group.Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    Some random thoughts before bed.

Well, there are some dry fire books out there. Ben Steger has authored one. You can find it on Amazon. Steve Anderson has published one or two also. Dry fire is probably the cheapest route to improvement.

Get a shot timer and start checking your times on standardized drills to get a baseline. Then work on the timer with decreasing par times to push the speed.

If Self Defense is your concern, consider using anatomically accurate targets and getting hits on vitals at speed, while moving, and at different angles.

1 inch groups at 25 may not seem important but shot placement is very important. You need to be able to place effective shots on target in whatever amount of time the target is available. How much time is that? No one knows.

Last edited:

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I shoot a bunch with one hand too. As well, I do malfunction drills every session. One handed if the range allows (some ranges will not allow one handed malf drills, check with the RM first).

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    I shoot a bunch with one hand too. As well, I do malfunction drills every session. One handed if the range allows (some ranges will not allow one handed malf drills, check with the RM first).
    I am very fortunate to have a private range. Nothing special its about 15 feet high by 40 feet across and its about 15 feet deep. This year I have planted some trees around it to make it look a bit nicer. I also found some of those interlocking mats to stand on. I just don't care to just let the Mag's drop in the dirt.Thanks for the tips everyone. I am also looking to try to improve my sa. Which is difficult at times.

Onionsanddragons

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 13, 2014
    Terre Haute
    Ben Stoeger's books are very good.

Mike Seeklander is giving away his ebook right now, I think. Yep. It should be on the first slide.

Pistol-forum and pistol-training are very good resources for drills and exercises.

Lots of wall drills, lots of drawing to a small target on a realistic target shape. That will get you a good foundation.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    I have a couple of clean mags left. They are still in the box. My training mags are dirty, but my carry mags are not so much. If I stepped on one and buried it in the mud I would clean it. Just letting it drop at the range is not a concern for me.

Top Bottom