• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ccrise

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 16, 2011
    Mishawaka, IN
    I just received my first AR-15. I purchased a set of Troy iron sights, several mags, and a sling. Shot at the range and was so-so at 50 yards but my eye sight is poor and wondering if I should add a scope or red dot thingy. I'm a newbie to the AR world and not sure what to add next. Thanks for any advice. I don't want to break the bank at this point.

usmcdjb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    121   0   0
    Jan 16, 2010
    Wabash County
    Depends on what kind of accuracy you want. Minute of Bad Guy is enough for me. I don't need to hit a gnat at 100 yds with my tac rifle. I think you should be ok, even with open sights, depending on your expectations.

Focus on the fudamentals. Sight alignment, sight picture, breathing control, trigger control. Clear front sight post! (don't need too good of eyes to see that - and the target should not be in focus anyway) That's the stuff they taught in the Marine Corps anyway, and it works when you do it.

How are your shooting positions? There's ways to use the sling to steady your position as well.

ccrise

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 16, 2011
    Mishawaka, IN
    jeff242: I was shooting it standing up with no support.

usmcdjb: Sounds good. Is there a web site or video showing the proper technique for shooting. I have seen a few "James Yeager" videos and he seems a little more advanced then I'm ready for.

usmcdjb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    121   0   0
    Jan 16, 2010
    Wabash County
    Do a google search for USMC shooting fundamentals. There was a class outline from the USMC there, and several youtube vids.

I've never done one, but it looks like an Appleseed would teach a lot of the same things.

In bootcamp, we did hours upon hours of dry practice - getting into shooting positions around a white barrel with small representations of our KD (known distance) course targets so we could practice all the fundamentals, before we ever started firing.

Offhand is the toughest to keep steady, but you can learn some tricks to help. And a hasty sling can help too. I will mention again though, everything depends on what accuracy you want to get. 50 yds hitting a the killzone on a torso target offhand would suit me.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I am looking at my optics options now also. I am older and optics will help me along with good shooting fundamentals. I am pretty sure I will go with a 1-4X scope as I plan on doing some multi-gun matches.

There are a LOT of discussions on whether to go red dot or scope!:)

dnurk

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 20, 2012
    Boone County
    I've never done one, but it looks like an Appleseed would teach a lot of the same things.

This is the best advice you will receive here. I shot my first Appleseed this Fall and learned more about marksmanship fundamentals than I had in decades of hunting and general target shooting. Put aside any preconceived notions you have about shooting and show up with a notepad and an open mind. It is worth exponentially more than any scope or sight you could purchase.

Check out the Appleseed subforums I cannot recommend them enough

Jakob

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2012
    Indianapolis
    A friend fixed a 1-4x scope to his AR and it really does make shooting 50-100 yards better! A 16x or 24x scope is just overkill for an AR-15. All you need is a 1-4x to get the job done!

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    This is the best advice you will receive here. I shot my first Appleseed this Fall and learned more about marksmanship fundamentals than I had in decades of hunting and general target shooting. Put aside any preconceived notions you have about shooting and show up with a notepad and an open mind. It is worth exponentially more than any scope or sight you could purchase.

Check out the Appleseed subforums I cannot recommend them enough

I would like to do one next year.

Top Bottom