• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    work on my first go at reloading, and Im starting with 9mm.

I've got a bunch or brass prepped, and ready to be charged, and bullets installed.

Im just looking for suggestions for your basic 115 grain 9mm bullets, and powder. Nothing fancy, just something for plinking right now.

thanks,
    clay

ctbreitwieser

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    DuCo.
    Are you gonna use plated, jacketed, or lead bullets?

Titegroup is a pretty popular powder if you can find it. I'd just check your manual and see what powders are listed, and go to the nearest shop to see if they have any. Chances are the pickin's are gonna be slim.

baba

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    NW Indiana
    I like the plain old winchester 115gr FMJ, or something like a Rainier plated bullet over 5.4ish grains of unique. I'm pretty sure that's what it is, but check your load manual to make sure I'm not off base here (don't have my load book handy). I may be mixing up the charge with another load. They are pretty mild but function well in everything I've tried them in.

-Brian

ctbreitwieser

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    DuCo.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    If you want cast bullets, I would check out Friendswood bullets in Texas, or Missouri Bullet company. They have gotten to where their turn-around is pretty decent now. You should be able to get 1,000 9mm bullets shipped to you for under $100, nothing to crow about, but better than most are getting these days.

praff

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Sep 26, 2009
    I will second the recommendation as Titegroup for a good all around powder but it is a little hard to find. I've also used W231 but found it to be a bit temp sensitive compared to titegroup.

SNS casting makes great lead bullets at a very fair price....they also have a coated bullet that is a little cleaner to shoot supposedly, but I have not used them. Here is a link to the SNS bullets. Looks like you can get 1K for around $75 including shipping. They are also pretty fast with shipping. I ordered 2K 45 bullets from em saturday and had em thursday.

9MM 115 GR RN Cast Lead Bullets

sig-man

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 26, 2013
    North
    I am also a fan of Titegroup. Use it for reloading my 9mm. I have used 124gr fmj 115gr fmj and 124gr jhp. All behind 4.1 to 4.3gr titegroup depending on the bullet. Its a lite load but cycles all my 9 mm handguns just fine.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    Used to use 115 g X-treme plated until I got a bunch of 124 g JHP from Montana Gold (before they raised their prices). Back then it was a better bullet at nearly the same price. Used to use PowerPistol but it seemed too flashy and smoky for me. Happy with Clays now. Takes less and burns cleaner. As was said, though, you have to be more careful with measurement.

Last edited:

nascarfantoo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 29, 2012
    Western IN
    Just recently started reloading as well, but I am working with 45acp first. Have not started 9mm yet although I have 3,000-4,000 rds of brass deprimed and tumbled. Heard good things about Titegroup, just haven't found any yet. So far I have Unique and Clays.

Lots of good advice on INGO about reloading. Another helpful forum has been The Handloaders Bench.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    I am also a fan of Titegroup. Use it for reloading my 9mm. I have used 124gr fmj 115gr fmj and 124gr jhp. All behind 4.1 to 4.3gr titegroup depending on the bullet. Its a lite load but cycles all my 9 mm handguns just fine.

I believe my load is 4.2 of Tite-Group behind both cast and plated 115g

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    This might help to get some supplies for ya if you go to gun show in Portland this weekend, can be a good selection there. Check out prices on the Internet if you go so ya don't pay to much. (my advice)

W231, H38 not H380 and titegroup, HS-6 or Power Pistol are real popular with titegroup being the most popular but might be hard to find. Bullets 115gr to 125gr anything is good to go unless you have a Glock then it's plated or jacketed bullets for you.

Steve B

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    KEWANNA
    Titegroup behind Precision Delta 124 JHP. Why JHP for plinking? Because they're only a couple of dollars more than FMJ. I also use their 147 gr FMJ for subsonics with Titegroup as well.

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County

Yep, same load I use at 4.3gr. I use it in several S&W & Glock handguns and they all eat it well.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    Titegroup behind Precision Delta 124 JHP. Why JHP for plinking? Because they're only a couple of dollars more than FMJ. I also use their 147 gr FMJ for subsonics with Titegroup as well.

OK this leads me to another related question, do any of you guys reload your defense ammo, or is that something you stick with a factory ammo?

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    OK this leads me to another related question, do any of you guys reload your defense ammo, or is that something you stick with a factory ammo?

I just use mine as plinking and practice ammo. I have complete confidence in my reloads, but the high tech hollow points available today just make me feel better using factory +p ammo. My back up mag holds my reloads.

Top Bottom