Suggestions for refinishing old Remington Birch wood stock.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mij

Permaplinker (thanks, to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    Long story short, I am looking for a good way to refinish an old Remington stock. A Mod. 788, old in original condition, lots of gun oil with years of use and wear. Not damaged other than a few dings. Been in hiding for 20+ years. I will do the bedding, I would like to end up with modern desert colors.

Already bought scope, bipod, Timney trigger, sling, Weaver style rings, ammunition . The only thing left is “how to treat the stock”. I’m not any kind of wood butcher (carpenter). Reaching out to the most knowledgeable group o guys I trust. Anybody want to help? Thanks.

Me.

Post Script: Cost is not a big issue, but I would like to do it myself. If the answer is have it done by a professional, so be it. But I’d like the satisfaction of doing it myself.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    Does the old stock have a value to you beyond being the original?

Dish soap,warm/hot water and a stiff(plastic) brush. Rinse with warm water.
    Then towel dry. Then you can strip it with an actual stripper without it getting to deep into the wood.
    *Wipe with a rag of diluted vinegar(2-3% acidy) to nuetralize and stop the caustic action of the stripper attacking the wood.*rinse was the wrong word.
    Wipe down with warm wet rag.
    Let dry.
    Refinish as you like.

or

* Tried to pre load the stock,but the search is easy to use.

Last edited:

Mij

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    Does the old stock have a value to you beyond being the original?

Dish soap,warm/hot water and a stiff brush. Rinse with warm water.
    Then towel dry. Then you can strip it with an actual stripper without it getting to deep into the wood.
    *Wipe with a rag of diluted vinegar(2-3% acidy) to nuetralize and stop the caustic action of the stripper attacking the wood.*rinse was the wrong word.
    Wipe down with warm wet rag.
    Let dry.
    Refinish as you like.

or

or depending on caliber.
    Nope, no value. Auction gun years ago. Answered that guy’s request for bolt gun recommendations.

Thread 'Help me pick a bolt action'
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/threads/help-me-pick-a-bolt-action.552317/

Started looking in the hidy spot, wife and I went to an auction and I got a good deal on some 22-250 ammo and a great deal on a new in the box scope. Saw my next project. Started ordering the other stuff Monday. Now I need to know how to reach my end goals. I don’t know squat about wood.

By actual stripper, do you mean paint stripper? Will I end up with raw wood? That would be great. I can take from there. I really don’t want to go after market stock. I would like to keep the original Mod. 788 lines and look. But a bit modernized. Kinda like a referb 69 Chevey.

And Thanks.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    Nope, no value. Auction gun years ago. Answered that guy’s request for bolt gun recommendations.

Thread 'Help me pick a bolt action'
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/threads/help-me-pick-a-bolt-action.552317/

Started looking in the hidy spot, wife and I went to an auction and I got a good deal on some 22-250 ammo and a great deal on a new in the box scope. Saw my next project. Started ordering the other stuff Monday. Now I need to know how to reach my end goals. I don’t know squat about wood.

By actual stripper, do you mean paint stripper? Will I end up with raw wood? That would be great. I can take from there. I really don’t want to go after market stock. I would like to keep the original Mod. 788 lines and look. But a bit modernized. Kinda like a referb 69 Chevey.

And Thanks.
    Yes,you will end up with raw clean ready to finish wood.
    From their you could either stain,varnish,or prime(if doing some other finish).

Little boiled linseed oil(if you stain) and all done.
    I like stain/then oil. Varnish while tougher is not really something I like. I would never paint a real wood stock.

Do wear PPE and some prep of the area if using stripper. It can cause a ton of damage, even a little blob on steel.

Mij

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    Thank you sir. I’ll follow your directions. I’ll post a few pics as days go by so you can see the results. And thanks again.
    Mij.

marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.
    There is some great info to be had about stock care and refinishing over at rimfirecentral.

An INGO thread:

You can steam some of the dents and scratches out.

Enjoy the process.

Reactions: Mij

Mij

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    There is some great info to be had about stock care and refinishing over at rimfirecentral.

An INGO thread:

You can steam some of the dents and scratches out.

Enjoy the process.
    Thank you. Ya, steam is the only way I know. That’s about all it is damaged, and that is what Mr. Hobart taught us back when schools still had a shop class. :lmfao:

And thanks for the memories, I remember when he warmed my *** for putting a piece of wood backwards into a band saw and sending/shooting a band saw blade across the shop class.

Top Bottom