• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • VN Vet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I would tell you what I sold my Golden 39A for, but I would be so shamed. I keep telling myself, he is my friend he is my friend. That lucky bastard. :>)

conan1rice

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Wayne County
    id take another look at the 10/22's. they may be simple but their deadly accurate and there is so many aftermarket parts you can do anything. But if your dead set on levers, id look at the henry's. Golden boy with the octagon barrel is pretty sweet.

davedolli

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    106   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Clinton IN
    The marlin 39A is great, mine wears a Skinner sight, and is a very accurate rifle. I also have a Browning BL-22, and as other posters have said, is a fine rifle, really like the short throw lever. The Henry's are really nice and a good deal for the money. The Winchesters are very nice, but much harder to find at a decent price.

Dave

Deucemizer

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 18, 2012
    Lafayette
    My first rifle was a Henery .22 lever action, I put roughly a million rounds through it. It still shoots great. It's the first thing I grab when there is a furry woodland creature in my trash.

doctrpt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 16, 2012
    Cope, IN
    Well, despite the fact that I really want a lever action (and I still do), I bought a great NIB Ruger 10/22 Takedown model this weekend. I am glad I got it, but will still be saving for a great lever action, and have a little money put aside should one appear. The advice and knowledge on here regarding this matter has been tremendous, and I thank all of you for taking the time to respond. It is much appreciated.

mshogren

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 20, 2010
    Arcadia
    Anyone know of any Brownings for sale locally to central Indiana? Especially liking an octagon barrel version...would settle for a henry octagon barrel as well...

Mark

pftraining_in

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    IN: South of I-70
    The Henry stands up to heavy use far better than Marlin. We shoot approximately 1,500 rounds in one day through Henry lever action 22s every year at the Karl Kelly Conservation Officer's Youth Camp. The same rifles are used for Hunter Ed classes, 4-H Instructor classes, Hunter Ed Instructor Classes and Women in the Outdoors classes all year totaling over 2,000 rounds a year through the rifles. The Marlins have feed issues under heavy use.

Here is a link on the Youth Camp:
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...on_officer_s_youth_camp_range_day_2012_a.html

Jim Duncan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2012
    Somebody indicated Henry lever actions are good guns.

Henry lever actions are not good guns.

Henry lever actions are outstanding guns!

steveIU

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 1, 2012
    Are you looking to buy a new rifle or a used one? If you're looking for a new rifle I would go with a Henry .22 lever repeater. They're light-weight, inexpensive, and fun to plink with.

Personally I would buy a used Marlin 39a. They'll set you back a little more than a new Henry, depending on condition. I've owned two Marlin 39a's and there isn't one thing I can say that I didn't like about them. Cheap and fun to shoot. You can find them made between the 50's to the 90's, and they were made very tough, top quality.

As far as where to buy... check ingo classifieds, I have seen some on here. You can check auction listings too.

Also I wanted to add: I used to stand at 50 yards and hit a 6 inch steel plate 19 times in a row with my 39a (thats how many rounds of LR the tube holds). Nothing brings a smile to your face like the sound of the lever then the *ting*.
    I second the Henry. Fun to have. Cheap to shoot.

Claddagh

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2008
    The Henry stands up to heavy use far better than Marlin. We shoot approximately 1,500 rounds in one day through Henry lever action 22s every year at the Karl Kelly Conservation Officer's Youth Camp. The same rifles are used for Hunter Ed classes, 4-H Instructor classes, Hunter Ed Instructor Classes and Women in the Outdoors classes all year totaling over 2,000 rounds a year through the rifles. The Marlins have feed issues under heavy use.

I have to take issue with those 'blanket' statements. I've put well into the mid six-figures (at least!) of assorted .22 RF ammo through my Marlin 39M over the past 30-odd years, many times going well over 3,000 rds. between thorough cleanings with no feeding issues whatever. Putting two or three bricks through it in a single range day with my nephews and/or friends has been commonplace.

Nothing has broken nor worn out to date, and it just keeps getting slicker with age.

Not knocking the Henrys. They're relatively inexpensive, readily available and I've heard nothing but good things about their customer service. They're certainly better made than most all of the old original Erma Werke model they decended from I've seen over the years were. And I can see where these factors would play a large part when choosing something for a program such as the one you've described.

But I would like to see a Henry which has seen as many rds. through it over as many years as my Marlin that's held up any better.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    I have to take issue with those 'blanket' statements. I've put well into the mid six-figures (at least!) of assorted .22 RF ammo through my Marlin 39M over the past 30-odd years, many times going well over 3,000 rds. between thorough cleanings with no feeding issues whatever. Putting two or three bricks through it in a single range day with my nephews and/or friends has been commonplace.

Nothing has broken nor worn out to date, and it just keeps getting slicker with age.

Not knocking the Henrys. They're relatively inexpensive, readily available and I've heard nothing but good things about their customer service. They're certainly better made than most all of the old original Erma Werke model they decended from I've seen over the years were. And I can see where these factors would play a large part when choosing something for a program such as the one you've described.

But I would like to see a Henry which has seen as many rds. through it over as many years as my Marlin that's held up any better.

What he said. The new marlin do have the hammer reset and a few other items like that marshield finish and the most unappealing walnut but I eould put my marlins made before 1988 up against any herny for accuracy, and overall ability to take a licking and keep on ticking,

The henrys do have a slick lever. They are not a marlin 39a,

Top Bottom