• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    I'd recommend avoiding the Ruger Mk3 22/45. There are a large number of people (including myself) having serious FTF/FTE problems with that gun. There are fixes for the problems out there, but they are coming from the gun owner community, not Ruger.

bcleven

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 18, 2009
    Whiteland
    serious FTF/FTE problems with that gun.

I agree, there are some issues but on the up side the gun is incredibly accurate.

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    You might consider a used Buckmark, or Ruger Mk II. If you want to go a bit more towards the high end, there's the S&W Model 41. I have all three of those I mentioned, and a couple more, but there's lots out there.If you want to show up in the Marion area, I'd be happy to let you try several different ones.

paperboy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 18, 2009
    Pulaski County
    I really like my Buckmark. I added a HiViz front sight and can hit shotgun shells at 25 yards. It has NEVER jammed in any way. It will eat anything I put through it, from the expensive to the cheapest ammo. It is the 5.5" camper model. I once put a red dot on it but like the open sights better. The only thing is if you want a scope on it you have to get an after market top rail for it. I had gotten one from Weigland Combat Systems. I absolutely love this pistol and will never get rid of it. If you are interested in one keep an eye on the classifieds here.

darrent

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Muncie, Indiana
    My favorite is the Beretta 87 Cheetah .22LR. My wife and son both have one. If I remember correctly, it was used by the Mossad. I figure that if it is good enough for them, then it would be good enough for my family. It comes in a .380 version also if you want to use it for CC.

As an afterthought, you can get a .22 conversion upper for your Glock.

m_deaner

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2008
    Eastside Indy
    Ruger Mark II/III or Buckmark.
    Between the two, I prefer the Ruger, but the Browning is nice too.
    If you get a Ruger, get a Volquartsen sear and trigger - brings the trigger pull down to about 2-lbs with a nice crisp break.

cklein6576

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 5, 2009
    South Bend, Worst. Mayor. Ever.
    I thought about the conversion for the glock, but that trigger is a deal breaker. I went to a shoot to check out what it was all about and it was amazed how that gun felt. I went from all over the place to a 2 -2.5 inch group with a borrowed .45. I don't want to get that crazy....yet.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Ruger Mark II/III or Buckmark.
    Between the two, I prefer the Ruger, but the Browning is nice too.
    If you get a Ruger, get a Volquartsen sear and trigger - brings the trigger pull down to about 2-lbs with a nice crisp break.

Deaner knows his Rugers. He worked on my brand spankin new MKIII 22/45. He also advised on what upgrades to make, lawyer parts etc. Now it runs like a scalded dog. Watch out steel, we're comin.

ChalupaCabras

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    LaPorte / Kingsbury
    I'd recommend avoiding the Ruger Mk3 22/45. There are a large number of people (including myself) having serious FTF/FTE problems with that gun. There are fixes for the problems out there, but they are coming from the gun owner community, not Ruger.

I had these problems out of the box with my MKIII as well. Its an extractor issue.

The factory Ruger extractor does not hold the brass tight to the bolt face. Thus the brass is not presented to the ejector properly, causing all too frequent jams of various descriptions.

Buy a Volquartsen "exact edge" extractor. Its a $12 part that takes 5 minutes to install. It cleared up all of my problems: my MKIII has been 100% reliable in the 500+ rounds I have fired since installation. Before that it jammed regularly at 30 to 40 round intervals. Now I can fire the same ammunition and mags all day with no problems. Accuracy still is and always was very good. :)

G McBride

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2008
    Centerville
    Get yourself a Ruger MK II 5 1/2" Bull Barrel and you will shoot as well as you can. These are very accurate pistols in the middle price range for a .22 Target gun.

flatlander

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Noblesville
    I had these problems out of the box with my MKIII as well. Its an extractor issue.

The factory Ruger extractor does not hold the brass tight to the bolt face. Thus the brass is not presented to the ejector properly, causing all too frequent jams of various descriptions.

Buy a Volquartsen "exact edge" extractor. Its a $12 part that takes 5 minutes to install. It cleared up all of my problems: my MKIII has been 100% reliable in the 500+ rounds I have fired since installation. Before that it jammed regularly at 30 to 40 round intervals. Now I can fire the same ammunition and mags all day with no problems. Accuracy still is and always was very good. :)

I've heard of problems but have yet to have any. My step-son has fired a couple of hundred rounds through it and it's worked fine. It's nice to know what the answer is if it starts choking and puking though.
    Thanks
    Bob

roysecup

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2009
    I bought a Buckmark Camper a few months ago and really like it. I would say that it is pretty accurate since I can hit a pop can 6 out of ten times at about 25 yards. And I'm not the best shot. I just wish I had more time to shoot it.

Rey B

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    Another vote for the S&W 22A/S easiest field strip I've found, accurate, good trigger, available barrels in 4", 5 1/2" and 7" all fit the same frame, easy to mount a red dot sight. Oh yeah and can be had for less than $250.

Top Bottom