• ...and so much more!
  • CRHK88

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    Hello all,

My wife and I recently got heavy into backpacking/hiking & biking and we are planning quite a few trips. We plan to mostly do day hikes and such with a possible 2-3 day'er/camping type once in a while. We will mostly be in northern Indiana up into Michigan including the UP, but are also planning some out west (Grand Canyon, Colorado Springs, etc.)

I am looking for a nice setup to carry with me and since I am fairly new to all of this and I was given a lot of good advice on my 1911 purchase, I figured I would bounce it off the forum.

What I would like to carry is a small EDC folder, a medium sized fixed blade and a multi-tool. We will also be kayaking so I want to make sure whatever I go with can handle getting wet without causing issue.

I don't want to spend a TON (I know that is relative, so say < $100-$125 per knife), but I will also spend more to get a good quality dependable blade with a good warranty.

As for the small EDC type folder I am strongly leaning towards the SOG Flash 1. Since I will also be carrying it daily, I liked the weight and the position of the clip. No other options at this point.

As for a fixed blade, I currently have a brand new SOG Seal Pup, which I thought I liked but I am not a big fan of partially serrated blades. So I considered getting the following:
    SOG Seal Pup Elite
    K-Bar USMC 7"
    Gerber Ultimate Knife
    Benchmade 158 *
    SOG Tech Bowie *
    * I am strongly leaning towards the Benchmade or the SOG Tech Bowie, not sure about the finish though on the SOG. I like the look of Satin but I read that the Black TINI is the way to go.

As for the multi tool I am leaning towards Leatherman because I like the fact that you can open the blade when it is closed and I also like the warranty. Plus I have read numerous positive reviews on their products.

Leatherman - Charge TTI
    Leatherman - Wave
    Leatherman - MUT - I like this one because it also has the AR15 cleaning and maint. tools.

Any input would be appreciated.

GI JOE

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    My ka-bar is over 60 years old and still as sharp and durable as ever. Carried it while was in the Marines and on EVERY single camping trip I have ever been on. It's GTG.

And the Gerber LMF II is just a bad-ass knife.

booey50

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 27, 2009
    nw indiana
    a lot of good choices for a folder in the hundred dollar range. I think you can buy a ZT Used probably in the price range. Or you can find quality folders all the way down in the 25 dollar range like the Ontario Rat 1 which I just got. This knife is nice and big and built solid. Plus Aus 8 steel so its stainless.

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    honestly most the knives you listed are ok but their quality control has been lacking, warranties aren't the best and there is just much better out there for the money.

fixed blades!

swamp rat and scrap yard knives. great blades in sr101 most the time, carbon steel so it will rust also but they are coated usually, nice convex edges, one of the best warranties in the business. made in the USA. one down side is no sheath so you will have to figure that into your costs. they make some of the best blades out there IMO.

esee knives are solid blades for the money and have one of the best warranties in the business. the owners actually go out and use knives. they host jungle survival classes every couple months and the blades work great. you could get in to several models for 100-150 bucks and they will come with sheaths, full flat grind on most so easy to sharpen. Made in the USA. downside for you is they are 1095 carbon steel so they will rust but they are coated so that helps. it's not a big deal just keep the blade wiped down with mineral oil when your going to leave it sit for a couple weeks.

benchmade has some good fixed blades you could get into for that price range also and could get a stainless model. good quality control, stainless steel, usually come with a sheath. nice and sharp and a decent warranty also. most made in the USA depending on the model.

bark river knives. I would take a good long look at these :) sharp as hell, made in a ton of steels including cmp 3v, s35v, ect (though the higher end stainless will run you more money, and A2 is a perfectly good bushcraft steel) . lots of models, come with nice leather sheaths, great warranty, convex edge so easy to maintain in the field, made in the USA also. couple of my favorite models is the bark river gunny or the bravo-1.

cheaper option is becker knives, carbon steel but coated so that helps, great blades for the money, nice warranty, good folks making them, actual knife users, made in the USA also. come with sheaths but they aren't the best that (I beleive codura set ups)

FOLDERS!

I would again skip over sog. they aren't putting out quality anymore. it's a huge problem for them. go with a benchmade mini grip or another benchmade model again most are made in the USA and are quality products.

or go with spyderco. very quality blades in some awesome steels for great prices and depending on the model most are made in the USA (starting to see a theme in this lol)

or kershaw/zero tolerance. great knives, great steels, great warranty, great company, great prices, most made in USA depending on the model. zt 0350 is right in your range and one of my favorite blades.

Emerson knives. lots of great models but you will have to buy used but not a big deal, nice steel, good warranty and the best part is every piece of a emerson knives is made 100 percent in the USA, even down to the tiniest screws :). that's a serious feet this day and age.

MULTITOOL

as far as multitools go this is the one place I'll give sog a little credit. the powerlock is a nice multi tool. can be opened 1 handed and is a very useful all around tool.

swiss army swisstool spirit x is one of the best made. built like a tank and great tools in it. not really one handed opening though but one of the best made.

leatherman... made in the USA. one of the better warranties, tons of models to fit any need.

stay away from gerber imo lol

also most everything I suggested can be gotten from knifelady and brad. if they don't have it they can order it for you. they are awesome folks to deal with and have great prices.

Last edited:

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    If you are going to get wet while camping/bikeing and Hiking a good raft ride or canoe run is likely in the works for you. For rafting/kayak and canoe running a good knife that you can get to quick is a great Idea. I got dumped in a canoe and it swamped and one of the ropes caught my foot and pulled me downstream. I was shocked at the speed i got pulled and did something about it. It was less than a week later that I bought one of these. They made one with a point and and regular blade also. You can strap it to the backpack and the bike or to the leg or wear it as a neck knife. They have been discontinued as I thinK Blackie and gerber parted ways.

Gerber River Runner Blackie Collins (Disc.model) : Fixed Blade Knives at GunBroker.com

Kind of a speciality Knife but I like knives made by blackie collins and I now go into the water with it every time. I do believe they make something now called a river knife. I prefer a thick backed drop point with 4 inch to 5 inch blade.

Mutli tool Leatherman hands down. I have two.

Folder I can tell you what not to get. CRKT. The one I got from brad as an INGO 1500 Special at a great price. Fell apart as the screws backed out and the assisted opening would lock up. It was a good blade just the rest of it was poor. I did mistake a multi pair 18 guage cable for a rope in the dark and it cut it down like melted butter. Then I had to splice it back together and let people in the door until I could get the door control power supply fuse replaced.

ISP 5353

Master
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 21, 2009
    Putnam County
    Lots of good advice above. For a fixed blade take a real good look at ESEE 3 or 4. I am sure they would serve you well and the Knife Lady here can fix you up.

prowland

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    Greenwood
    My BIL has a spyderco fixed blade from the Salt series and he takes it kayaking about every weekend in freshwater and saltwater. No rust and as always super sharp out of the box.
    I think it is called the aqua salt or something like that.

The have a whole line of folders in that H1 steel.

Might be worth looking into.

Gator762

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 26, 2011
    For a fixed blade I like the ESEE 6. My self and my kids have put three of them threw some tests and everyone knows how kis treat knives and they have held up vary well. And for multi-tool I have carried a wave for about three years now and use it every day and it still going strong. good luck. Oh ya Knife Lady sales ESEE at a great price

CRHK88

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    esee knives are solid blades for the money and have one of the best warranties in the business. the owners actually go out and use knives. they host jungle survival classes every couple months and the blades work great. you could get in to several models for 100-150 bucks and they will come with sheaths, full flat grind on most so easy to sharpen. Made in the USA. downside for you is they are 1095 carbon steel so they will rust but they are coated so that helps. it's not a big deal just keep the blade wiped down with mineral oil when your going to leave it sit for a couple weeks.

benchmade has some good fixed blades you could get into for that price range also and could get a stainless model. good quality control, stainless steel, usually come with a sheath. nice and sharp and a decent warranty also. most made in the USA depending on the model.

cheaper option is becker knives, carbon steel but coated so that helps, great blades for the money, nice warranty, good folks making them, actual knife users, made in the USA also. come with sheaths but they aren't the best that (I beleive codura set ups)

FOLDERS!

I would again skip over sog. they aren't putting out quality anymore. it's a huge problem for them. go with a benchmade mini grip or another benchmade model again most are made in the USA and are quality products.

or go with spyderco. very quality blades in some awesome steels for great prices and depending on the model most are made in the USA (starting to see a theme in this lol)

stay away from gerber imo lol

Thanks for the feedback. I would definitely prefer to stay with a USA made knife, and now that I know there are a number of quality options in my price range, I will go that route. I didn't know SOG went downhill. That's too bad, I always thought they had some of the nicest looking knives in my price range. Again, not knowing a lot about knives in general, I wouldn't really know what to look for other than a good look and decent performance. Plus, I always liked the look of the Tech Bowie.

I got dumped in a canoe and it swamped and one of the ropes caught my foot and pulled me downstream. I was shocked at the speed i got pulled and did something about it.

Thanks for the input. I never thought about that, but I do see that possibility and I would definitely want to be prepared.

Lots of good advice above. For a fixed blade take a real good look at ESEE 3 or 4. I am sure they would serve you well and the Knife Lady here can fix you up.

I actually almost purchased an ESEE 4, I think, at the last Indy 1500, but decided to hold off. It just seemed like a whole lot more knife than I needed at the time. But, I will look at the ESEE line again. VERY nice knife.

My BIL has a spyderco fixed blade from the Salt series and he takes it kayaking about every weekend in freshwater and saltwater. No rust and as always super sharp out of the box.
    I think it is called the aqua salt or something like that.

The have a whole line of folders in that H1 steel.

Might be worth looking into.

Thanks, I took a look at the Spyderco line and came across the Atlantic Salt that is in my price range.

a lot of good choices for a folder in the hundred dollar range. I think you can buy a ZT Used probably in the price range. Or you can find quality folders all the way down in the 25 dollar range like the Ontario Rat 1 which I just got. This knife is nice and big and built solid. Plus Aus 8 steel so its stainless.

I never heard of Ontario knives before, but since my search began I have come across quite a few positive comments and reviews on their products, I also read that they provide to the US military. I am not 100% sure on that, but I may include them in my options.

My ka-bar is over 60 years old and still as sharp and durable as ever. Carried it while was in the Marines and on EVERY single camping trip I have ever been on. It's GTG.

And the Gerber LMF II is just a bad-ass knife.

I always wanted a KaBar. Ever since reading "With the Old Breed" I wanted one, if anything just for the history of it.

I actually liked the Gerber LMF, but I have been warned about their QC by quite a few people lately.

Thanks everyone for the feedback. After reading the replies, numerous online articles as well as watching some youtube reviews I have changed my options. Plus I want to stay with US made. As far as I can tell, all of the knives I am looking at are made in the US.

As far as the fixed, I think I have it down to Ontario, Benchmade and ESSE. But I may throw a KaBar USMC in too just to have one. As far as the folder, I like the Spyderco line. As far the Multitool, definitely Leatherman, probably the MUT.

As for a blade material, what should I be looking for in my price range? I read a lot about 1095, 440, Aus 8, 154, Stainless, etc., but I am unsure as to what will serve me best. There are a lot of opinions on all sides. I am looking for a recreational knife that will get wet, but only be used occasionally (weekends trips and vacations). It won't likely be something that is used daily, and definitely won't have to do heavy shelter work, just mostly simple camping and hiking tasks.

CRHK88

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    Thanks for all of the replies and suggestions. After reading a number of reviews and looking into some of the suggested brands offerings, I have my choices down to the following.

Folder
    Spyderco Paramilitary G10 in Camo/Black Blade - S30V Steel or
    Benchmade Griptillian - Black Blade 154CM Steel

Fixed
    Ontario Knife - Rat 3 or
    ESSE 3

If there are any others I should look at, I am open to suggestions.

drbarnes

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Kokomo
    I would strongly suggest looking at a swamp rat ratmandu for a medium fixed blade, i see you have 3" knives listed so even the scrapyard 311 would be a great choice. Better steel and the same warranty as esee. Better looking and a better handle. You can get a 311 and custom kydex sheath for less than a esee 3.

With that said, esee 3 isnt a bad choice.

Knife Lady

PROUD TO BE AN ARMY BRAT
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Central USA
    With that said a ESEE 3 is not a bad choice and get knife and sheath for $95-$100. I don't think the 311 and having a sheath made for it is cheaper than ESEE3. Close but not cheaper.

Last edited:

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    I would strongly suggest looking at a swamp rat ratmandu for a medium fixed blade, i see you have 3" knives listed so even the scrapyard 311 would be a great choice. Better steel and the same warranty as esee. Better looking and a better handle. You can get a 311 and custom kydex sheath for less than a esee 3.

That 311 is sweet. I need to pick up a 911 as well.

CRHK88

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Northern Indiana

Thanks for the suggestion. Given that I just ordered a Spyderco Paramiltary 2, the Ratmandu is a little out of my price range right now. But, I came across a Rodent 4 that looks pretty nice for $109. While I couldn't confirm it, I did read on another forum that they offer a very good lifetime warranty.

With that said a ESEE 3 is not a bad choice and get knife and sheath for $95-$100

This may actually be the knife I go with. For the price and the warranty, it's a sure winner. I am still trying to decide on my fixed option though. I am looking at the ESEE 3 or even the 4, the Ontario Knife Company Rat-3 and thanks to drbarnes post some of the Swamprat products, specifically the Rodent 4. The Rat-3 I am including because of the price, but if I go that style, I may spend the extra $40 and get into the ESSE or the Swamprat for the better warranty.

Thanks!

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    Thanks for the suggestion. Given that I just ordered a Spyderco Paramiltary 2, the Ratmandu is a little out of my price range right now. But, I came across a Rodent 4 that looks pretty nice for $109. While I couldn't confirm it, I did read on another forum that they offer a very good lifetime warranty.

This may actually be the knife I go with. For the price and the warranty, it's a sure winner. I am still trying to decide on my fixed option though. I am looking at the ESEE 3 or even the 4, the Ontario Knife Company Rat-3 and thanks to drbarnes post some of the Swamprat products, specifically the Rodent 4. The Rat-3 I am including because of the price, but if I go that style, I may spend the extra $40 and get into the ESSE or the Swamprat for the better warranty.

Thanks!

One thing to keep in mind between the Ontario RAT-3 and the ESEE 3 is the heat treating process that is used. ESEE uses a differential heat treating process that allows them to control the hardness rating on different sections of the blade. A little harder on the edge for edge retention and a little softer on the spine for flexability with an overall average of 57rc. This is one of the reasons you see a price difference between the two plus ESEE's warranty.

Last edited:

CRHK88

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    One thing to keep in mind between the Ontario RAT-3 and the ESEE 3 is the heat treating process that is used. ESEE uses a differential heat treating process that allows them to control the hardness rating on different sections of the blade. A little harder on the edge for edge retention and a little softer on the spine for flexability with an overall average of 57rc. This is one of the reasons you see a price difference between the two plus ESEE's warranty.

Thanks for the info. Being new to knives I was not aware of that. Ontario Knife is no longer being considered. Looks like it is either an ESEE or a Swamprat.

The rodent 4 is a great little blade with a awesome warranty. No sheath though but it is sr101 steel :)

I am not familiar with SR101. Is that considered better than 1095? Corrosion resistance?

Also, I received the first and second piece to my setup today.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=6373&pictureid=24211

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=6373&pictureid=24212

This is the first "quality" knife I have ever purchased, and now that I have it I am almost afraid to carry it. I might have to pickup a SOG Flash 2 or Aegis for a beater. ;)

grunt soldier - Thanks for the Sypyderco suggestion. Sweet knife, G10, CPM S30V and super light. Wicked sharp too. Now I just have to figure out how to not lose a digit playing with this thing.

Also, I scrimped on the multi-tool and went with a Leatherman Squirt Ps4 so I could put more $$$ into the folder and fixed blade. Sweet little tool though.

Now I just have to get my fixed blade and I will be good to go. While I like the Rodent 4, I am leaning towards the ESEE although I am not sure whether to go with the 3 or the 4. Price isn't much different, although the 3 looks lighter with the thinner blade. May be better to go with a lighter blade if it is capable, especially since I will be backpacking with it. I am a little worried about the 1095 steel since it will surely get wet, but I am sure everyone else who carries a 1095 blade deals with the same thing. Maybe SR101 would be better?

Knife Lady

PROUD TO BE AN ARMY BRAT
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Central USA
    The ESEE 3 is lighter than the 4 and the 3 also comes with the belt clip and the 4 does not. Not much differnece in the weight though and both are solid knives and will serve you well as the Rodent will also or any Swamp Rat .
    The 1095 will need to be oiled periodically and other than that no big deal.

I promote ESEE mostly due to the fact that I sell them and not Busse. Both have great warranties and they are both made well.

So now it is your decision and if I can help you please pm me.

drbarnes

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Kokomo
    SR101 is 52100 ball bearing steel with the Busse heat treat. It is one of my favorite steels, it takes a mean edge and holds it for a long time. Its tough too, you can watch youtube videos of the swamp rat waki chopping down a tree and being bent to almost 90 degrees.

Edge retention vs 1095: SR101 wins
    Corrosion resistance vs 1095: tie
    Ease of sharpening vs 1095: 1095 wins
    Aesthetics of Swamprat vs ESEE: subjective:cool:

Top Bottom