• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    criterion is my choice, most of the time . criterion is a solid choice all the time. My match rifle wears a criterion. For a 20 inch rifle I have uppers that have a barrel from white oak armarment & rock river arms. My barrels / uppers must shoot 1MOA or I'm outa competition before we have even called to the line. You wanna cheap out, you cheap out, but great barrels are not that much more then mid range or cheap barrels.
    The other thing to consider is the load. You must tailor the load yo the barrel , unless 3 to 4 MOA is your goal. I was given an upper that "wouldn't shoot" ....I cleaned the barrel. Added a good bolt carrier group, built a good hand load....got a super cheapie to shoot 1½ MOA at 200 yards....
    Just some things to think about

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    I'm confused as to what the OP really wants here. Complains of a 4-6 MOA shooter. Faxon get recommended that is relatively inexpensive ($150-$175) but pretty darn good quality that'll do an MOA. Then states he doesn't need that he'll just as soon have a bolt gun instead. Well, I guess keep your 4-6 MOA shooter you already got then?

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    criterion is my choice, most of the time . criterion is a solid choice all the time. My match rifle wears a criterion. For a 20 inch rifle I have uppers that have a barrel from white oak armarment & rock river arms. My barrels / uppers must shoot 1MOA or I'm outa competition before we have even called to the line. You wanna cheap out, you cheap out, but great barrels are not that much more then mid range or cheap barrels.
    The other thing to consider is the load. You must tailor the load yo the barrel , unless 3 to 4 MOA is your goal. I was given an upper that "wouldn't shoot" ....I cleaned the barrel. Added a good bolt carrier group, built a good hand load....got a super cheapie to shoot 1½ MOA at 200 yards....
    Just some things to think about

Care to share your choice of BCG and details of the load you developed sir?

:)

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Got back from a trip to Proteq with Haven, and discovered that one of my uppers doesnt group well. I think its time for a new barrel.

Its a budget upper Ive had for years. I dont remeber who made it, but its got a Hera free float forend on it. Its a 1:8 twist. So it should handle pretty much anything.

I thought it was the bulk PMC Bronze and Wolf Gold ammo I've been using. So today I took various weight bullets that are a bit better quality. On my other AR this other ammo did improve my groups tremendously. But this one there was no change. I was getting 4 and 6 inch groups at 100 yards. (bench rest)

Any suggestions for a new barrel? The rest of the upper is fine. Works great.
    Try Shaw they have a sale on.
    Several to choose from.

Did you try 75gr-77gr bullets for that 1-8 twist? My 1-8 love 75gr and 77gr. They actually dislike 62gr and 55gr, especially M193 and M855.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I am not offended by speculation. I also appreciate defending my opinion. To each, thank you!

This is why I love this forum!
    I just appreciate keeping this on track and him taking his concern to a new thread to discuss all things concentricity and garbage barrels.

(they are already off my list since I want something better anyway, so they were not in the running.)

Squirt239

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    North of Brownsburg
    I just appreciate keeping this on track and him taking his concern to a new thread to discuss all things concentricity and garbage barrels.

(they are already off my list since I want something better anyway, so they were not in the running.)
    Just so we are clear, here's my response about the original post of PSAs email:

Makes sense. With mass produced barrels, there's no guarantee the threads are concentric, which in turn would cause baffle strikes. From my experience, the possibility is there, but slim.

Being in the business, I'd never trust a $100 barrel with a 500 plus dollar suppressor. There's always a possibility in massed produced "stuff".

Can you get a PSA barrel, and never have a problem? Possibly. Can you have a PSA barrel and have an issue? Possibly.

Everyone has their own opinions.

I have mine...

Last edited:

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    153   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    I’ve had great success with criterion, centurion, noveske, lmt, and larue with AR barrels. I’ve heard faxon makes some great barrels for the price point. Someone will say, BUT MUH PSA AND BCA ARE TACKKK DRIVERS.

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    153   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    Just so we are clear, here's my response about the original post of PSAs email:

Makes sense. With mass produced barrels, there's no guarantee the threads are concentric, which in turn would cause baffle strikes. From my experience, the possibility is there, but slim.

Being in the business, I'd never trust a $100 barrel with a 500 plus dollar suppressor. There's always a possibility in massed produced "stuff".

Can you get a PSA barrel, and never have a problem? Possibly. Can you have a PSA barrel and have an issue? Possibly.

Everyone has their own opinions.

I have mine...
    Bingo. I would not say PSA makes poor products, they have poor QC. You can get a wonderful barrel or lower, or maybe not.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    knock it off about PSA. They are not even in the running.

The PSA bash thread is here. Post your hate there.

Last edited:

Indy574

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Jun 25, 2011
    Marshall County
    Douglas barrel from Compass Lake. Which reminds me to take it out more and shoot it.

Edit. *I just learned CLE closed its doors to public.

Last edited:

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County

Even criterion says their barrels will shoot M193, M855 or other service ammunition around 3moa.

IMO if a BCA, or PSA, or Faxon, Aero etc barrel is $100 some on sale for that price, and some are that price or less depending on the brand.

Anyway if they shoot 3 moa with the same service ammunition M193, M855 etc, and only shoot 1 moa with match grade factory or handloads. Just like Criterion barrels.
    Why would I pay $300-400 for one barrel that shoots basically the same as the inexpensive barrel brands where I could buy 3 or 4 barrels for the same price?

Now if I was in long range competition I could see going Criterion because they can squeeze out a little more accuracy than the inexpensive barrels.
    However, if I'm going to shoot M193, or M855, or other non match grade ammunition I'd just buy 3-4 inexpensive barrels that get the same accuracy with that same ammunition.

If 1 moa is close enough with match grade ammunition then again I'd buy 3-4 inexpensive barrels.
    If I need 0.5 moa for long range competition then I'd buy a Criterion barrel.

That's just my frugal thoughts.

TheSpookyCat

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2024
    NW Indy
    I installed a Daniel Defense 16” bull-style barrel on my Colt LE6920 about 10 years ago now, and I have been very happy with its long term performance and consistency.

Top Bottom