• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jsx1043

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    Napghanistan
    Available Sheriff's department units have been called out to assist.

And this has to happen the weekend my wife goes out of town! It's driving me nuts stuck here at the house with the kids and not being able to respond. Prayers to all the attendees and injured, and to the families of the victims.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Spoke to Shooter521, he and his family are safe at home now,

Thanks to Chris and Evan for checking up on us, and to everyone else for your concern. My wife and I were there and witnessed the incident but are fine. Say a prayer tonight for those who were not as fortunate, and a big :thumbsup: to all the first responders and concerned citizens who jumped in to help.

indianajoe

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 24, 2009
    Fishers
    Thanks to Chris and Evan for checking up on us, and to everyone else for your concern. My wife and I were there and witnessed the incident but are fine. Say a prayer tonight for those who were not as fortunate, and a big :thumbsup: to all the first responders and concerned citizens who jumped in to help.

Glad to know you and your family are okay. And I too noted the streams of people moving forward to help. Heartening.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    And THIS is why I stress over and over again how important emergency medical training is for the average person. It's one of the most important preps in my mind. The more folks out there who are trained the more people get to go home after terrible incidents like this. Kudos to the civilians out there who stepped forward and used their training and kudos for the professionals who did their jobs well too.

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    Prayers go out to all the injured and their families. My cousin and some other family were all down there as well. Luckily they were further back and out of the way. I'm glad to hear that so far no INGO'ers have been hurt. Definitely a tragedy!!

Personally I don't know why they didn't have some sort of bracing in the front of it to keep this from happening. Think about it, all the weight of the lights and speakers above, along with tarps and such on the back that would catch a strong wind. To me that is just asking for it to blow over. I think after this that maybe they should rethink their design a bit.:twocents:

7th Stepper

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2011
    Indiana
    WTHR just reported 3 confirmed dead, possibly more. That's a change from the 4 they reported earlier.

They just upgraded it back to 4 confirmed dead, 40 some odd injured, from a 7 year old to some older adults. The patient who went to Riley is a little 2 year old girl, with what I think they said was a broken arm. But simply sending her to Riley, that tells me that more is going on than it being reported. Poor little baby! My prayers are with her and her parents. They must be besides themselves with worry! I know we certainly would be!

Last edited:

7th Stepper

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2011
    Indiana
    :rockwoot: +1 for those Fairgoers.

Another +1 for the emergency responders. From what I'm getting, they arrived within minutes to provide aid.

THANK YOU Rock, for the specific "thank you" to the EMS responders. Those "thank you's" are few and far between, which most people don't realize. No slams to anyone else who responded, or anyone who helps at any accident scene, but the ones who actually are trained to save your life, right then and there, and keep you alive until you get to the hospital, are the EMS people, who're at the scene. From 1 retired medic, I say Thank You to you for saying and recognizing that.
    7th Stepper

The EMS were there even before anyone else, there were several in the audience and they dropped what they were doing to respond to those less fortunate who were injured, risking their own lives and health to do it. And the crowd was fantastic, a real tribute to human KINDNESS!

7th Stepper

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2011
    Indiana
    And after reading all the other posts thanking the EMS workers, I repeat what I said to RockofStrength, THANK YOU ALL, for being such a special group of people, who find the best in people and thanking them, for protecting those who aren't able to protect themselves in violent situations, and for getting involved, regardless of the risk to yourselves. And for standing up for what you know and feel is right. You're all a GREAT bunch of people, and I'm proud to be a member of such a wonderful group!
    7th Stepper
    (Retired, but still helping where and how I can) "Old Medics never die, they just quietly step aside for those who're faster, and have more advanced training."

Last edited:

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    Personally I don't know why they didn't have some sort of bracing in the front of it to keep this from happening. Think about it, all the weight of the lights and speakers above, along with tarps and such on the back that would catch a strong wind. To me that is just asking for it to blow over. I think after this that maybe they should rethink their design a bit.:twocents:

I work in the "entertainment biz," and know the crew that assembled that rig (Mid America Sound Mid-AmericaSound) and have more than likely worked on that exact stage. The guys at Mid America are pros, and they are safety oriented. The design of their stages are "industry standard" and considered state of the art. But nothing is perfect, and mother nature can destroy anything given 1/2 a chance. Does the top act like a big sail? Yes, it does. But artists will not perform w/o a top. The lights and sound (looked like a V-DOSC rig) do make it top heavy, but I can't fathom that the investigation will find that Mid America exceeded ANY load ratings; and the ratings are typically 25% of the true failure point. I expect we'll see Kerry on the news, and I'm sure that he's heartbroken over this.
    I'm an audio and video guy, so I don't pretend to know all there is to know about rigging. But I do know Mid America, and I would work under their top(s) without hesitation. My guess is that the one that fell is the first one listed here: http://midamericasound.com/?page_id=15
    I'm really worried about the spot ops... typically there is a manned spotlight suspended in each corner of the top; I hope they had enough time to climb down.

Last edited:

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    I work in the "entertainment biz," and know the crew that assembled that rig (Mid America Sound Mid-AmericaSound) and have more than likely worked on that exact stage. The guys at Mid America are pros, and they are safety oriented. The design of their stages are "industry standard" and considered state of the art. But nothing is perfect, and mother nature can destroy anything given 1/2 a chance. Does the top act like a big sail? Yes, it does. But artists will not perform w/o a top. The lights and sound (looked like a V-DOSC rig) do make it top heavy, but I can't fathom that the investigation will find that Mid America exceeded ANY load ratings; and the ratings are typically 25% of the true failure point. I expect we'll see Kerry on the news, and I'm sure that he's heartbroken over this.
    I'm an audio and video guy, so I don't pretend to know all there is to know about rigging. But I do know Mid America, and I would work under their top(s) without hesitation. My guess is that the one that fell is the first one listed here: Roof & Staging | Mid-AmericaSound
    I'm really worried about the spot ops... typically there is a manned spotlight suspended in each corner of the top; I hope they had enough time to climb down.

They didn't :(

4 members of Stagehands Local 30 were in the rigging when it collapsed, 2 of them are in critical condition.

Been years since I worked with Kerry and/or MidAmerica, but I agree with your sentiment, they don't build junk.

dukeboy_318

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 22, 2010
    in la la land
    I have to say this is tragic and very saddening. My first thoughts are with the familys and loved ones of those killed and injured. My God Bless your family and be with you during this hard time. I am glad more people were not injured, even 1 injury is too much, but it could of been a lot worse. Though I'm sad for those that were injured and killed, I was happy and am still happy to see so many bystanders and concert-goers rushing to the aid of their fellow man. Just showed me that the desire to help those in need still exists. Well done to those who helped. I hope all injured pull through and heal as best as possible.

I hate to switch this over to being the jerk to point this out and I may be ill-timed in this, and I apologize if this offends anyone, its not intended too, however, no matter what fair officials say, as soon as that Severe Thunder Storm Warning went into place at 2139 local time, they had 11 minutes prior to the collapse at 2050 local time, 11 minutes is not that long of a time to evac a big public event, but 11 minutes would of given enough time to move the crowd from the pit and under some kind of protection. I have worked crowds like this and events like this in the past. I do not buy the excuse that they were "putting people into place should an evac be needed." With that being a VIP section, I guarantee you that security and police were right next to it. I can see that from one of the videos shown on WTHR, there were security and police all around that pit. it wasn't like there was no staff there to help in an emergency evac.

I had friends at that concert, I've heard back from 98% of them(most were no where near it, a few were but didn't get hit.), they are all saying the same thing, that they saw the clouds rolling in and that an official came on stage and told them of incoming weather BUT that the official also stated that they were going to go ahead and try to get the concert in so my friends said they didn't think it was all that bad since the fair wasn't making them go to shelter, so they stayed. Shortly there after, the wind knocked it down. To me this sounds like the fair and concert officials seemed more concerned with getting the Concert underway then with safety or the incoming storm. I can't even begin to imagine what the aftermath would of been had this happened 10 minutes later with Sugarland on stage. Not that they are more important than any of those citizens in the pit but we all know the increased attention and outcries that it would of had whenever a celebrity is involved in something like this and it just solidifies my point I'm trying to make. Safety for the persons at the event, to me(this is my personal opinion) seemed 2nd in priority on the part of the fair and concert officials to get the show in, especially with this popular of a group. They should of played it safe and evac'd, the people out in the open especially. I know its easy to sit here and arm chair quarter back this, but at the first sign of a storm, especially having been informed of a Severe Storm warning, I would of without any doubt, ordered the Evac. I'd rather have a couple hundred annoyed fans then even 1 single injured person. But I wasn't there and no amount of 2nd guessing the fair crew will bring the dead back or heal the injured any faster. I'm just hoping that lessons are learned from this so that this never ever happens again.

Again, I apologize if this is too soon and offends anyone, Just wanted to voice my concerns about this. Again, my heart and prayers go out to all those in attendence, whether they were directly injured or not, they had to go through this tragic event and watch it unfold in front of their eyes.

Last edited:

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom