• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chadman

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2012
    The Glock 27 is a great gun IMO. It's small in the hand without the extended magazine, but still manageable. It conceals fairly well with the right holster and clothing. I shoot it as well as the Glock 17 FWIW.

I can recommend the Crossbreed Supertuck and I also use a High Noon holster for IWB, and for OWB I use a Galco rig. At about 5:00 it doesn't print at all with the right clothes.

For sheer ruggedness and whatever wear you plan on, I think the Glock is hard to beat. The finish is extremely durable and when you get sweat on it you can take care of it like you would with any other gun, just no worries about it as it happens.

Cam

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Tipton County
    I own both the G27 and the Kahr CM40.....the CM40 has been with me since going through the break-in process while the Glock has been lonely in the safe. I really like this Kahr and don't find the recoil to be bad in any way. I enjoy shooting it as much as I do any of my guns. Plus I don't know of a nicer feeling trigger short of a good 1911 trigger.

My vote is the CM40.

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    I meant to mention this in my first post but totally forgot. How set are you on a .40? A whole new world opens up if you consider a 9mm? I'm no expert on calibers, so I won't sit here and lecture you on them, but just purely on an option basis, considering a 9 really changes the game.

Cam

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Tipton County
    I meant to mention this in my first post but totally forgot. How set are you on a .40? A whole new world opens up if you consider a 9mm? I'm no expert on calibers, so I won't sit here and lecture you on them, but just purely on an option basis, considering a 9 really changes the game.

In what way does it 'change the game'?

Hogie08

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2012
    I've got a Walther PPS in .40 S&W and I love it. The recoil actually feels less than my full size M&P .40. The main complaint that I have heard from the PPS is the rather unorthodox placement of the mag release. My answer to this is practice, practice, practice.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Im not necessarily totally invested in .40cal my wife carrys a cw9 and I have a FNX40
    so either would do. I intend on concealing inside my right side or backside.

If you are going to carry on your belt, IWB, I'd see no reason to limit yourself to the capacity of a Shield or to carry a really small gun. The Glock 27 or a 26, or an M&P 9c or 40c would carry well, and offer your more capacity. I carry my 27 in a Galco King Tuk, and love that setup. I can use the same holster for my Glock 23.

I'd personally lean toward the 9mm in a gun this size, as like I said earlier the 40 can have some bark & bite in that size gun. Some will say not, but IMO the .40 in that size gun can be a challenge to hold onto/control flinch, etc.

I would HIGHLY recommend a Smith and Wesson M&P .40 compact. I am a gun dealer in Denver and have shot or owned every firearm mentioned in this thread so far, and I am a very strong supporter of Glocks and M&P's. My current daily primary carry or backup carry is the M&P 40c. Handles the recoil well, ultra reliable and priced well. I wish I could get more in stock. I do not feel the loss of capacity of the .40 Shield is worth the size difference from the compact.

Edit: I pocket carry it as well with a Desantis Nemesis pocket holster, part# N38BJE1Z0

The S&W 9c/40c is a great choice, kind of in between the size of the Glock 26/27 series and the Glock 19/23 series. I have a 9c and like it alot. My hangup is that I am so used to a Glock trigger that I need to train myself more with my 9c. Even with the Apex RAM in it, the trigger reset is going to take me some getting used to.

Bob45

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Metamora
    Ive got a PM9, and I like it a lot. I feel you are more likely to carry a smaller gun than a g26/27. I have a back pocket holster, a front pocket holster, an ankle holster and an IWb. Threres really no reason not to carry it. Its an easy gun to shoot once you get used to the trigger and mine is 100% reliable and has factory nite sights. Id get the 9 over the 40 though

SANDART70

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    Avon
    Ok im considering 9mm now , I have 9mm & .40cal ammo stock piled in the safe so if I have more options with 9mm im open for suggesions.

OiRadio47

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 21, 2010
    Mishawaka
    I was happy with my G23 and G27. Until I bought the Shield 40. Sold the G27 IMEDIATELY.

Going with a sub-compact, the single stack is the way to go.

Concealing the G27 was about the same as concealing the G23.

SANDART70

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    Avon
    Thx for all the info. I narrowed it down to the M&P sheild 9 or the Kahr CM9,PM9.
    not as bulky as the glock & springfield. I guess it will come down to whatever I find first
    selection being limited at this time. Keep you posted on what I get and give you a review.

CAT 1000B

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 23, 2012
    If you can hold out until you find a Shield 9, I think you will be very satisfied. I love mine, although I also love my Shield 40. The Kahr CM 9 I had shot well and functioned great but the magazines split down the back side when I had mine.

Cam

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Tipton County
    If you can hold out until you find a Shield 9, I think you will be very satisfied. I love mine, although I also love my Shield 40. The Kahr CM 9 I had shot well and functioned great but the magazines split down the back side when I had mine.

Magazine split down the back? Haven't heard that one before. How did that happen? They are TIG welded down the entire seam. Did you happen to get any photos of them?

CAT 1000B

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 23, 2012
    I didn't get photos. They didn't split down the center. They split down the back corners starting from the top down where the metal is folded. The first one split after the third or forth magazine full. I chalked it up to just bad luck. The second split in the same spot after I had shot the gun for a few weeks.

Top Bottom