• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MDave

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 1, 2009
    Or see if therenis an INGO Meet & Shoot sometime this spring. Many people here would be willing to let you try stuff out, and answer questions.

+1 this. Many a gun has been sold at the range before you ever get to the store. Lots of great people on INGO with lots and lots of cool toys. Take advantage of their hospitality and check some of these out. Even if youve found your first purchase.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    My suggestion is to find a shop that has a large selection of firearms for you to handle. Go there during off peak hours, let them know upfront that you are new and that you are just looking today to get more information before making your final decision. It is a great way to start building a relationship the the shop and they will or should appreciate the honesty. Once you do make the final decision I would give the shop and the same sales Rep the purchase just in case they work off commission.

Gun shows are a little to loud and hectic for a new shooter to deal with, plus the added cost of having to rent space at gun shows puts a little more pressure to sell guns to recoup their expenses. The extra pressure has even the nicest shops a little too busy to talk when they have a line of potential buyers behind you.

We all have seen the guys at gun shows that don't know squat about guns ( I think they also work at GM) have a table set up and are giving bad advice to anybody that will listen. LGS should have knowledgeable staff that will be there with follow up questions as opposed to Bubba with a table at the gun show.

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    I think I have an advantage over a lot of the guys here since I am a female. For the most part, most older men go out of their way to show me their guns and talk to me about them.

I feel much less inhibited to touch the guns at gun shows than I do in a LGS since it is mostly self serve.

I won't even look at the guns at tables that don't allow touching without assistance.

tonybia

Marksman
    Rating - 88.9%
    7   1   1
    Apr 24, 2013
    I don't know about you but I always feel more comfortable asking to handle guns at a store than at the gun show unless the person on the other side of the table offers.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Go to an LGS, hopefully off peak hours, and ask questions. Ask questions you already know the answers to (you can get them answered here) and see what they say. Ask to handle things, they shouldn't mind at all. Fitting a gun is like tailoring a suit, it's interactive and takes time. You can simultaneously find a comfortable gun and learn whether the gun store will be helpful to a n00b. Do see if you can hook up with someone, here or elsewhere, that can let you try out some things. They may have a comfortable gun in a caliber you're not ready for, or a caliber you like in a gun that's wrong for you, but you can usually find the sweet spot that way. Don't sweat it too much if you get it a little wrong the first time. You can change later if you find something better. Wait until you start trying out holsters, that'll give you some perspective!

nater30/30

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 8, 2013
    Grant County
    I always take extra zip ties with me and if need be cut them so I can thoroughly check everything out and reapply. If i feel disassbly is necessary, I will do so. If they won't allow me, I pass. Don't over look anything! You can get ur a** burned at shows lol.

CitiusFortius

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    NWI
    Gun show are a perfect place for you if you don't like to "bother" the sales people or feel like you are putting them out by asking to see too many guns in the store (you aren't!).

This all the way. The big dealers have a rectangle enclosure of tables with a few employees in the middle. I'm not a huge fan of looking at guns at shops until I'm ready to buy. You can typically grab a quick feel without anybody bothering you at the shows because When I'm at a LGS and ask to see a XD - the sales guy stares at me and I say, "uh, cool" then hand it back.

I'm a keep to myself guy and prefer the anonymity of gun shows.

Top Bottom