• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PTinbound

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    DeMotte
    Hey all, I just came home with my first CZ-82 9x18 Makarov and I have a dumb question. Of course I haven't tried to take it to the range yet, but when I pull the hammer back (or rack the slide to do it) and then try to dry fire it, the hammer is falling short of the firing pin, so it seems like it wouldn't fire. Am I missing something? If there was a round in there would it magically work?

On another note, how in the heck do you take these things apart to clean them? I find no takedown lever whatsoever...

Thanks!

PTinbound

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    DeMotte
    I thought the safety too; it seems the safety is like a 1911, with the hammer back, it won't even budge when you pull the trigger with the safety on. Then I take the safety off and try to try fire it, and the hammer comes forward all the way to just short of the firing pin - almost like the decocker on my Taurus PT-99. But unlike the Taurus, this happens when I pull the trigger, not when I push down on the safety.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    10°17'42.48"N 85°5
    Try this. dry fire it, keep the trigger pressed and push forward on the hammer. Does it contact the rear of the firing pin? Mine does the same thing and appears to fall short of the firing pin. Here's what I'm thinking. Remove one of the grips, dry fire it keeping the trigger pressed and push the hammer forward. You will see that there is a point at which the hammer strut and mainspring "disengage" and allows the hammer to fall forward under it's own momentum. But, once the hammer rocks forward it engages the hammer strut again and the strut actually pivots the hammer back. That coupled with the spring tension of the firing pin makes it appear that the hammer isn't falling all of the way forward. I think its so fast you can't see it.

Here's a link to a complete disassembly and reassembly. It's a real pain however it gets easier after about the 10th time.

CZ-82 Disassembly and Assembly

You can test it. Mark the rear of the firing pin with a sharpie or something. Fire it and see if the hammer leaves a mark on the firing pin.

jamstutz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 9, 2008
    Berne
    To check if the hammer is hitting the firing pin when dry-firing, put a pencil in the barrel [eraser first]. If the hammer is hitting the firing pin, the firing pin should pop the pencil out of the barrel. :yesway:

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    :yesway:
    To check if the hammer is hitting the firing pin when dry-firing, put a pencil in the barrel [eraser first]. If the hammer is hitting the firing pin, the firing pin should pop the pencil out of the barrel. :yesway:

Good advice. And since it's durable enough, turn the pencil around and dry fire it also. It should reveal a pin strick (deep or shallow) indicating it will set off a primer.

Blind Squirrel

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    In a van, down by the river
    I had the same concern when I brought my CZ home. It uses enough inertia to contact the firing pin and detonate the primer when fired though.

BTW...congrats on the purchase. I have had zero misfires with mine and enjoy the heck out of shooting it. It also makes an interesting conversation starter with those not familier with Communist weapons.

Enjoy.

PTinbound

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    DeMotte
    You guys are geniuses. I tried the pencil trick and it worked flawlessly. I even thought about shooting the cat with the pencil, but then thought that pointing a real weapon at anything even without bullets might not me a good idea :( Anyway, I have to go to work so I can't try to take it down yet, but it seems simple enough - at least the basic field stripping. I may not try the gunsmith level of all 2 million parts.
    Must go to range soon!

Top Bottom