• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • No Time to Shoot

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Ok, I've been contemplating this for a while but haven't had the guts to try it. Can you use brake cleaner to clean gas cylinders and actions on semi autos? I have some that can be a royal pain to disassemble and clean each time. :dunno:

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Can you use brake cleaner to clean gas cylinders and actions on semi autos?

Ever hear of Gun Scrubber? Same stuff.

Be advised, though, that carb/brake cleaner pretty much just displaces surface gunk; it does not penetrate, and is not especially good at removing stubborn carbon deposits. And it leaves whever you use it on bone dry, so don't forget to re-lube afterward if necessary. It can also be harmful to some plastics (a buddy of mine melted the grip panels on his girlfriend's Beretta with that stuff once), and you don't want to get it on your skin.

I keep a big can of Gun Scrubber on my bench and use it occasionally to clean out the nooks and crannies of various guns (usually when I do my annual detail strip/inspection/cleaning), but prefer other products for day-to-day use.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    BE VERY CAREFUL WITH IT! Try it on synthetic (read plastics, rubber, etc..) parts that you are going to spray in an area that you can live with it being melted before spraying the whole thing down. And as shooter said lube the h*ll out of it where ever you spray it!

On a side note you may want to try Barbasol Shaving Cream.

No Time to Shoot

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Thanks guys!

BE VERY CAREFUL WITH IT! Try it on synthetic (read plastics, rubber, etc..) parts that you are going to spray in an area that you can live with it being melted before spraying the whole thing down. And as shooter said lube the h*ll out of it where ever you spray it!

On a side note you may want to try Barbasol Shaving Cream.

Barbasol? How do you use it or how do you clean it out of the gun when you do use it.

I'm also thinking about using more dry lubricants on my guns. Any thoughts?

22rssix

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   2
    Mar 27, 2008
    Indianapolis
    There are two gun scrubbers. One says that it is safe for synthetic/plastic parts the other is not.

I use the syn safe stuff on my XD and beretta no issues so far.

With my semi-autos I pull the stocks off of the reciver that way I get no grime/oil on the wood or syn stocks.

Plague421

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Portage
    I use Hoppe's to do all the scrubbing with a brush and then I use GunScrubber to "rinse" if you will. Then I use a aerosol can of RemLube to finish it off. I reassemble the gun ad wipe off excess oil. I have never had any problems my guns still have their finish and my 1911 doesn't malfunction. With the AR-15 instead of RemLube I use grease.

dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    My own cleaner of choice for 90% of non-bore cleaning is Simple Green. Spray it, let it sit for a few minutes, go over it with a nylon bristle brush, rinse with water, dry, and lube with Break Free.

For the bore, I'll usually start with hot water (if shooting corrosive ammo--such as surplus ammo in the Mosin) or spray down the bore with Simple Green and proceed as above (minus the brush and waiting on the Break Free step). I follow that with Hoppe's #9 or Hoppe's Benchrest and patches until clean, then shoot some Break Free down the bore and use a clean patch to spread it and remove excess.

standanjohn

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2009
    Be warned that brake cleaner will work, but the results will scare the crap out of you. I have used it on the slides of my baby eagle and USP. I almost had a heart attack when I saw that it turned them almost white! Plenty of lube later, they were back to great working (and asthetic) order. Make sure tht you get every moving part well lubed. It cleans very well. It is not a cleaner that is for the faint of heart, though!

Plague421

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Portage
    Be warned that brake cleaner will work, but the results will scare the crap out of you. I have used it on the slides of my baby eagle and USP. I almost had a heart attack when I saw that it turned them almost white! Plenty of lube later, they were back to great working (and asthetic) order. Make sure tht you get every moving part well lubed. It cleans very well. It is not a cleaner that is for the faint of heart, though!

That white film, which is what I am assuming you are talking about, is the "no residue" that is printed on the can lol. It always comes right off with a little bit of oil and a rag/silicon cloth.

standanjohn

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2009
    Yes, it comes right off, like I said, with plenty of lube. I was just saying that the first time you try using a $3.00 can of brake cleaner on a $600 gun and see it turning the slide completely white will scare anyone half to death!

Top Bottom