• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • stack23

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2011
    NWI
    I have a choke tube that i can't seem to get out :xmad:... Tried a bit of liquid wrench but does not seem to be helping much, anyone have any tips for me? I now know to use the choke tube lube next time

Chance

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    Berne
    Watch out for heat

Vent ribs are typically soldered onto the barrrel. Too much heat and you have a problem. You can try soaking the end of the barrel in a good penetrating oil and then use a really good quality choke tube wrench to loosen it.

stack23

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2011
    NWI
    I have it soaking in oil right now.. im going to try and loosen it tomorrow night and see what happens.. I believe the tube was a bit loose when I was shooting which caused it to get stuck

top hat 45

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 4, 2008
    northern shelby co.
    what brand of barrel and choke tube? i havea couple good tube wrenches that has pulled tubes from my remingtons after several thousand rounds of not cleaning....daryll

stack23

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2011
    NWI
    carlsons tactical... do you use choke tube lube? I think that was part of my problem also, I bought some today so this hopefully won't happen again

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    My shotgun uses Invector style chokes. I use just a small dab of high temp anti-seize compound when putting them in. Never had one get stuck.

Hope you get yours freed up man, That sucks.

Last edited:

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Get a good, all metal choke tube wrench. Hold the barrel so the choke is pointing up, and put a firm tension on it in the direction of loosening. Have smeoen take a small hammer, and tap rapidly on the end of the wrench. Reverse direction and tap again. if you can even get it to move an 1/8th inch, you are in business. Keep tightening/loosening while your buddy keeps tapping with the hammer. you will gain more and more each time. After you can get it to turn one revolution, re apply penetrating oil. Keep tapping each time. Even when you can force the wrench without tapping, don't do it or you can bugger the treads. The tapping and back and forth motion keeps breaking down the rust and saves the threads. I know it is slow, but if you save the barrel, it is worth it.

woodsman07

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 8, 2009
    Get a good, all metal choke tube wrench. Hold the barrel so the choke is pointing up, and put a firm tension on it in the direction of loosening. Have smeoen take a small hammer, and tap rapidly on the end of the wrench. Reverse direction and tap again. if you can even get it to move an 1/8th inch, you are in business. Keep tightening/loosening while your buddy keeps tapping with the hammer. you will gain more and more each time. After you can get it to turn one revolution, re apply penetrating oil. Keep tapping each time. Even when you can force the wrench without tapping, don't do it or you can bugger the treads. The tapping and back and forth motion keeps breaking down the rust and saves the threads. I know it is slow, but if you save the barrel, it is worth it.

Excellent advice! Been there before, this will do the trick.

Tydeeh22

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    Indiana
    well. leo is on it this morning. i was going to recommend using a good ole punch and hammer. hope ya get it out one way or another.

stack23

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2011
    NWI
    *update*

I let the choke tube soak in marvel mystery oil for about 3 days, came off relatively easy with just my hand :D was able to save the choke and the barrel.. Next time i will definitely be using choke tube lube.. Thanks for the help everyone :patriot:

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Yeah it's not a big box store item.

No prob though, as I know of two gun shops nearby that stock it.

Brownells had/has it. If web ordering might as well go to the source- Kano Labs.

Spray version kills showstoppers when working on Jeeps :)

Top Bottom