• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Also on a side note, I run all 2 stroke engines at 16/1 ratio. They will last forever. At 50/1 2 maybe 3 years max depending on usage.

Not necessarily a good idea. By increasing the oil in the mix you decrease the gas messing up the AFR and you run lean. It's best to run it at the factory recommended specs. Running at the factory recommended ratio you shouldn't have any problems and if you do it's likely due to an error in mixing or some other cause.

:twocents:

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    Well, since you asked for opinions...I'm gonna give you mine:

SHINDAIWA. They make several models; I have the Professional.

I've had it for 15 years; never a problem. That rascal will cut down small trees. You get what you want, but that's my vote.

At the time, they were comparably priced with Stihl. :yesway:
    This for sure. ^^^^^^^^^^^ I still have Echoes but started making the switch to Shindaiwa last year

Shindaiwa USA - Trimmers, Blowers, String Trimmers, Multi Tool, Weed Wacker | Shindaiwa USA | Shindaiwa-USA.com

Oresti

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2012
    Get the one that isnt tap and go or whatever that stupid head setup is. Get the one that you feed an 18" or so piece of cord into... Much easier.

If you wind the line correctly on the head, the tap feeds work fine.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    Regardless of what trimmer you get, I recommend Shindaiwas new speed-feed trimmer heads. The 1st minute of this video shows how they work.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNupuo5ss4k[/ame]

dailylc

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Evansville
    First off, stay away from the big box store for your purchase.
    Secondly, as a lawn and landscape contractor for 11 years now, I have used, for the most part, Echo. I'm still running a backpack blower, I bought 11 years ago. But 2 years ago, I tried a SHINDAIWA. It cost less then the Echo trimmer, but gave the same performance. I believe the model is GT225. It come with a speed feed head, which is simple to load string. The most important thing to do is, run 89 octane of higher fuel, that is ETHANOL free.
    Good luck on you purchase!

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I love my Stihl chinsaw so I can only assume their trimmers would be fine too. But 8 years ago, I bought a Husqvarna similar to the one in your OP and I love that thing too. I despise trimming but that thing has hardly ever been the excuse why.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    First off, stay away from the big box store for your purchase.
    Secondly, as a lawn and landscape contractor for 11 years now, I have used, for the most part, Echo. I'm still running a backpack blower, I bought 11 years ago. But 2 years ago, I tried a SHINDAIWA. It cost less then the Echo trimmer, but gave the same performance. I believe the model is GT225. It come with a speed feed head, which is simple to load string. The most important thing to do is, run 89 octane of higher fuel, that is ETHANOL free.
    Good luck on you purchase!
    If you can find ethanol free fuel, I cannot find any here in Evansville.

augdog

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2013
    Sheridan
    I have always spent more time trying to get my weed trimmer running than the time it took to trim. I bought A Stihl last year has A auto choke system starts on the first or second pull.

giovani

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2012
    Sthil has a great setup in that you can buy one gas power unit and buy several attachments ,a string trimmer head, chainsaw pruner,hedge trimmer, sicklebar wead head,leaf blower/guttercleanout attachment.

And i might be forgetting one.

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    STIHL ALL THE WAY! I have a trimmer and blower(can't remember numbers, too lazy to go look) that are probably 10 years old. 2 stroke and run like a scalded dog.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I've only had one trimmer in ~18 years & it's a Stihl FS36. I just broke the string guard so have been thinking do I replace it or the whole trimmer? I'd like something that balances better. Seems like this one is too short. This thing has run great and has only been in for one carb adjustment right after I bought it. I've also heard it was made by Echo. :):

Oresti

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2012
    Sthil has a great setup in that you can buy one gas power unit and buy several attachments ,a string trimmer head, chainsaw pruner,hedge trimmer, sicklebar wead head,leaf blower/guttercleanout attachment.

And i might be forgetting one.

The kombi system is awesome!

Top Bottom