• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bobbittle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 19, 2011
    West side
    Looking to buy a new string trimmer to replace the junk battery-powered Black and Decker I currently have.

What I want for sure:

GAS
    2 Stroke
    Straight shaft

Looking at these 3 currently, but open to recommendations:

ECHO 2 Cycle 21.2 cc Straight Shaft Gas Trimmer-SRM-225 at The Home Depot

Shop Husqvarna 28cc 2-Cycle 17-in Straight Gas String Trimmer at Lowes.com

Plainfield Equipment - Plainfield, IN 46168 Plainfield - IN

Don't mind spending the $$$ for a decent unit, but don't need anything massive (any of the 3 I picked are probably overkill for my needs :D)

As much as I hate to say it, I'm leaning towards the ECHO right now, especially with the 5 year warranty, but going through a big box store, getting it worked on will be a hassle, whereas if I got a Stihl through an independent dealer, maybe not so much.

For the record, saying the above statement pains me since I work at Lowes. :D:D But the Husky just doesn't get the good reviews the other 2 get.

Last edited:

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Stihl

I have an MS200T, MS361, FS130, and BR600. I Stihl makes it and I need it, Stihl will be what I buy.

mcolford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010
    Get the one that isnt tap and go or whatever that stupid head setup is. Get the one that you feed an 18" or so piece of cord into... Much easier.

troy28

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 21, 2010
    Behind the crosshairs
    Stihl

I have been down the battery powered and electrical road. In the end I have 2 useless trimmers and a Stihl that has taken care of everything I need and then some. My tipping point was when a couple friends showed me their 6+ year old stihls that still run great.

Good luck!

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    STHIL.... PERIOD!

I halve a worn out STIHL 14 inch chainsaw and it still cuts through anything like butter and was made in like the 90's. have used their commercial weed eaters and blower as a profession an have never had an issue, all have tons of power.

Last edited:

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Stihl for sure...

I have an FS130R and love it. Tons of power... It's 4-mix (4-stroke but mixed gas so you can still tip it upside down etc like a 2-stroke)

I got it out this week to use it for the first time all winter. Hadn't been started since about September I'm guessing. Pump the bulb twice, flip the choke on, and 1 pull and it fired right up... I didn't do anything special to winterize it or anything, just drove it hard and put it away wet last year. It was pricey, but worth every penny of it...

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    Stihl for sure...

I have an FS130R and love it. Tons of power... It's 4-mix (4-stroke but mixed gas so you can still tip it upside down etc like a 2-stroke)

I got it out this week to use it for the first time all winter. Hadn't been started since about September I'm guessing. Pump the bulb twice, flip the choke on, and 1 pull and it fired right up... I didn't do anything special to winterize it or anything, just drove it hard and put it away wet last year. It was pricey, but worth every penny of it...

I fired up the chain saw for the first time in months... About 20 pulls and it was running.... Not bad for an old machine. There is also no primer.

jetmechG550

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Stihl! I have had stihl equipment since I have been a home owner. Prior to that it was using a friends working on the hunting property. My blower is a little cold blooded but it's no bother, after all so is my CRF250R but she runs like animal after a little warm up.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    Stihl or echo. I have echo and would not hesitate to get a stihl. I like my echo, it starts every time, but leaves you with a feeling of wanting just a bit more power then it makes.

It gets the job done no question about it.

pwoller

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Go to a pro shop and get a commercial grade trimmer. It will out last the residential ones and probably be much more efficient. Since I stopped buying landscaping tools at the big box stores I have been much happier. Whether its Stihl or Husqvarna they both make great machines.

Skywired

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Aug 14, 2010
    Cicero
    Well, since you asked for opinions...I'm gonna give you mine:

SHINDAIWA. They make several models; I have the Professional.

I've had it for 15 years; never a problem. That rascal will cut down small trees. You get what you want, but that's my vote.

At the time, they were comparably priced with Stihl. :yesway:

Oliver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Having worked for my Dad's lawncare business for over 10 years it's my opinion that a Shindaiwa trimmer is the best available. Over the course of many many years, we've tried out numerous brands, and finally settled on Shindaiwa. They're pricey though. We beat the hell out of our trimmers by using them as more of an edger.

Harley

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2013
    I have a stihl that I bought in 1997 or 8 and i've never had the first problem out of it. Never even the first sparkplug change or anything. Every once a year or so I will blow out the air filter. Highly reccomend Stihl products. I have several chainsaws with same reputation.

Also on a side note, I run all 2 stroke engines at 16/1 ratio. They will last forever. At 50/1 2 maybe 3 years max depending on usage.

Hammer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    On the lake
    Forget the big box store offerings. (No offense) But they are not the same.

Go to a reputable dealer that actually works on them and get one there, that way if you have issues they can help you.
    Echo makes a good trimmer, but their dealer network is limited.

Stihl makes a good unit as well and has a great dealer network.
    I have used Stihl's for a long time and have no regrets.

Shindiawa makes a good product as well but the dealer network is almost non existent at best.

Top Bottom