• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dragon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Muncie, IN
    I've learned that there aren't many people I can truly depend on who are around when needed, so I stick to training to get it done myself. Been down that road enough times to know. ;)

jdhaines

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Toledo, OH
    I'm working on gaining the equipment to start the stronglifts 5x5 program and mixing it with my current kettlebell regimen. That along with the diet I outlined earlier and an intermittent fasting similar to eat-stop-eat and I should see gains more quickly than I am now. I just got the Olympic weight set cheap on craigslist, now I'm going to build the squat rack sort of like this one below. The kettlebells have helped tremendously, but I still feel like I'm missing out on a few of the benefits of the old-school complex heavy lifts.

Dragon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Muncie, IN
    Yeah JD, you can't do without squats and deads that's for sure. I could see a case for doing heavy cleans instead of deadlifts, but nothing can replace squats. Bench press isn't AS useful to me but I still like it anyway.

It's a shame you're so far away man or I'd say lets plan a workout session to trade some ideas.

RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    I've learned that there aren't many people I can truly depend on who are around when needed, so I stick to training to get it done myself. Been down that road enough times to know. ;)

I thought that you Modsquad guys were all pretty tight? anyway man your more than welcome to head down to Anderson if SHTF, I'd happily give you food & shelter in exchange for helping out around here.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    There is another downside to being real strong. Big strong people tend to over-estimate how big and strong they are.

I saw a very muscular young man believe he could just grab a hold of a 2,000 lb calf that was freaking out and control it. Right up until it dragged him across the arena and stepped on him.

I hold no illusion that I'd be able to force a cow to go anywhere except where it wanted to go.

My dad has also suffered through 2 hernia surgeries because of how strong he was.

I guess this falls into the "just because you can doesn't mean you should" category.

Last edited:

Dragon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Muncie, IN
    I thought that you Modsquad guys were all pretty tight? anyway man your more than welcome to head down to Anderson if SHTF, I'd happily give you food & shelter in exchange for helping out around here.

Haha yeah we are but still I've learned to count on no one, then only I'm to blame if I fail.

Hooker

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2011
    NW IN
    In a survival situation, I think what we are talking about here is simply
    what exercises make us healthiest and maximize body potential. If we
    study the healthiest humans that ever lived, and follow our genetic
    programming, we will move toward the kinds of activities that hunter-gatherer
    societies thrived on. You have to be able to sprint (not jog), climb, jump,
    lift, crawl, carry, push, and pull. These are the the activities for which the
    body has been genetically programmed and therefore it is healthiest
    when challenged in this way.

My personal routines reflect this approach. I do bodyweight exercises,
    martial arts (brazillian jiu-jitsu), plyometrics, and things like that.
    I can tell you, as a result, I am stronger and more fit than ever before
    and yet I never lift weights.

It just so happens that in a survival environment, we will have to reproduce
    the same kinds of movements. Exercise like a caveman.

Just my two cents.

Dragon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Muncie, IN
    In a survival situation, I think what we are talking about here is simply
    what exercises make us healthiest and maximize body potential. If we
    study the healthiest humans that ever lived, and follow our genetic
    programming, we will move toward the kinds of activities that hunter-gatherer
    societies thrived on. You have to be able to sprint (not jog), climb, jump,
    lift, crawl, carry, push, and pull. These are the the activities for which the
    body has been genetically programmed and therefore it is healthiest
    when challenged in this way.

My personal routines reflect this approach. I do bodyweight exercises,
    martial arts (brazillian jiu-jitsu), plyometrics, and things like that.
    I can tell you, as a result, I am stronger and more fit than ever before
    and yet I never lift weights.

It just so happens that in a survival environment, we will have to reproduce
    the same kinds of movements. Exercise like a caveman.

Just my two cents.

Your outlook and your training seem to be two different things. If you're pushing, pulling, lifting, or grappling then you're meeting unnatural resistance. Take for example a push-up, you're pushing more weight than if you made the same motion while standing up. Doing BJJ alone is different than doing it with a partner.

Resistance fuels us to adapt motor function as well as muscular function. I love bodyweight work so don't get me wrong when I say that you will never be as fit as you could be if you did add strength training of some sort.

There have been some insanely fit people over time who only did bodyweight stuff, like Herschel Walker who did hundreds of push-ups and thousands of sit-ups each day but he was a genetic exception who could still have benefited from using weights.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    You want to lift heavy stuff for a long distance? CrossFit. I have been doing it for 2 years now and LOVE it. I keep getting stronger. If I can reach it with my hands...I can climb it. I also happen to be a certified CrossFit instructor so I may be a bit biased. For 10 years prior, I lifted and ran 3 times a week and got so bored I stopped working out. I now workout 5 days a week and have yet to get bored. I have also gained a great deal of self confidence. My gym follows mainsite crossfit.com My sigs reflect my fitness philosophy.

jdhaines

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Toledo, OH
    Yeah JD, you can't do without squats and deads that's for sure. I could see a case for doing heavy cleans instead of deadlifts, but nothing can replace squats. Bench press isn't AS useful to me but I still like it anyway.

It's a shame you're so far away man or I'd say lets plan a workout session to trade some ideas.

Sounds like a good time. I'm in Lafayette many weekends which is a little closer to Muncie. Maybe this Fall or early Winter when the summer rush of "things to do" slows down we can work something out. I'd be interested to pick your brain on a few topics.

Maybe we should get a small "INGO Fitness Roundtable" group going. Try equipment and implements out, discuss form, everyone talk about what's worked for them. Could be fun.

Dragon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Muncie, IN
    Hahah Denny very nice sig, Jack Lalane was the man!

JD that sounds like a good idea, summer school is definitely kicking my ass at the moment so I think later might be better as well.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    59949_1504626627840_1599486007_1200309_5461628_n.jpg

Practical, or just a way for me to brag about my brother?:D

Top Bottom