• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    It seems to me that I just read a story a week or so ago about this happening. A few guys at the range, one saw the case hit the tray of ammo and boom.

Are primers getting more sensitive? I have never heard of ammo going off this easily until the last few months...

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    Different batches of primers have different levels of sensitivity to impact. If a primer is seated a little too deeply the anvil is closer to the compound than normal and a light impact in just the right place will set it off. People who reload for S&W revolvers with very light springs have known for years that if you seat the primer deeply enough to almost crush the primer it will fire in a gun that will not ignite a standard primer. I have been using Federal primers for many years and when seated deep enough to almost flatten the cup they will fire every time where factory ammo would not. Everything was just right for this to happen. Another reason I cringe every time I see someone at the range whack on a pistol's slide when it doesn't go fully into battery.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Had this same thing happen at Eagle Creek a few years ago. A guy was shooting a Taurus .380 with Wolf steel case ammo. Ejected case flew to the right about 12', landed on another shooter's carry ammo (Remington Golden Sabre .45ACP) that was in a plastic box. Hit the primer just right, 45 detonated.

IMO, thats not as shocking as a .40 setting off another .40. The diameter of a .380 rim would be small enough in comparison to a round using a large pistol primer that I could believe it possible that it could enter deep enough to detonate the primer. Comparing a deprimed .40 case to see how deep the rim of another .40 enters, I wouldn't of thought it would be enough.

I do think there possibly could be enough force though. If the case leads with the heavy end ( web end) when ejected with any authority, all that would left for this to happen would be a one and a million perfect hit.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    I find it hard to believe that the force of impact set off a primer. I've seen out of time revolvers that a firing pin hit a primer hard near the center without the primer firing. I could, however, believe a hot case falling and laying on a primer could cook it off.

About being in barrel, a cartridge needs to be in a barrel for the bullet to have any directional stability, but, if it goes boom outside a barrel, case and bullet are still going to go flying and a hot ball of burning powder in all directions. Not enough velocity to penetrate skin most likely but enough to sting or damage an eye.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I find it hard to believe that the force of impact set off a primer. I've seen out of time revolvers that a firing pin hit a primer hard near the center without the primer firing. I could, however, believe a hot case falling and laying on a primer could cook it off.

About being in barrel, a cartridge needs to be in a barrel for the bullet to have any directional stability, but, if it goes boom outside a barrel, case and bullet are still going to go flying and a hot ball of burning powder in all directions. Not enough velocity to penetrate skin most likely but enough to sting or damage an eye.

I understand what you are saying. Until I saw the case on display at Roush, I would not of believed it possible either.

I keep hot cases from jumping in my ammo. That thought just bothers me, but honestly, I'm not sure if a fired case would even be hot enough to set one off. If I remember right, it takes 300-400 degrees to cook a round off.

As for the primers with distinct strikes... I wonder how many of those are either dead primers or primers that simply weren't fully seated.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    while cases aren't moving all that fast, they do carry some decent momentum and since they are usually spinning like crazy from hitting the ejector that adds to effective speed at which the primers are stuck. Any time I've seen this, or pictures of this, the primer had a nice crescent moon shape dent from the rim of the case. I bet had you found the case that's what you'd have seen.

Anymore, I wear safety glasses just about any time I handle ammo (especially since I store most of mine bulk, loose). Over the years, there have been many things that I would have thought to be impossible* or improbable that I have either seen happen or known people to whom it happened first hand.

-rvb

*That said, there are some, ahem, "theories" in this thread I still consider impossible...

jim7310

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 31, 2010
    Westfield
    I too have had firing pins strike primers hard and fail to detonate - however, as was stated above, the observed phenomona is hard to dispute. This sounds a little like the claims of using fillers in reduced loads occasionally causing ringed chambers - multiple experimenters tried to recreate the phenomona with test equipment on a pressure barrel with no luck, yet there are many cases of shooters who have ringed chambers after using fillers in reduced loads. It happens very, very rarely - but it does seem to happen. Jim

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    I would have said that, since they were sitting in a styrofoam tray that static electricity was involved. Styrofoam is horrible about static charges.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    hot enough they aren't going to cook off sitting in the sun. But not so hot they can't cook off in the chamber of a machine gun.

-rvb
    Yes, Machine Guns, do get a little warm, don't they..... We did night live fire, in the USMC, you would be surprised, at how red the gas tube glows, after just one mag., (30 rounds), of ammo.....

Top Bottom