• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA
    Once home Terrance unloaded the cans and rifle. He set up his bench to clean the new acquisition. He opened the case and sat his new rifle in the vice on the bench, it was then that he realized it was way longer than he had originally thought. He giggled at the thought of now having a rifle capable of taking out a vehicle and not just the occupants. Especially with the MK211 RAUFOSS rounds he was given.

The RAUFOSS round had a projectile which had an armor-piercing tungsten core, an explosive and an incendiary component. It was capable of penetrating lightly armored targets causing damage to anyone inside after it penetrated by exploding and scattering incendiary shrapnel outwards. It was suitable for taking out helicopters, aircraft and lightly armored and unarmored vehicles as well as punching through most standard construction buildings and houses. It had been proven to being capable of igniting jet fuel under the right circumstance. This lead Terrance to believe that it could possibly ignite a diesel-powered vehicle as well.

After it was cleaned and oiled Terrance opened one of the ammo boxes and loaded up one of the ammo boxes with the standard M2 ball ammo, to sight her in. The second he loaded with ammo from a second can he opened marked M2 AP. The black tipped armor piercing ball ammo. He opened yet another ammo can to load the last box with 5 rounds of silver tipped M8 API ammo and the last 5 rounds in the box would be the prized, hard to come by, expensive, green and grey tipped MK211 RAUFOSS rounds.

Terrance marveled at the entire weapon system, after taking a few “proud poppa” pictures of the new rifle as well as some detailed photos of the model and serial number for his insurance files Terrance put it back in the case, he traced his finger around the cutout for the suppressor wondering how quiet the thing would actually be.

Knowing the standard ammo was pretty accurate, he figured he would have to invest in some projectiles and reloading equipment to build his own ammo and “recipe the barrel” as he called it. Finding the best match of projectile, powder, primer and exact over all round length to make the barrel sing with accuracy.

Maybe some manufactured ammo might be better than nothing so he would ask Danny to find him a hundred rounds to play with. Their cases might be better to reload then the NATO ammo he had.

After putting the rifle away and cleaning off his bench Terrance closed the gun room door and went to the desk in the corner of the living room where his computer was. It had dust on it, he laughed as he cleaned it off waiting for it to fire up. It had been awhile since he had used his personal laptop.

He was going to upload the photos and he decided to spend a little time corresponding via email with “old friends,” some would be happy for him that he had a new toy. He thought it might get a couple of them to come for a visit.

After connecting his phone and uploading the photos to his private server at work he sent a few emails and logged off the computer and shut it down.

Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA
    Just as Terrance was contemplating what to have for dinner his phone went off, a text, from Diana. It read “Hey I am free tonight, I know it’s late notice but I had plans cancel and wanted to see what you were up to.” Terrance waited about 5 minutes before he replied.“Ms. Grisom, although it is short notice and although I am a very busy man, I would gladly meet you this evening. Please convey time and place and we can negotiate terms.”

She immediately replied, “I will be at Two Peeps Brewing Company at about 7:30 PM, if you happen to show up and feel like having a late dinner I am sure we can find somewhere agreeable.” Terrance replied, “I will see you there.”S he sent back a winking emoji. “Oh lord” Terrance spoke out, “why does everyone use these little characters instead of saying what they mean.”

Terrance looked at his watch, it was 6:25. He looked at Knotty and asked if she was hungry. She stood up and walked over to her bowl looking back as she was to saying well yeah the bowl is empty. After feeding Knotty and changing clothes Terrance checked the weather app on his phone and decided it would be a nice night to ride.

He grabbed a jacket and stuffed it into the saddle bag on the bike in the garage. Started it up and pulled it out to let it warm up. After closing everything up and setting the alarm he jumped on the bike. He didn’t like just getting on and riding without letting it warm up. An old superstition but he had plenty of old timers tell him that an air cooled engine last longer if you let them warm up and the oil disperse throughout the engine.

With a simple click his phone was secured into the doc on the handle bars, he turned on the radio and took off down the drive. After closing the gate he selected a playlist from his phone, “Ridin” was his “Harley music” or so Alia called it. She had commented years back that Terrance had different music for different things. He didn’t listen to the same style of music all the time. A habit she had picked up. They traded music and had been to their fair share of concerts together, something that shocked many.

Using the hand controls Terrance found a tune to listen to and he rode to meet Diana.

Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA
    Pulling up in front of the place Terrance could see there was no designated bike parking. So he would have to take up a whole car spot just for one bike. Terrance hated to do this but there wasn’t any other choice. Walking in Terrance knew it wasn’t a place he would frequent. They didn’t serve any sort of alcohol, only beer, beer they made. Terrance wasn’t fond of odd beer. He really didn’t care, he was there to meet Diana.

He found her sitting at the bar sipping on a pint of an amber beer. She acted like she didn’t see him walk in but he scanned the room when he walked in out of habit and could see that she would have seen him ride by slowing to turn in to the parking lot and the mirror behind the back of the bar would have given her a good view of the area behind her.

It was easy to spot people who were situationally aware. Something certain people did, like scan a room, check for exits, cover, concealment spots. Things most people would never consider.

Sitting down next to Diana Terrance realized he needed to go to the bathroom. A side affect of riding he thought. “Ms. Grisom, I think I shall visit the little boys room and will return momentarily.” Diana looked, grinned and nodded towards the hallway to the right. Terrance nodded back and stepped away.

After returning and sitting down Terrance noticed that someone had sat down next to Diana on the opposite side, she had instinctively scooted her stool over towards his. With someone sitting on the other side of the open stool it made getting into the seat a challenge. Terrance pulled the tall heavy stool backwards by its back rest letting it’s legs squall on the dyed concrete floor of the bar as if to announce his presence.

He slid in between the stool and Diana making sure he was close enough to smell her perfume. A fragrance he enjoyed. He decided to use it as the ice breaker asking “What is that lovely fragrance you are wearing Ms. Grisom?” Diana scoffed and jokingly said, if you must know its by Victoria’s Secret. Terrance must have looked embarrassed as the bartender heard the comments and was grinning as he walked up to ask what he was having. Terrance quickly turned and looked at the bartender.

The bartender sat a coaster in front of Terrance and started with “We offer Bavarian pretzel sticks, chips & salsa and popcorn to much on and todays special brew is a mild wheat ale.” Terrance felt the heat of his face as he asked what other beers they had prepared. The bartender reached and handed him a list of the brews on tap pointing out that all were made fresh here in the back.

Quickly scanning Terrance saw that that they offered a trial size of 5 different brews. He asked to try them and sat the paper down.

Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA
    Diana realizing that Terrance felt embarrassed put her hand on his forearm getting his attention and leaned over and apologized, stating sometimes her ornery nature got the best of her. As Terrance looked her in the eye he noticed that she looked remorseful and could see that she didn’t mean to embarrass him.

Terrance took a deep breath and said it was ok, he just wasn’t used to being out, in public, with a woman, pausing in between each part of his statement for effect. Diana quickly changed the subject to discussing the different beers that the bartender would be bringing for him to sample.

Terrance remarked to the mention of a bourbon flavored beer. She asked if he was a bourbon drinker. His reply was one she didn’t expect. “If your guy ran a complete file on me you should know what I normally drink.” She smiled and said ‘I didn’t read the complete file, just the high points. I wanted to get to know you myself.” Which kind of threw Terrance off kilter as he didn’t think he was that interesting a guy.

As the bartender went over the 5 selections that made up the samples Terrance felt Diana lean over closer as if to listen in as if she didn’t know about the beers already. He was a little shocked but did not let it show when he felt her hand on his thigh as her lean increased. She was very physical. Something he was not used to.

Once the bartender finished Diana turned and looked at Terrance, their faces less than a hand apart and asked “Like what you see?” Terrance sat back slightly with a confident nod and replied “so far” and they both giggled and got comfortable.

Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA
    Diana finished her amber beer as Terrance finished tasting the last of the brews, his face told her all she needed to know about his enjoyment of the bourbon flavored beer in fact none of the beers they had on tap were tasty to Terrance. Diana suggested they take a walk, then find a place to maybe grab a bite to eat. Terrance mentioned that they weren’t too far from the canal. Diana seemed to be impressed. For this being a place he obviously hadn’t been to or frequented Terrance must have looked or he knew the area.

Sounds lovely she replied. The bartender having over heard their conversation sat the check in front of Terrance who quickly snatched it up. Diana said “Oh no Mr. Johns, my treat. I invited you out.” To which Terrance shook his head as he pulled a couple of bills from his wallet and slid them and the check back to the bartender looking directly at him and saying thank you, the universal sign meaning keep the change.

Once they got outside Diana commented that maybe she should retrieve a jacket from her car. Terrance replied that he should probably grab one as well. After donning their jackets the two walked through the parking lot and down the block to the canal.

After about an hour walking by the canal and around the fountain they were back at the parking lot where Terrance’s bike and Diana’s cars were. Terrance asked Diana “Want to take a ride around downtown? Around the circle? Diana simply nodded and they took off. After a nice ride downtown Terrance stopped after a lap around the around the circle and parked on the outer edge of the circle.
    They sat and talked for a little on the steps of the monument, Diana suggested they stop off at Barkersfield, for a light diner, Terrance thought that would be great. They got back on the bike and rode to the restaurant.

Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA
    As they talked and ate Terrance felt comfortable with Diana. After they ate Diana remarked that Terrance only had one drink to which Terrance held his hands up “motorcycle style” and made the throttle motion with his right hand. Diana having had a few drinks realized he was being responsible and that she might be a little tipsy or so she acted.

As the waiter brought the check she mentioned that she might have to call a cab. Terrance nodded and then offered to take her home. Diana’s reply made them both chuckle, “Why Mr. Johns, do you think I am just going to let you take me to your house?” She insisted that she would call for a cab and that his gesture was very gentlemanly like.

Terrance asked how she would get to her car in the morning, she remarked that she could have her son drop her off. “Your son?” Terrance asked. It was then that Diana realized she hadn’t shared much in the way of personal details about herself to Terrance. She sat up straight and remarked, yes I have a 17 year old son. His name is Adam. He is a Senior at Shortrun High School. He used to go to Northern Community but there was always trouble there and it was affecting his grades so I moved him to the IB school not too far from there. It is a much better learning environment.

Terrance insisted on taking her home. Stating there was no need to call for a cab. Diana joked, “You just want to know where I live don’t ya?” Terrance smiled and remarked “What kind of gentleman would I be if I let a lady I had spent the evening with ride home in a dirt old cab.” To which Diana replied, “Well you will need to take it easy, as you are on two wheels and I am not used to riding with strange men." The couple giggled as they got up and walked out of the restaurant. As Terrance fired up his bike he asked Diana for her address, she kind of looked at him strangely as a joke to which he pointed at his phone and said “For the GPS..”

Diana replied as a matter of factly “Well if you must know Mr. Johns, I live at 4265 Eagle Drive.” And Terrance put it into the GPS on his phone, started the route and clipped his phone into the mount. He got on the bike and motioned for Diana to get on.

Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA
    As she wrapped her arms around his waist she whispered in his ear, “Be gentle..” His “always” reply made her smile. Terrance rode back to the car, told the bar keep the car was going to sit until morning, “No problem” the bartender replied, “Here leave this card in the dash over the VIN number so the tow company knows it is ok” and he gave Terrance a card from the bar with the managers name on it. “Thanks” Terrance replied and slid the man a $20 bill. The bartender first tried to insist that he didn’t need the tip and remarked that it was unusual for someone to check about leaving a car sit over night. Terrance insisted and thanked him and walked out of the bar.

Terrance had Diana unlock her car and left the card in the dash to cover the VIN. He places one of his cards next to it figuring that they would call him if they needed it moved. Walking back to Diana who was comfortably sitting on the back of his bike he remarked “It should be fine, go ahead and lock it.” Diana locked it and put her key fob back in her small purse and slung it over her head making sure it was securely closed and ready for the ride home.

It was nearly midnight by the time they got to Diana’s house. In the driveway sat a beautiful square body Chevy Pickup, short bed, 4x4 with a factory blue paint job sitting proudly on 35 inch heavy lug tires.

Next to it was a newer 4 door jeep, mostly stock except for the snorkel and LED lights. Terrance remarked about them both. Diana filled him in. The truck was her son’s. Adam had bought it and restored it with the help of a friend and his dad. It was his pride and joy. He earned all of the money himself and was very proud of the truck.

She explained the Jeep was his current project and that he had plans to lift it and do a bunch of other modifications and upgrades as money and time allowed. Terrance walked Diana to the door. She fumbled for her keys. Terrance couldn’t figure out if it was because she was cold, a little tipsy still or because she was waiting for him to kiss her.

Terrance being prepared pulled a small light from his pocket and added a little illumination for her to find her keys. She thanked him and then turned and gave him a big hug and thanked him for a wonderful evening and seeing her to the door. Terrance held on to her for a long minute, feeling her tone figure and as he realized the energy that was between them he cautiously let go, evidently before she wanted as she let out a slight grunt of disappointment and looked down at the ground.

Terrance helped her with the door, said goodnight and left. He thought to himself as he left the subdivision Diana lived in that it was near the Eagle Air Park. He recalled that years back he had installed some small plane hangers there as part of a small expansion they had gone through.

Tuesday came and went without any word from Diana. Wednesday afternoon Terrance sent her a text, “It was nice to spend time with you, hope to have the chance to do it again soon.” It was nearly 5 PM when Terrance received a reply. It read “Mr. Johns, I admittedly feel embarrassed that you had to bring me home after our evening out this past Monday. Thank you for seeing me home, you are a true gentleman.”

Terrance replied, “It was my pleasure.” Diana then sent back, “If you would allow me to make it up to you, YES I would like to see you again. Perhaps a movie and then late dinner with non-alcoholic beverages? LOL” to which Terrance sent back a winking smiley face. The character he received back made him giddy as a school boy. It was a yellow smiley face blowing him a kiss.

Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA
    The evening was great. Terrance picked her up in Ms. Kitty, they both wanted to see the same movie, both enjoyed it. They ate a simple late dinner at a steak burger joint. Terrance had her back home by 11PM and walked her to the door as a gentleman should.

As they both enjoyed the hug Terrance encouraged himself to kiss her if he had the chance. Diana must have also been coaching herself because as they let go of each other and their eyes locked they both moved closer and as natural as could be enjoyed a first kiss.

Terrance couldn’t have been smiling any more as he walked down her drive and got in Ms. Kitty still idling at the end of the drive. He slowly backed out and headed home thinking how great it would be if things were to keep growing. But as he pulled down his road thoughts of Alia’s mother created a guiltiy feeling in his gut. A burning ache that made him feel bad for letting thoughts of another woman into his heart.

As he pulled into the drive and got out to open the gate it donned on him. She would want you happy he told himself. She would want you to fill the void that was left for so many years. As Terrance put Ms. Kitty to bed and walked into the house Knotty could smell Diana on his clothes and felt that something was bothering him. She plopped down and they both went to sleep.

Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA
    Terrance woke up early, having had trouble sleeping all night. He tried to focus on work and the weekend plans with Alia. As he got to the office a few minutes after 7 Terrance wondered when he would be getting the specs for the groups project.

About 11 AM as it turned out. Terrance was going over some other project budgets when Ms. Jameson buzzed in, “Yes” Terrance responded after hitting the button on the desk phone. Mr. Johns there is a courier here with a package for you.” Terrance explained to her to have reception escort him up.

It wasn’t completely unusual for a courier to bring documents to Terrance but it was however odd that there were two of them, armed, with a briefcase chained to the wrist. Terrance could see them come walking through the management foyer, the receptionist leading the men right to Terrance’s office.

As the chained courier walked in with his security officer in tow the receptionist introduced Terrance to the man. He nodded and stood there waiting for her to be dismissed. Terrance thanked her and asked her to close the door. He then pushed his intercom and told Ms. Jameson that he did not want to be disturbed. “Yes Mr. Johns” and she was gone.

“Gentlemen, Do you have some paperwork for me?” He asked in a jovial manner. Just as he went to sit down the security officer asked for his ID. Terrance kind of joked, “Like you don’t know who your intended recipient looks like?” “I know” he continued, “You must need it as a formality.” Terrance reached in his pocket and withdrew his wallet, pulled his drivers license out and showed it to the man.
    The man with the briefcase chained to his wrist motioned to ask permission to put the titanium metal case on the corner of Terrance’s desk, Terrance made a by all means hand gesture and the man sat the case down and moved to the side.

After verifying his ID and checking it against a paper he had retrieved from his coat pocket he handed the ID back and then reached into a front pocket and pulled out a key. He turned the key to the right on both locks of the briefcase. Then the man it was attached to flipped the center 6 number dials and the latches popped open. He then turned the case towards Terrance and opened it up.
    Terrance had this kind of security couriers deliver papers before but it had been awhile. He retrieved the packet of information and then stuck to a note in the lid of the case was a key, the note read give to couriers. It was the key to the cuff that chained the man to the case. Their deliver complete, there was no need for the case to remain on the man’s wrist.

Terrance signed the multipart form on the top of the packet and returned the copies to the men. They said thank you, and they left Terrance’s office. Terrance sat down and opened the packet. Pulling out the stack of paperwork he noticed a note on the top, he started to read it, then his phone beeped, he hit the button, do you need anything Mr. Johns” Ms. Jameson asked, “hold my calls, I will be staying in for lunch today” he replied. She then asked what he would like, He replied with a general “surprise me in about an hour” and she said will do and the phone went silent.

Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA
    The note read, Mr. Johns. Enclosed are the plans and specifications for both our Indianapolis area hangar and the Montana hangar. If things go as expected we will want them both completed by the end of 2016. Terrance laughed, special considerations, high security and they want them both done in 16 months? Ha he thought. We will see about that. It will cost them.
    Terrance had the paperwork spread all over his small conference table in the corner of his office when lunch arrived. Ms. Jameson knocked, Terrance said enter and she brought in a nice box lunch for Terrance.

As she sat it on the corner of his desk she read the top of the box, “white turkey on white with lettuce tomato and Miracle Whip and a small bag of Cheetos, will that suffice?” Terrance deep in thought nodded, she knew why he was staying in for lunch and went to the small fridge disguised as a wooden cabinet on the opposite side of the office and retrieved a bottle of Diet Pepsi to complete the meal and then asked if there would be anything else. “No mam” Terrance replied. “Thank you.”

As she approached the door Terrance said “Oh Ms. Jameson” she stopped and faced him, “Yes sir?” Terrance continued, “I will be leaving around 2:30, if there isn’t anything pressing after that please take the rest of the afternoon off. I just want to confirm with Security that we have things set for the weekend and I will be leaving as soon as I finish this work.” “Yes sir, will do and thank you sir” and then she left closing the door behind her.

Terrance finished up the figures he was making on his scratch pad. He had a few notes that the group wouldn’t be liking. Whomever designed the hangar wasn’t familiar with the hardware for the doors and didn’t leave enough room in one area and there was another issue on the roof line. “Must have been an architect who designed this with no engineering oversight.” He spoke out loud.
    Nothing really major to Terrance or his firm but he couldn’t build what they designed, it just wouldn’t work. So he would have to have his guys redesign it. As he thought this he fumbled through the pile of stuff on the table and found a thumb drive. Terrance was sure it must contained copies of the drawings for his guys to rework.

He moved over to his desk, pulling the tray with lunch around to where he could reach it as he reached down and plugged in the thumb drive. It was encrypted. He hit the hint prompt and it said “A’s first date.” He tried Alia’s birthday, it worked. He laughed at the security this group used. Once the files opened and he uploaded them to an encrypted folder on the company’s secure project drive. It was locked down and he set the access tracking and authorization when he set up the folder.

For now only four people would have access. Terrance quickly sent out a memo about the project letting everyone know about the file access and that he would be getting with them next week to discuss it.

Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA
    After finishing lunch and a few other odds and ends Terrance decided to take a walk through the facility, something he did from time to time to make sure everything was as he liked it. It also was a good opportunity for him to shake the hands and motivate his devoted family of employees.

As he walked down the back stairwell to the machine floor he was greeted by a couple of employees who were loitering in the stairwell. He took the time to notice their names and what they looked like, he would scan the employee records and see if it was something he needed to mention to their supervisors and the security folks. Terrance of all people knew that from time to time you needed a break, or privacy, he didn’t smell any smoke or other odd smells as he passed the men but it wasn’t a normal place to find two guys talking.

Walking through the large CNC machines which made the door parts he realized he should have put some earplugs in or grabbed his electronic muffs. He scanned the area for a dispenser and realized he would either have to back track or grin and bear it. He chose to keep walking. His safety glasses were always on his head, he always had them but it had been years since he kept ear plugs on a lanyard around his neck. He wished he had them then.

As soon as Terrance got to an ear plug dispenser he put in a pair. Ah, his sensitive ears were ringing. Some of the machines made a lot of noise, sometimes the machining process itself did. Just as he was able to put his plugs in he was approached by the floor manager and shift supervisor for the area.

The supervisor spoke up rather loudly over the noise. “Mr. Johns, we didn’t know there was a tour planned today.” Terrance smiled and replied, “There isn’t, just taking a walk, don’t mind me, I am just out for a stroll.” Knowing the man to be fair and not overly investigative the two men looked at one another and returned to their duties. Everyone knew who Terrance was, it was his company, but it wasn’t so big that he didn’t know them.

Walking around the outer wall of the building Terrance was sure to stay in the designated pedestrian walkways, so he didn’t have to contend with power industrial truck (fork lift) traffic. His safety department had kept up on the PIT/PED requirements and was beginning to implement new procedures and restrictions for personnel walking in the warehouse where there were mostly PITs running around. He knew if he stayed in the blue painted walkways or in the production areas he wouldn’t be getting scolded by his HSE people.

Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA
    Much like a doctor can overrule a CO in the military his HSE people were instructed to take the job serious and no matter who committed an infraction it was to be brought to light, discussed and responded to. Gross negligence was not tolerated nor was any kind of malicious or vandalizing acts.

Terrance put safety above everything. The health and wellbeing of his employees was always number one. His moto of Family First was just as important. Having recently passed the 18 year anniversary of the founding of Avion Terrance was full of pride that in those years no one had been killed while on the job, no one had lost a limb on the job and other than a few hand or eye injuries due to negligence their safety record was intact. The number of safe work days was well over 700. Terrance had always said he would rather lose money than lose someone’s ability to earn a living.

With a beep and a glimmer of a blue light on the floor at an intersection Terrance knew to stop. A PIT was coming through and even though pedestrians had the right of way he was sure the operator of that truck could not see him before it was too late so he waited. Making a mental note to tell HSE to investigate the addition of a fish eye mirror at the intersection he waited.

As the truck passed traveling backwards, load last as he called it, he recognized the operator. It was Marco Rodelas, a friend of Alia’s, who had been working for the company since he was old enough to. First sweeping up, then cleaning up after the machine operators and now lead material handler on A shift.

Marco was studying machining at the local junior college on a scholarship that Terrance made sure he got. It felt good to be able to setup scholarships for employees or children of employees. It was a good pay back and was good for the business. All he asked was to be kept in the loop and invited to graduation.

As Terrance continued his walk he went out to the edge of the finishing department and around towards the engineering offices. They were just inside the production offices around the corner from shipping and receiving. As Terrance walked by the window of the security office he caught the glimpse of a uniformed man. He stopped and walked in the Security office. His head of security Martin Lawels was speaking with the man in the uniform.

“Well Mr. Johns what a surprise, no one let me know you would be stopping by for a visit” Martin interrupted the man in uniform, Terrance grinned and looked at through the glass partition into the next room where two men had over a dozen monitors in front of them and looked back at the small mountain of a man who was his head of security. “Guess they were too scared to tell you I was on a walk about.”

“Well actually” Martin started, “I have been talking with our weekend security contractor, Mr. Barry,” Terrance interrupted as the man was turning around to shake hands, “Mr. Barry Marrow.” Terrance knew the man. They shook hands vigorously as Martin stood there with his mouth open. “Uh, how,” Martin started to ask when Barry spoke up, “been a long time Captain.” Terrance replied “Yes, yes it has Sergeant Major. How the hell are you?”

Most people didn’t hear Terrance curse. But this was the security office and he was with brothers. “Doing fine sir” Barry answered. “Oh and no sir here Barry, call me Terrance.” “Well Terrance” Barry said laughingly, “I am here at the request of our Commander over at OpOne Security to make sure we have everything understood and in place to cover your site security over the weekend.”

“Ah ok, well to be honest if you are in charge I have complete confidence.” Terrance spoke confidently. “Oh well no sir, I will not be in charge. Not directly, one of our well experienced supervisors will be along with a select few officers who have passed muster to do a walk through at Sixteen Hundred. I am just making sure we are all up to speed on your procedures, protocols and equipment. He is in with your security administrator now going over the paperwork. I am just the dog and pony show master he said jokingly.” The men knew exactly what was going on. Things didn’t have to be spelled out among Marines.. Sometimes ya just “got it” because it was drilled into you.

Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA
    “Ah, OK” Terrance said turning to Martin, “I am sure that with the Sergeant Majors oversight that the security of Avion over the weekend will be covered.” Martin held up a hand with one finger extended and asked Terrance “Can I speak to you in my office for a minute?” Martin asked Barry to excuse them for just a moment and explained that he would be right back.

Barry nodded and the two men stepped down the hall past the administrator’s office where Terrance noticed a man reviewing a large binder with Martian’s administrator Tom Fortner. As Terrance followed Martin into his office Martin shut the door and motioned for him to take a seat. Terrance shrugged it off and stayed standing.

“What can I do for you Martin, is there a problem with using these guys?” he asked. Martin shook his head, “Oh no sir, these guys come highly recommended, I have vetted them and each of their employees they have scheduled. They are all top notch, some of the best in town. But I will warn you, they aren’t cheap.” Terrance smiled “I am sure they will be worth every penny.” He continued, “What can I help you with?”

Martin continued, “It’s one of our security employees, Carl Dubois, I am concerned he may have some sort of issue at home.” “OK??” Terrance replied, as if to say isn’t this something for you to handle or HR to handle? Why would you be bringing this to me kind of Okays..

“Well sir, I think he is struggling with PTSD. He and his wife have had some issues, I know he hasn’t stayed at home a few nights in the last month and he was really wanting to work all weekend I think to avoid whatever is bothering him at home.”

“AH, ok, well, have you suggested he contact our EAP?” Terrance asked. Martin softly said “He won’t sir, he is too proud.” “Where is he at now?” Terrance asked. Martin answered “Out at the back receiving gate guard shack.” “Is anyone with him?” Terrance asked. ”No sir, he is alone” Martin replied. To which Terrance semi-glared at Martin for leaving the kid alone with his thoughts. “I keep tapping into the camera out there to check on him and he is listening to head phones.” “Is that allowed to do that?” Terrance asked thinking that a security guard listening to headphones is like a blind driver piloting a race car around a track.

Martin responded, “Actually sir, it is a grey area and we haven’t really updated the policy to reflect that.” Acting as if someone had already brought that issue to light. He continued “So long as he can hear the radio or can see the light on the phone then it’s not been a problem in the past.”

Terrance spoke, “Well once you get back from the long weekend I would like to schedule some meetings and maybe we can utilize those OpOne folks to cover us while we do some update training for your guys.” Martin was nodding his head as Terrance continued, “And we will clean up any grey areas in the policies.” “Yes sir” Martin responded.

Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA
    Martin asked, “What would you like me to do about Dubois?” Terrance replied, “I will take a walk out there, have a word with him and then we will let him decide what he wants to do. If he shows any sort of instability I want to know immediately. Also follow the lead that HR gives you. Keep them in the loop. I don’t want to aggravate the situation but we need to keep ourselves protected and make sure he gets the help he needs.”

“Alright sir, and this weekend?” Martin asked. “Send him home. Let the contractors handle the security over the weekend.” “Yes sir, thank you sir, I am sorry to bring this to you like this but its only been brought up in the last day since you sprang it on us that we have the entire weekend off.” Martin looking down at his desk felt bad bothering the big boss about it but knew he would have sound advice.
    “I understand” Terrance replied, “we are all family.” “Yeap” Martin said, “Family First.” With that Martin stood up walked over to the door and opened it, shook Terrance’s hand and the men walked down the hall to where Mr. Marrow was discussing things with the Supervisor who had finished with Tom.

“Hello Mr. Johns” Tom said as Terrance walked by his office. Terrance stopped, looked in and asked, “Hello Mr. Fortner, everything ship shape for the weekend?” To which Tom replied “Oh yes sir. We are good to go. And thank you for the extra time off.” “Excellent” Terrance replied, “thanks for the quick work and you are welcome.” “Thank you Mr. Johns, my pleasure.” Tom smiled and Terrance walked on down the hall.

Terrance caught up to Martin and Barry and the supervisor. Barry introduced Terrance to the serious looking young man, probably in his late 20’s. Terrance’s mind was on young Carl Dubois and his issues and he didn’t register the young man’s name. If Barry trusted the kid he would.

Terrance interrupted the conversation by saying “Gentlemen I have some business to attend to, I have full confidence in all of you that Avion will remain safe all weekend.” “Martin” he shook Martin’s hand, “Barry” he shook Barry’s hand, “uh” Terrance muttered. Sensing he couldn’t remember his name the young supervisor extended his hand, “Alex sir” the young man filled in the blank of Terrance’s mind, “Alex” Terrance repeated as he shook his hand. “You all have a safe weekend. Pleasure seeing you and meeting you” and Terrance left the security office.

Instead of walking by the First Aid Room and around the corner past the reception desk to the front stairs Terrance walked back out towards the back gate. He was briskly walking with a purpose. Looking at his watch he realized it was getting close to the time he wanted to leave, early, but this couldn’t wait. Terrance would never turn his back on a fellow vet who might be fighting demons.

Top Bottom