Storing your firearm in your vehicle at College?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Isn't there current pending legislation that would make state schools follow the same rules of how firearms are treated as any other "governmental entity" has to follow?

MadMan66

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 7, 2012
    Hogshitt's Paradise
    If you are worried about violating school policy, just know that most colleges see storing a firearm in your car on campus the same as carrying one on your person. I've been enrolled at 3 different college/universities here in IN, and most will have a section about this in their "student handbook." Just know, that it is not illegal (so long as not in the same building as a day care), but you risk expulsion in all cases. That is something you will have to do a personal risk/gain assessment and decide for yourself.

ChevyNova1970

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2015
    Northwest
    What if I parked on the street? There is a side street next to my campus. Legally, am I on a public street not owned by the college. So I could store in my vehicle still?

TaunTaun

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    Parking on the side of a public street. Perfectly legal and not campus property. This is how I avoid possible expulsion.

Tyler-The-Piker

Boondock Saint
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    ><(((((*>
    What if I parked on the street? There is a side street next to my campus. Legally, am I on a public street not owned by the college. So I could store in my vehicle still?

having your gun locked in your car on a public street not owned by the school should not get you expelled.
    having your gun locked in your car on a public street in Gary, IN is a whole 'nother ballgame my friend...

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Well, after all the back and forth, here is the actual policy in question:
    http://www.ivytech.edu/policies/safety.pdf
    Arms/Deadly Weapons/Explosives/Chemicals
    Possession of firearms (except those possessed by police or campus securityofficers) and other weapons, dangerous chemicals, or any explosive or explosivedevice is prohibited on College property or at any College sponsored activity heldelsewhere. No student shall use or threaten to use firearms, other weapons,dangerous chemicals, or any explosive or explosive device on College property orat any College sponsored activity held elsewhere. A harmless instrumentdesigned to look like a firearm, explosive, or weapon that is used by a person tocause fear in or assault of another person is included within the meaning of afirearm, explosive, or weapon.

dprimm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Just West of Indianapolis
    Two major problems with their policy. First, they require following all state laws. Which the second policy violates (in INGO interpretation. Progressive interpretation is different.)

Second, how is "Weapon" defined? Many of us recognize that pencils/pens can be used as weapons. Put me in a chemistry lab and there are many things that can quickly become weaponized.

The biggest problem is who can afford the legal fight on this?

Top Bottom