Storing your firearm in your vehicle at College?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ChevyNova1970

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2015
    Northwest
    Hey everyone,

I need some help trying to figure out if it's lawful to keep your firearm in your vehicle while you attend college. I go to Ivy Tech College(Gary,IN) and when I get onto the property, I never leave my vehicle with my firearm. I keep in its IWB holster and put it in my trunk. It's double locked inside of a second compartment inside of the trunk also. I know you can't carry on the college grounds right now and it's a big controversy. However, I don't see the problem with it staying in my vehicle.

I am just trying to figure out if this is okay or not. I don't want to be expelled from school and lose everything I've worked for. I'm a year through. Even worse, I don't want to be criminally charged and lose my gun rights and possibly my future for law enforcement.

Any Feedback would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Streck-Fu

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Noblesville
    You may have it locked in the vehicle on school grounds.

Article describing the passing of the law: LINK

You may review the sate laws here: LINK

Currently, there is no law prohibiting carry on college campuses rather school policies prohibit carry. There is an effort to pass a law permitting license holders to carry. LINK

Last edited:

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    It is perfectly legal. Heck, it's even legal to carry in the buildings. BUT it is against policy. I carried when I had to take evening classes there.

bigus_D

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Country Side
    To be clear, if somebody reports you after seeing you with the gun during transition to double locked trunk box, the school can expel you for having the gun against policy.

LP1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Friday Town
    A thief might also see you putting something in the trunk when you park. He will then know that a) there's something valuable in the trunk and b) he has at least an hour to get it.

While I don't like to be unarmed, my thoughts would be to either leave it at home (uncomfortable) or carry it VERY discreetly, probably in a backpack (risk of expulsion). Leaving it in the car would be my last choice.

TaunTaun

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    No it isn't, considering it is already legal. Now, if we are talking about restricting public universities from making policies against firearms (and other protected rights), that is a different conversation, and I would agree.

The new statute needed is removing the ability for public colleges to set "gun laws" that conflict with the state.

Top Bottom