• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CapBuster49

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 24, 2009
    With some Freaks
    M4 as home defense I dont reccomend especially in a vinyl village unless 9mm. Literally the 223 round could probably penetrate 10 of those double wides. Listen to the experts and go with a 12 gauge. I love my Saiga 12 with the 12 round mag full of slugs. with the bolt hold open just feature u dont have to keep one in the donkey. If you need more rounds then that your in trouble. Cant you get 30 round mags for the Glock 19?

henry0reilly

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Mar 12, 2009
    Montgomery County
    I live alone except for my dog so unauthorized access isn't an issue for me. I keep a 20 gauge in a rack mounted over the bedroom door. I almost have stand on tippy toe to reach it so when I do have company it's not likely any small children could get at it (and they shouldn't be in my bedroom anyway)

Rob Pincus

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Hey guys, just a quick comment:
    I like the Box o Truth and they usually do a good job, but consider the format of their penetration test with the 5.56.. They didn't test drywall in a realistic context. The tumbling of the 5.56 round is what causes it to break up and loose energy (through striking surfaces other than point first). The link a few pages ago showed drywall sheets spaced an inch or two apart, with many sheets in a row... in reality, sheets a 3-4 inches apart in pairs and then separated by many feet between pairs. This allows more deviation and more tumbling between each sheet and explains the differences in the "results" of each test.
    I have repeated the test that was referenced with realistic wall sections and spacing many times (several on video for DVD or TV) and the results are consistent: pistol bullets maintain more potential for damage through more simulated walls/rooms than 5.56 rounds.

-RJP

JByer323

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Noblesville, IN
    M4 as home defense I dont reccomend especially in a vinyl village unless 9mm. Literally the 223 round could probably penetrate 10 of those double wides. Listen to the experts and go with a 12 gauge. I love my Saiga 12 with the 12 round mag full of slugs. with the bolt hold open just feature u dont have to keep one in the donkey. If you need more rounds then that your in trouble. Cant you get 30 round mags for the Glock 19?

You really think slugs are going to penetrate less then 5.56? Seriously?

Tell you what, go find a bank or convenience store that is closing, and con them out of as many pieces of ballistic glass you can. Now shoot them was various things.

Then be all surprised when the 5.56 doesn't penetrate, and the slugs pop through like **** through a goose...

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Might sound silly but what are those magnetic holsters they make that can be screwed and mounted anywhere? You could get pretty creative with locations using those.

FAST Holster. And they work like a charm with handguns. Haven't tried them with carbines or shotguns.

Well worth the $20, IMHO.

Bruenor

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2008
    Pendleton
    Remember, the first line of defense in your house begins long before your bedroom. Having strong doors with good locks is a first, and making sure that they are locked each night is important. As soon as I get home, I go inside and lock the door behind me. My wife knows that whenever we are at home, the doors are locked. In the evening, the same applies to windows. Windows are locked, and drapes are closed. No one can see in that way.

Next, our outside lights are on at night. Intruders don't like well lit areas. Maintain your outside lights and use them.

Here's the set up that I want to put in my house.

TuF Ultra Door Alarm - Available at Walgreens, and there are similar products at other stores. I'm going to be installing one of these on the front door, back door, and garage door. If someone opens the door while its on, the alarm goes off at 110 decibels, waking me up and hopefully causing the person to flee.

My bedroom door is locked at night. It only has a lock on the handle, and is pretty cheap at that, but it would at least slow someone down. Plus, with the set-up of my house, it would take someone a while to get from any of the outside doors to our bedroom door.

GunVaule Mini Deluxe Handgun Safe - A handgun safe, similar to this one, will go by my bed. I may buy two, and put one on my wife's side of the bed as well. It has a touch code combination, but also has a key backup if you forget the code. The door is spring activated, so it pops open once the locking mechanism is disengaged. At that point, I have accessed to my CZ-75BD chambered in 9mm, 16 round in the magazine, one in the chamber, ready to fire. If I put one on my wife's side, that's where my S&W .32 goes, until she picks out her own gun (plus that way she'll stop stealing my CZ when we go to the range ;) ).

I haven't figured out how to better secure the windows. To open them, someone would have to break the glass, then reach in and open the latch. I'm hoping that I would hear that and wake up, but I might now. I suppose I could put those door alarms on the windows as well, but I'd have to think further about that.

Another thought that I had was to install a pair of halogen lights in the bedroom facing the door, with a switch by the bed. I hear the alarm going off, I grab my gun and then flip on the switch. Anyone coming into the room is now staring directly into these lights, with me crouched behind the bed behind them. They would be blinded, but illuminated very well for my shots. This might be a little overkill, but I always thought that it would be a good idea.

My gun safe goes in my closet, so I have access to anything else at a moments notice. That would either be my 12 gauge Winchester, or my .44 magnum lever action. Either would work just fine, but my wife is more comfortable with the .44, so that's probably what I'd get out, just in case she needed to use it.

I've thought about getting a 9mm carbine specifically for home defense purposes. Loaded with JHP rounds, it would be a very good defense weapon inside the house, yet wouldn't be nearly as load as some of the rifles that I could choose. It would be easy to shoot, yet still be maneuverable, and my wife would be comfortable with it as well.

Apokalypsi

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Speedway
    One of my friends' dad has motion sensor light covering every inch of the outside of his house plus a camera on the driveway. Then if they actually get in the house, he's setup of motion sensor alarms in the main rooms of the house. Those things are loud as all getout too. I'm definitely focusing on protecting my house right.

Top Bottom