• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indiana18

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    I'm new to conceal. Is there a way to tell if a store or other business that have scanners/detectors at the doors are just for merchandice detection or have metal detectors too? Meaning, i would like to avoid setting off an alarm.

thanks,

MooreALX

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Hartford City
    I've never ran into a place that had detectors for anything other than tagged merchandise. If they did, every other person would set them off with a belt buckle or something.

Keep Calm and Carry...

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Those are not metal detectors.

Can you imagine them going off as EVERYONE came in and out? Keys, phones, pocket knives, show/boot parts, belts, jewelry, etc etc.

Relax. They're for product control.

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I've never ran into a place that had detectors for anything other than tagged merchandise. If they did, every other person would set them off with a belt buckle or something.

Keep Calm and Carry...

^^^^^^This^^^^^^ If you are really worried, buy a big *ssed belt buckle, and then you always have a built in excuse. ;)

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    I set a detector off once on my way out of Best Buy in Highland. Not sure if it was because of my piece or not. I held up my receipt so one of the guys near the door could see it. He just waved at me and I kept on walking. They did not seem concerned in the least.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Those are RF tag sensors. Nothing metal on your person will set them off.

ps - you don't have to stop if one of those goes off anyways.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    The "detectors" you see in many stores are simply RFID readers. The store tags merchandise with RFID tags for inventory control. If you set off the alarm when ENTERING (haven't bought anything yet), then you simply have something on your person that has an RFID security tag in/on it that was detected. As small as an RFID tag can be, it could be hidden in anything (wallet, purse, clothes, etc....).

My wife set these off pretty frequently. She just ignores it an keeps walking. There is so much crap in her purse, we have no way of knowing where the RFID chip is hidden. She has yet to be "detained" by store security, and I would hate to be the poor sap that actually tried.

So, don't worry about setting of any alarms with a gun. And, if an alarm DOES go off, it wasn't the gun that did it, so just keep on truckin'.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    If you look at the frames of detectors they have set up they don't go completely to the ground.
    There is about 18" of space at ground level.

I recommend that you crawl in the doorway UNDER the sensor thereby not setting off the alarms.

serf

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 25, 2012
    Greenwood
    Banks are the only place I've seen weapons detectors (aka mantraps)... and they are very clearly marked. I don't go near banks that use these.... they are usually in urban areas.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    As others have said, you are not required to stop. I've set them off at Walmart when the cashier decided that it was too hard to actually drag the item over the deactivation pad, and I enjoyed watching the door greeter's head explode when they tried to understand the fact that I refused to stop and show them my receipt.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Even if you set off a detector, so what? You are not obligated to allow them to search your person in any way, even if they have a sign that says "We reserve the right to inspect all packages, etc.). You don't even have to open your coat if you don't want to.

pokersamurai

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    LaPorte
    I'm new to conceal. Is there a way to tell if a store or other business that have scanners/detectors at the doors are just for merchandice detection or have metal detectors too? Meaning, i would like to avoid setting off an alarm.

thanks,

I was concerned about this too, that is why I bought a Glock 7.

A Glock 7 is a German made handgun that is constructed entirely of porcelain. It is capable of passing through any metal detector (including airport metal detectors) completely unnoticed. The only downside to this amazing weapon is the price. Their MSRP is more than a Dulles International Airport Police Chief makes in a month.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Mishawaka
    I set a detector off once on my way out of Best Buy in Highland. Not sure if it was because of my piece or not. I held up my receipt so one of the guys near the door could see it. He just waved at me and I kept on walking. They did not seem concerned in the least.

re the bold text: "sheep" :D

When I purchase something and step away from the cash register, my transaction is completed and the merchandise is mine. On my way out, if I set off their detectors, it's their fault for not de-activating them. If they ask to see my receipt, I calmly say "maybe next time" and keep walking. They have no right to 'see my papers' or 'inspect my packages' once I've paid.

If the store has an evident policy of checking EVERY receipt, I will follow suit but I won't be profiled because I set off their detector, or have something in the cart that looks awry. (you get some nasty looks that way too LOL)

MTubbs1

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 8, 2012
    If you look at the frames of detectors they have set up they don't go completely to the ground.
    There is about 18" of space at ground level.

I recommend that you crawl in the doorway UNDER the sensor thereby not setting off the alarms.
    :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Top Bottom